Honduras Mahogany? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Honduras Mahogany?

what ibanez models other than Prestiges are made of Honduras mahogany?
I recently discovered the cheap mahogany (African?) is much lighter and lacks the dense tone of Honduras Mahogany.
I tried out some imports of different brands recently and most MIK guitars are made of the cheap mahogany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:07 AM

Re: Honduras Mahogany?

Honduran mahogany was used by Gibson originally as a cheap substitute for rosewood, not because it exhibited holy grail tone qualities.

Most mahogany used to build electric guitars is the african variety due to the high cost of honduran, that includes standard Gibson models, Warmoth, Epiphone Elitists and other quality lines.

How do you know Prestige Ibanez models are made of honduran and not african mahogany?

The funny thing about the weight issue, is that most experienced players with access to vintage guitars made of old growth honduran mahogany claim the lightest guitars sound the best. My Epiphone Elitist has a solid african mahogany body with no weight relief holes and it weighs 8.75 lbs--pretty light for a Les Paul. It really all depends on the characteristics of the individual piece, not the source of the wood.

The guitar with the fattest tone in my possession is an Ibanez SZ720 that I paid $600 for. Ibanez says the body is mahogany, others say its nato, some form of cheap asian mahogany, but all I know is it sounds large.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 01:16 AM

Re: Honduras Mahogany?

Hmmm.. I don't recall Gibson substituting Rosewood for Honduras Mahogany, rather I recall it being from Korina to Mahogany(at least I believe that's what it was according to Ted Macarty).

Guitslinger is right with the cost of Honduras mahogany. Your typical african mahogany isn't that much worse than Honduras mahogany. If I can recall correctly, Honduras mahogany was more porous than typical mahogany in Africa and was therefore lighter. You still find Honduras mahogany on some hideously expensive Gibson Customs, PRS customs(very few though) as well as the Ibanez J-Custom line and ESP Customs. Mind you, you do pay extra for it.

Tags
electric guitar , ibanez models , les paul , mahogany body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode