How *bad can it be?! - worst guitar you've ever owned - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 12:43 PM

How *bad can it be?!

Let's see...Yamaha FG200, Ibanez RG470NP, Ibanez RG520QSTK, DIllion DSS 7 strings, Schecter C-7 Diamond series, Ibanez USRG10, Yairi CY 130...heh, i haven't ever had any bad guitars ! : ) * I guess i would say the worst i had was the RG520. It was a Beautiful, great sounding,great playing guitar...but...there was something very wrong with the trem. It would absolutely NOT stay in tune. My Dad, and the guy that owns the guitar store that i bought it from couldn't tell that it was going out at all, but for me, having perfect pitch, it was absolutely killing me! I'm sure that it could have been fixed, probably fairly easily, but i hadn't even been playing guitar for that long whenever i got it, so i knew even less about guitar tech stuff than i do now. So i guess that's the worst guitar i've ever owned. I still want another one,though. Maybe a wine red one...-++ben++-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 09:04 PM

How *bad can it be?!

I've had a few turkeys, including an Ibanez EX somethingorother that was the first guitar I bought about 6 years ago after being away from it for 15 years (my wife left me :thumbsup: - okay, I wasn't so happy about it at the time ) *Anyway, I don't really feel I've got the right to complain about the EX - it wasn't a great guitar but what do you want for $150 :loco: *The Ibanez Bob Weir artist I had was a real top shelf POS tho'!! I could NOT intonate that mother and I'm like Jupiter - I've got (nearly) perfect pitch - so it was driving me CRAZY!!! Besides that, the thing weighed in over 13 lbs. and wouldn't stay in tune, was neck heavy and had a finish as thick as the wood it was slopped onto... I could've bought a Jem for what I sold it for, tho' :biggrin:
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 08:55 AM

How *bad can it be?!

I am one of the lucky few who can honestly say they,ve never owned a truly awful guitar. I had a strat copy to begin with which didn't sound great but was well set up and played nicely. Next was my beloved Fender Strat which I have played for years and still love to pieces. Finally I have my 7VWH. The creme de la creme of all the guitars I have ever owned.

All this talk of smashing things though makes me tempted to go out and buy a plywood cheapy to throw off a balcony!!:angryfire:

Matt
post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:29 AM
dex

Re: How *bad can it be?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
And a Fender Squire Strat that literally kept falling apart. Bolts would either break or strip out of the wood and the fretboard started to separate from the neck. I won this one so I could care less about it. We ended up dropping it from balconies to see how bad we could break it. We broke it real good! :biggrin:
Jeremy
Jeremy I think someone found that guitar and glued it back together

ilia
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:37 AM

The "worst" guitar I've ever had was a '63 Danelectro Convertible. It still played and sounded great, but...as far as price and construction, it was the cheapest guitar I've owned. I've been lucky enough to have never had to have a P.O.S.
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 02:04 PM

the worst guitar ive ever had was a Vintage (crappy JHS company division) les paul copy that didnt even look like like a LP - that was my first guitar
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 03:09 PM

Reviews: 3
I thought I posted in this thread... maybe it was a similar one.

Anyways, I have two...

My 3rd (?) bass was up there. It was a Global fretless(read - yanked out with pliers). SG body style, big soap bar pickups, horribly filled holes where the frets used to be. The bridge was crooked and rusty. There was lots of sharp pieces of metal sticking out. If you hit the open E string, it would go up to 1-2 steps in/out of tune while vibrating.

My first guitar (after playing bass for a while) was my worst 6 string. I built it myself. Got a $20 (yes $20) Jackson Rhoades body that was a factory mistake or something. The whole bridge was drilled out wrong. I managed to find an old Ibanez neck (from some sub-rg series) with a big crack in it that pretty much worked with it. I had some nasty Duncan distortion in the bridge and a random Gibson humbucker in the neck. The bridge was a generic OFR copy. Thing fell apart a few times (floyd randomly flew out of the body, when not even in use), rarely stayed in tune, hard to play. But it was still a neat guitar, just a horrible piece of crap.

I also have a budget classical sitting in my attic that I'm not too fond of. But it doesn't have any interesting story behind it.
post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 04:10 PM

I recently spent about $100 on a mini les paul put out by Lotus. I'm sure you've all seen them. While playing it in the store it seemed kinda "cute" and would be funny as sort of an eye catcher on stage while playing the songs "Little Things" by Bush and "All the Small Things" by Blink 182. It would NOT stay in tune after 1/2 a song. It's never made it to another gig and never will. It now rests on a shelf as a "knick knack".
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 10:20 AM

The worst guitar I ever owned was a Ibanez RG 470-Lefty. Absolute sack of crap with an LO TRS II trem, never stayed in tune, no matter what. After a month, I returned the guitar and got me a JEM 555-Lefty. When I say the JEM 555 I was a bit sceptical because it had the LO TRS II trem too, but for some reason it's very good on this guitar. The JEM 555 has been my axe since then and the trem hasn't failed me yet!

Regards

André

post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:49 PM

i have 1/2 sized $10 plywood classical guitar i bought from a kid one day
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 12:11 PM

Probably my first, an Epiphone Fat 210 (vintage sunburst), which may as well be a Strat. Not THAT bad, mostly the pickups suck. I plan on keeping it (sentimental value), and may put some EMGs in it for the hell of it.
post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 09:24 PM

Worst guitar I ever owned was some black Ibanez RG with a single locking floyd from guitar center. I took that POS back two days latter and got my money back($400), but I really wanted to smash it. Man, that thing sucked so bad. Crappy finish job, weak buzzing neck, couldn't stay in tune to save it's life.
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 05:46 PM

About six or seven years ago I bought a starter guitar for my son from a J.C.Penny catalogue. Strat style (sort of) bridge humbucker, built in speaker, 9V battery, etc. I figured, how bad can it be?? Well they are obviously built where there is a large quanity of rubber trees. I tried to tune it, unsucsessfully, for about ten minutes. I busted out my tools and tried to intonate it some how, which proved to be impossible. I gave up on it and chalked it up to L&L. Finnally the kid next door borrowed it and then moved to the seventh circle of hell for all I care, taking satan's spawn with him!! Proof positive there is a god!! It was called a synsonics for any one interested. Two weeks ago I'm packin up my stuff when two kids come over and one of 'em is holding his pride & joy. You guessed it, a black spawn of the devil from J.C.Penny's. I gave him my condolences and went home to purge the image from my memory.

Just wondering out loud....Where are all the rubber trees?
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
The worst guitar I ever owned was a Ibanez RG 470-Lefty. Absolute sack of crap with an LO TRS II trem, never stayed in tune, no matter what. After a month, I returned the guitar and got me a JEM 555-Lefty. When I say the JEM 555 I was a bit sceptical because it had the LO TRS II trem too, but for some reason it's very good on this guitar. The JEM 555 has been my axe since then and the trem hasn't failed me yet!

Regards

André

What year was your RG470 and was it made in Korea?

My worst guitar was a blk Memphis strat that I have forever. It actually played nice and has a good tone, but the damn thing kept on breaking parts left and right. I now own a nice Ibanez RG470L that everyone seems to hate. My has the TRS trem that actually been good to me.
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:49 AM

My worst guitar was and still is RG420FAWN. I don´t want to sell it because I would lose so much money (I bought it new). It feels bad every time I even look at that guitar, it´s that bad. That´s why it´s always kept under my bed, nowhere visible =). Maybe after ten years or so people recall these RGs as those ´good ol ibanezes that were still made in Korea´ and then I will sell it at a very high price... Yeah right, like that would ever happen .

Tags
black pickguard , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge position , duncan distortion , electric guitar , epiphone les paul , fender strat , fender telecaster , floating tremolo , floyd rose , fret board , fret level , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , gibson les pauls , guitar tech , humbucking pickup , ibanez neck , les paul , les paul studio , les pauls , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , music store , neck pickup , neck pickups , pickup switch , playing guitar , rich warlock , squier strat , squire strat , strat body , strat style , toggle switch , trem block , trem springs , warped neck , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode