How can i make the lo pro edge trem stay in tune? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

How can i make the lo pro edge trem stay in tune?

I have an rg350dx, it has an low pro edge trem by the looks of it-

how do i keep it in tune?

when i do divebombs and trem work all the strings so flat.... this is my first tiem with a lockign trem...

...i think it have it level in d sharp with .10 strings... but maybe not perfectly level... do these things have to have the perfect angle?

please can you help me to get it to stay in tune with trem work...

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:45 PM

Reviews: 7
Re: How can i make the lo pro edge trem stay in tune?

Unless the trem has been replaced, it's not a lo pro edge. It should be an Edge III, which isn't a very good trem at all (at least by my standards, I'm sure most that have played an edge or edge pro would agree). Unless you switched out the trem yourself, it's probably an edge III which would explain the not staying in tune problem, also having the angle perfect or damn close would help. good luck
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks, i was looking at some web page and it had pics of many ibanez bridges... the edge tremolo looked no where near as low profile as this one on the guitar.... i didnt buy this from shop.... the low profile edge trem looks the same as on this guitar, very low profile.... i dont know if the edge 3 looks similar does it?
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:56 PM

The rg350 comes stock with an Edge III, which as stated, isn't the best trem available. I had the same trouble with mine originally, same stuff you're describing. Set it so that its level, which helps a little bit. Also make sure the nut is REALLY locked down - same for the bridge string holders, which can slip sometimes. Also I find that after you work at the trem for a while it goes in tune better, if its new it has a "stiffness" that takes a while to overcome.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

ok after looking at the ibanez website i can definately say... this 350dx does not have the edge 3 trem.... looking at the trem pictures i think it is an edge pro....

any tips ?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:02 PM

I don't understand those having problems with the Edge III. I haven't had any problem with mine, and I am really harsh on a trem. Lots of reverse bombs, and such. Even worse are those who knock it, and have zero actaul experience with them, personally. I love the Edge III, and I have had at least 40 guitars or more in over 25 years of playing, including Ibanezes with the original Edge trem. While the original Edge is #1, in my book, the Edge III comes in a very close second.
The problem you are experiencing MAY be a result of not taking the slack out of the strings, after they are replaced, since you stated this is your first trem experience, or it could simply be that the new springs are settling in. Sometimes, that can take some time. What you CAN do, to counter-act it, since they are ALL going flat, is have a phillips screwdriver handy, and simply slightly turn in the claw screws, until all string are back in the ball park and/or the trem is once again level. You may find that the trem is no longer as such. After that, go back over the fine tuners, in case some are still slightly out. My guess is that the springs are still settling in. And if you give up on the Edge III, let me know, cause I'll take it off your hands.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

it doesnt have edge 3

what are the claw screws?

Last edited by kalashnikov; 01-28-2006 at 10:53 PM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:00 PM
ZJH

It must be the older Edge Pro II then.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k
Even worse are those who knock it, and have zero actaul experience with them, personally. I love the Edge III, and I have had at least 40 guitars or more in over 25 years of playing, including Ibanezes with the original Edge trem. While the original Edge is #1, in my book, the Edge III comes in a very close second.

I have a 350dx, so I am speeking from experience and I still stand by my statement. I don't think the edge 3 comes close to an original edge or edge pro, but it is an opinion
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:57 PM

If he got it used, then it probably has an Edge Pro II trem. Also speaking from personal experience, the Edge III isn't nearly as good as an Edge Pro but it is decent for the money. But like all floating bridges, the number one issue to address when your guitar isn't staying in tune is properly stretching the strings. I stretch the strings on my guitar 3 times before I'm done and even then the guitar still has tuning issues for a day or so until I work out the rest of the slack. Stretching the springs is also another issue that I personally ran into with my Edge 3 but afterwards it works a lot better. But even so, I'm still going to replace it with an OFR when I get myself out of debt from this semester.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

its a 2002 model guys.... what bridge do the 2002 ones come with?

but really... it looks just like the edge pro on the ibanez website.... does this edge pro II that you guys are talking about look like an edge pro- if so it could be edge pro 2....?

thanks for help guys
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

one thing ive just noticed... all the strings seem to stay in tune relative to each other... but after a dive, they will be flat.... and after a pull on the bar they will be sharp.... its like it doesnt return to the normal position or something???

just thought this might be useful.... and a further clue to where im going wrong....
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:29 AM

Well unless it says "licensed by Floyd Rose" on it then it's an Edge Pro II. When all of the strings go out of tune together then the problem lies with either the springs or the pivot. I would keep working the trem to help stretch out the springs and then apply something to the pivot points to allow for a smoother motion. For more information, I would refer to Rich's tech section which can be found on his website above.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:08 AM

Also if you want to get better performance out of your trem without completely replacing it, I suggest an ESP Arming Adjuster. Significantly less than a new trem and also found on Rich's site.

Last edited by brothersnowgone; 01-29-2006 at 06:14 AM.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone
I have a 350dx, so I am speeking from experience and I still stand by my statement. I don't think the edge 3 comes close to an original edge or edge pro, but it is an opinion
I can respect am opinion, especially from someone who actually HAS one. What I hate are those that have never used one, or those say "oh, they suck", as if that's the bottom line. Like I said, I have had both the Edge III AND the original Edge, and while I think the original is the best trem ever, I feel the Edge III comes in a close second. I've done reverse dive bombs on it, where I ran out of room, and it was still in tune, when I returned it, to zero. Sidenote: I once did such a brutal reverse bend, in the studio, on my Kahler'd Charvel, that I almost bent the trem bar completely straight. That's how tough I can be on bars.
A real key point to ANY trem, is getting the slack out of the strings, once you replace them. If you don't, you're screwed, and alot of people confuse that with a carppy trem system. Not only that, but you gotta keep the trem system tuned up. I'm sure you alreayd know all this, but many greenhorns don't. They just think they are gonna get themselves a guitar, crank on the trem bar, like Friggin Kerry King, and all will be well, and when it isn't they think "Man, this guitar SUCKS!"

Tags
claw screws , edge iii trem , edge trem , esp arming adjuster , floating bridges , floyd rose , kerry king , pro edge , pro edge trem , vinnie moore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode