Honest opinions of V7 & V8 Pickups - I'd like to know what y - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Honest opinions of V7 & V8 Pickups - I'd like to know what y

I hope this hasn't been done to death, because I did a search of the forum and couldn't find it.

I'd like to know what you guys really think of the V7 & V8 pickups. I've read people here and on harmony-central, some of whom say "They're great, don't switch", and others who say "They're crap". I know many of you are professoinals, I am not. As some of you know, I have an RG520. What is your honest opinion of these pickups?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:32 AM

Hones Opinions of V7 & V8

they're adequate for a stock pick up, but I already have Dimarzios on order for my RG421. (Which still are not in after 3 weeks).
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Which DiMarzio's? I know some folks like a Tone Zone and Air Norton in an RG, while the PAF-Pro and FRED are the combination of choice on a Satriani model. I've even heard someone say that on a mahogany body with a Floyd bridge, the muddiness of an Air Norton gets cancelled out. What to do, what to do.....
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 12:45 PM

if you put the gain around 4, they're not bad at all for stock, crunch enough.
but if you play all cranked up, better you go for a ToneZone or similar...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 12:50 PM

My RG421 is basswood, and I have a Tone Zone for the bridge, and a Air Norton for the neck on order. I also have a SC420 which is mahogany, and I will soon be ordering Breeds for that one.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 12:56 PM

Quote:
TenorKeith on 4:36 pm on Feb. 28, 2002
Which DiMarzio's? I know some folks like a Tone Zone and Air Norton in an RG, while the PAF-Pro and FRED are the combination of choice on a Satriani model. I've even heard someone say that on a mahogany body with a Floyd bridge, the muddiness of an Air Norton gets cancelled out. What to do, what to do.....
What to do.....? Play as many Di Marzio equiped guitars as possible and see what you like and what you don't like. Mix and match.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:16 PM

Reviews: 3

They are not a super distortion pickup... but they actually sound pretty good. *Great all around sound. *

If you decide to lose them... There ARE other pickup manufacturers than just DiMarzio.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:21 PM

I really like the v7/v8 pickups that came with my rg520qs and rg2020x. *I owned an RG3120TW and side by side I prefered the sound of the v7/v8's. *Overall the pickups really seem to enhance the guitars sensitivity to touch and pressure. *I recently upgraded the pickups in my 2020x to TZ/AN, after previously trying two evo's and being convinced that nothing could beat the sound of the v7/v8's I can honestly say that TZ/AN in mohagany is the best pu configuration. *Kind of funny that I thought the TZ sounded really bad in 3120. Anyway, the v7/v8's are an extremely close second (I am keeping them in my 520), the only issue with them is that in split coil mode, clean sounds are not as good as the dimarzio's. *I say if you have got some extra cash go ahead and get some dimarzio's but overall I think the v7/v8's are still great pickups.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:42 PM

Jay, there are Dimarz, and Duncan for shredders. and gibson, but yech. ive heard so much bad about duncan as of late, i take my dimarzios out every night and put them under my pillow

In my 270 i actually bought a used V8 to go in my bridge. i play with over drive rather than distortion and it didnt sound bad at all. however once i put my Super Distortion in there it was pure tone (gritty too! weeyaw!). I did try a number of duncans a while back, an unidentified pup which i later sold. and an SH-6 which i traded, both sounded pretty lame in my RG.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 03:02 PM

Wow! I'm surprised to see a number of people like the stock pickups! Me too!!! As others have said, they're maybe not as high-fidelity as some replacement pups but they sure are nice and warm and responsive.

* * Also, as Jay mentioned, they aren't super hot-output units either. I like that as I have a rather high-gain amp and I like to let the amp do most of the work. It gets to be a bit of a mess with high output pickups and a high gain amp, imho.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 03:26 PM

Quote:
BZ Beetle on 12:42 pm on Feb. 28, 2002
Jay, there are Dimarz, and Duncan for shredders. and gibson, but yech. ive heard so much bad about duncan as of late, i take my dimarzios out every night and put them under my pillow

In my 270 i actually bought a used V8 to go in my bridge. i play with over drive rather than distortion and it didnt sound bad at all. however once i put my Super Distortion in there it was pure tone (gritty too! weeyaw!). I did try a number of duncans a while back, an unidentified pup which i later sold. and an SH-6 which i traded, both sounded pretty lame in my RG.
Well aside from the Duncan Distortion, and maybe one or two others... the Duncans aren't really designed for that gain:10 mids:0 treble:10 bass: 10 shred tone. *That's probably why they sound bad compared to the DiMarzios which do all the distortion and EQ work for you. *Don't get me wrong, DiMarzios are good at what they're designed for... but just don't have as much character to them or something.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 03:27 PM

Then again... I prefer single coils... so I suppose I have no valid opinion here. *:-)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 03:47 PM

LoL

Im SURE there are exceptions out there, just IMHO any duncans ive tried (and ive tried many other than the ones ive owned) they just sound WEAK compared to a dimarzio in the same application. I play with an amp stand, and when i moved my amp from the floor to the stand it was disgusting how much tone went bye bye. because youre looking at the speaker dead on, and you can tell how much it really sucks. i play with an old super distortion, and i use my amp stand it its STILL got gobs of tone.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 04:01 PM

ooh... brave dude, you Jay!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 04:27 PM

Hey, *I* love single coil sounds. *Strat position 2 & 4 are among my favorite noises.

FWIW, I like the V1 & V2 in my SC620. *Not high gain jobs, but flexible. *Not a great single coil sound, but passable. *The pickup positions aren't right, so it could be that, too...

I also slightly prefer Duncans. *JB & little 59 are going into my main axe.

Tags
air norton , bridge hum , bridge pickup , coil mode , duncan distortion , epiphone les paul , high gain amp , high output pickups , les paul , mahogany body , output pickup , paf pro , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode