How about a Variax ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

How about a Variax ?

Yes, Im interested in one 500 Variax, so...........

I tested one at the store here, but want to know how does it soun on stage, on studio, with POD XT Live or some other relevant things.

Can anyone help me ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:22 PM

Re: How about a Variax ?

I know satch's guitarist (don't remember his name) uses the variax acoustic live on "Flying in a Blue Dream" among others, so it must not be too bad. I know it isn't the same guitar, but it uses alot of the same tech.

Also, I remember seeing an ad in some guitar magazine about some classic rock guitarist using the electric one live (an Eagle?) as well as Shania Twain's guitarist.

John
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Steve Howe maybe ?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:54 PM

maybe, I'm horrible with names.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 08:34 AM

I'd like to pick one up used, gut the electronics, then build a Warmoth with a Wizard profiled neck. THen you'd have a nice looking guitar, with the Variax capabilities.

The clincher for the Variax now is the Workbench application, where you can visually edit the tones in the guitar on the computer. Very cool.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
I'd like to pick one up used, gut the electronics, then build a Warmoth with a Wizard profiled neck. THen you'd have a nice looking guitar, with the Variax capabilities.

The clincher for the Variax now is the Workbench application, where you can visually edit the tones in the guitar on the computer. Very cool.
wow.... but wat if you gotton a virus from the comp? Wld the guitar sneeze when U play it?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 10:43 AM
dex

I had a go on a Variax 700 with Pod XT Live straight into a PA ( I only played it for about 20 min but it was a jam and the guitar was plugged and passed around for good 3-4 hours) and the sounds are very passable.
There's a special cable that looks a lot like a Network cable that goes straight into both guitar and Pod XT Live so I guess that meas you get better midi tracking or something.

The sounds of both Pod XT Live and the Variax 700 were very passable but the guitar has this ever so slight latency that is very apparent if you are plaing a normal guitar plugged into an amp side by side.
It takes a few minutes to adjust your playing so you can get the timing right but other than that the Variax 700 is a very solid and decent instrument....shame about the styling though.

ilia
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Hi Dex !!!!!!!!

Does it sound very real or like plastic things ?

Is sounds solid, consistent ?

And the acoustic sounds direct into the board ?

Im asking because at the musci store we dont have a way to know more acurately things
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 07:45 AM
dex

Oh yeah, the sounds are very good, the only thing is that you'll have to adjust you playing for latency (delay) which is minute but easy to feel if you have another rig side by side.
Otherwise the acoustic sounds and the sitar were very good and obviously the guitar modeling was spot on as well.

It's a great thing to have so many options but to tell you the truth - it's all in the fingers and all this tracking equipment can't really showcase all the dynamics (bends, vibrato) of a good player as well as a normal guitar would and then add all the digital magic of a Pod XT Live and you get too much information being processed by computers so you can hear a synthesized sound that was designed to sound organic.
Great idea on paper but unless you really need to have all these options I'd advise you to get a normal H/S/H guitar and the Pod XT Live.

ilia
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
THen you'd have a nice looking guitar...
funny that the Variax has been designed by Rich Lasner, the guy who designed the JEM/RG guitar and all of the most beautiful Ibanez models from the late '80s.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 11:42 AM

Nuno, you have a great site!

I think I may get out and check one of these Variax's myself this week, as well as some of the other Line6 stuff
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

I can tell you that I like the sound of a HSH with POD XT Live.

I already got a JEM DBK, a Fernandes Strat with duncans and use them with my POD XT Live and I can tell you that the XTL is a good thing and praticle but cant compare with POD 2.0 or in my case , I own a POD 2.3 (upgraded)too. The XTL misses the high gains sounds and that beautifull Soldano X88R, just to not tell you about the Matchless and JCM 800 thats the best with 2.0.

I'm between a Variax 500 or save more $$$ and a Music Man Steve Morse can come to sleep beside my JEM....

Still calculating..... seems that I will need to sell my CBR900 RR, to calm down my GAS, hehehhee........
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:55 PM

Don't sell the 900RR! I regret selling mine every day.
I played a Variax 500 through a new Line 6 floorbox yesterday (maybe the XT Live?), and it was just amazing, over the top stuff. It really got me thinking about getting a Variax and maybe a Vetta 2 combo and just having it all. It's another paradigm altogether.
I should probably also get out more! LOL

jim
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 08:20 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGMT
I can tell you that I like the sound of a HSH with POD XT Live.
Here's me playing the Variax into Pod XT Live but to tell you the truth my ESP (EMG81 set) straight into that Marshall DSL (JCM900) next to me sounded much more responsive and raw.
Also I have 5 pedals to my name, a wah, a digital delay and 3 overdrives soo I'm not really into modeling FX but the few ocasions I've played PODs - they are an excellent value for money.
The best thing would be if you go into a store somewhere and try the variax for yourself or watch the demo on line6 site (not sure if there is a demo - I remember seeing one for the acoustic Variax some time ago) and decide if you want to get it.
Also I hear Variax have a 300 model coming out - might be cool to look into that.

ilia

Tags
guitar mag , ibanez models , jem dbk , marshall dsl , steve howe , steve morse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how does a variax work
how to install a variax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode