How *bad can it be?! - worst guitar you've ever owned - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:10 PM

Re: How *bad can it be?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
I agree with smashing guitars on stage but not with a Peavy T60 (I think that's what it was called) anyway, I found this thing in a pawn shop for $15 Canadian, yeah $15 bucks. *it actually was playable too, but at the end of the night, I tried to smash it, man, I banged for like 5 minutes and barely chipped it. *It was heavier than a Les Paul, and built like a Sherman tank.
I finally gave up as the drummer looked like he was tired of doing the big train crash ending so I tossed it off the stage onto the dance floor where a bunch of people started to fight over it. :biggrin:
That was definitly worth $15.
Jeremy
I don't know if a more soild guitar has even been made then old t60 and t65 from peavey. Everybody says almost the exact thing, they are sherman tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 07:43 PM

Re: How *bad can it be?! - worst guitar you've ever owned

One afternoon (about 12yrs ago) I drove all the way to Morecambe (60miles) and traded in a perfectly good washburn KC90 for a new Les Paul copy. I thought I could get it home,set it up, drop in a couple of Seymour Duncs I had spare and then (and this was the realy clever part) sand of the headstock logo and refinish it with a design of my own.
Like an absolute fool I got home and started work on it straight away. By the end of the evening I'd dropped in the Duncs, set up the neck to a fantastic action/stability and sanded off the headstock logo. I had a rehearsal the next day so I thought I'd try it through my rig at the practice room. I can't tell you how cool I felt as I lifted it out of it's case. My band mates were in awe of my custum creation and so was I until I plugged it into my live rig and tried it at live volume.......
......EEeeeeEEeaaaaawwwwEEeeeee !!!!
That f'kin thing screamed like a banshee, I couldn't understand it? I couldn't even get any kind of a guitar like sound out of it. I took the covers off the back too see if I'd messed up on the wiring, but no it seemed ok ??? My drummer started having fits of laughter and said "I bet it's made of plywood !!" I quickly scratched some of the black cavity paint off too check....and there it was in all of it's 18ply glory. I'd traded for the nicest playing, biggest piece of sh*t I've ever owned. I couldn't even take it back to the shop as I'd sanded the headstock DOH!!!!!!

The moral is...If you play something at realy low volume in the shop don't expect that when you take it home and drop some duncs into it, then put it through a Peavy 5150 at rehearsal that everything will work out just fine.
That was 12 years ago and I'm still stuck with that albertros of a guitar today !!!
Funny thing is I'm moving house this Wednesday and I actualy packed it this afternoon as 12 yrs later I'm determined to get some sort of use out of it....Maybe I should just bury it in the garden before I leave ??????????

Ben
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 09:43 PM

ok, he're one for ya:

I don't remember the name, but it was also what i learned my first little bit on. It was a 3/4 size student electric guitar. It had one humbucking pickup and a very shaky very poppy volume knob. The whole thing was red, and oh yeah, did i mention that the body was ply-wood? The finish was so bad that you could see the layers of plywood through the sides. The fretboard was clearly some kind of light colored wood, but had been stained black to look ebony. However, the stain or whatever it was was wearing off very badly and the natural color was showing through. I could only play chords, because after about the 7th fret, nothing came out. Also, my high e string would always get caught under the frets that were pulling up.

What's worse was my first "amp." Until someone lent me an old beater to play through, i would plug into the auxilary jack in my stereo and turn up the volume as loud as i can to plink-plink away.
post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 11:21 PM

I think the worst i ever had was a BC Rich Warlock NJ. Not really bad just ugly and beat up.. i haven't really had any garbage guitars
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
One afternoon (about 12yrs ago) I drove all the way to Morecambe (60miles) and traded in a perfectly good washburn KC90 for a new Les Paul copy. I thought I could get it home,set it up, drop in a couple of Seymour Duncs I had spare and then (and this was the realy clever part) sand of the headstock logo and refinish it with a design of my own.
Like an absolute fool I got home and started work on it straight away. By the end of the evening I'd dropped in the Duncs, set up the neck to a fantastic action/stability and sanded off the headstock logo. I had a rehearsal the next day so I thought I'd try it through my rig at the practice room. I can't tell you how cool I felt as I lifted it out of it's case. My band mates were in awe of my custum creation and so was I until I plugged it into my live rig and tried it at live volume.......
......EEeeeeEEeaaaaawwwwEEeeeee !!!!
That f'kin thing screamed like a banshee, I couldn't understand it? I couldn't even get any kind of a guitar like sound out of it. I took the covers off the back too see if I'd messed up on the wiring, but no it seemed ok ??? My drummer started having fits of laughter and said "I bet it's made of plywood !!" I quickly scratched some of the black cavity paint off too check....and there it was in all of it's 18ply glory. I'd traded for the nicest playing, biggest piece of sh*t I've ever owned. I couldn't even take it back to the shop as I'd sanded the headstock DOH!!!!!!

The moral is...If you play something at realy low volume in the shop don't expect that when you take it home and drop some duncs into it, then put it through a Peavy 5150 at rehearsal that everything will work out just fine.
That was 12 years ago and I'm still stuck with that albertros of a guitar today !!!
Funny thing is I'm moving house this Wednesday and I actualy packed it this afternoon as 12 yrs later I'm determined to get some sort of use out of it....Maybe I should just bury it in the garden before I leave ??????????

Ben
Man that sucks dude .

Regards

André

post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 AM

Reviews: 5

I already mentioned my Sebring Terminator being a total piece of crap. I thought I'd mention my first amp- a 10 watt Gorilla amp. It had like 4 knobs:

- Volume
- Treble
- Bass
- Tube Stack

Tube Stack, or tubesteak as my friends called it, was a really grainy garbled solid state distortion circuit that instantly turned any note into absolutely disgusting static.

Every once in a while I'll see one of these pieces of **** in a pawn shop for $5 and think, "someone's about to get ripped off"
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 02:57 AM

Re: How bad can it be?! - worst guitar you've ever owned

My worst actually wasn't that bad. It was an epiphone SG. Big fat neck with big fat frets. I still think it feels pretty ok to play. However, the pots have gone cracky and the pickups are microphonic... If I bend you can see the tuners turn. I'd never sell it though, it's my first electric !

It's sorta like a very ugly puppy. Crap, but you have to love it.

Tags
black pickguard , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge position , duncan distortion , electric guitar , epiphone les paul , fender strat , fender telecaster , floating tremolo , floyd rose , fret board , fret level , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , gibson les pauls , guitar tech , humbucking pickup , ibanez neck , les paul , les paul studio , les pauls , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , music store , neck pickup , neck pickups , pickup switch , playing guitar , rich warlock , squier strat , squire strat , strat body , strat style , toggle switch , trem block , trem springs , warped neck , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode