The holy grail (For me anyway) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

The holy grail (For me anyway)

I had just gotten finished hanging out with a friend when I went to Komehyou, a local used shop (they have like 3 buildings, one is clothing and stuff, one is where you take stuff you wanna sell, then the other is their camera/Music instrument building).

I walk in and I find.... a 1993 RG550 Candy apple So like the wind I snapped it up lol (I got a payment plan set up so I can afford to drop money into this endeavor )

So I talked to the guys there and it has been modded and most likely has seen better days but it sounds awesome. The pups were switch to direct mount it seems and I plan on reversing that at some point (I like my pups to be adjustable) but overall it plays great and sounds AMAZING. the V1/V2s are light years ahead in sound from the V7/V8s imo and they have an excellent tone to them. This baby was absolutely worth it

BTW if anyone sees anything wrong or something I should look at (or have looked at) please comment and let me know

PICS!

http://s22.photobucket.com/user/moda...ml?sort=4&o=13

http://s22.photobucket.com/user/moda...tml?sort=4&o=3

http://s22.photobucket.com/user/moda...tml?sort=4&o=4

http://s22.photobucket.com/user/moda...tml?sort=4&o=5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 AM

Reviews: 25
Re: The holy grail (For me anyway)

congrats... not one shot of the entire guitar... thats kinda weird !!
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
congrats... not one shot of the entire guitar... thats kinda weird !!
..I was gonna say..
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I was in a hurry, was stupidly busy today, ill put one up in a few. Gotta let my phone recharge a bit before i can take a decent full body shot.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Here we go, I could get the pic sooner than I had hoped

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

BTW, it cost me 39800 yen, which is around 400 USD for this thing, and even though there are some cosmetic things wrong with it, it's fairly good condition and plays fine so I felt it was worth the cost.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Great catch.

That is a very historical era of Ibanez and early-80s to early-90s was a time when they were getting noticed as one of the best and then cementing their reputation at the top. The RG like yours is very typical of why a lot of people ditched Jackson or stopped tearing up old SSS strats with humbuckers and Floyds. So good were those RGs that even Grunge did not kill them for the 90s/2000s like it did the Kramers, Charvels, and many Jacksons.

My holy grail is the Ibanez Blazer, but not so much because it was a name maker for Ibanez but that it's the way I discovered this company.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Great catch.

That is a very historical era of Ibanez and early-80s to early-90s was a time when they were getting noticed as one of the best and then cementing their reputation at the top. The RG like yours is very typical of why a lot of people ditched Jackson or stopped tearing up old SSS strats with humbuckers and Floyds. So good were those RGs that even Grunge did not kill them for the 90s/2000s like it did the Kramers, Charvels, and many Jacksons.

My holy grail is the Ibanez Blazer, but not so much because it was a name maker for Ibanez but that it's the way I discovered this company.
You've seen where some of the scratches and the paint blotch is where the previous owner tried to do something and screwed something up. Is modding or finding various cosmetic issues typical of most RG550/570/770s during this era? This is my first used guitar purchase, it was a total impulse purchase and I just made sure that it worked.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Oh and part of the reason this is my holy grail is because it's flat red. Recent Premiums and such have solid white/black/blue/yellow but nothing in red. I love red guitars and the color red in general and when I saw this was a 550 AND red, I just had to have it.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Reviews: 10

Great guitar - I love 550's! I have a black one from 1990 and it is my fave player, and I have some nice guitars (Jem, prestige, strat). that is a great catch - congratulations!!!
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Great guitar - I love 550's! I have a black one from 1990 and it is my fave player, and I have some nice guitars (Jem, prestige, strat). that is a great catch - congratulations!!!
I have 2 prestiges and an Indo-made 350EXZ. I've only had a little time to play this 550, but it just feels so amazing in the short time I've played it that I need to play it more. I also need to find good EQ settings for the pups. I know what the dimarzio IBZs and Gravity storms need but the V1/V2s i need some time to research.

I've been itching for a 550 for awhile, preferably something in pink or purple or something but the one color I ALWAYS wanted was candy apple and the fact I could find a 550 Candy apple was just like "OMG I'm going to die if i dont get this guitar." lol
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
"OMG I'm going to die if i dont get this guitar." lol
I think we've all been there a few times!
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 PM

Good buy. 550s are workhorses
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 120

Great find! Looks like a killer guitar.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM

Reviews: 1

Beautiful. Looks just like my '92 750 but with a maple board. Congrats. One of those 550s just sold for $600 not long ago. Here's my Candy Apple:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode