How can you afford all of your guitars? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 AM

Re: How can you afford all of your guitars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
That is a callous response that I honestly expected from you. You had it as hard as I'm having it, so you're trying to make yourself feel better by telling me to shut up and deal with it.
Sorry man, that's life. Posting "My parents wont give me an amp, my parents used to give me $20, then $10, My dad spends his money on himself". I dont need to make myself feel better, I have a job, nice guitars, a house, a wife, and so on. Your parents give you food, shelter, clothes, and everything else you need. Your parents make the money and are the adults, they make the decisions, it happens to everyone. Looking for pity on a forum is childish. One day you will have a job and the stuff you want, until then whining isnt going to make it better. Either talk to your parents like an adult and explain why you want these things and try to convince them to let you get a job, or just cry about it online. It doesnt matter to me either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Dee

Quote:
Okay, so the members here all seem to have nice collections of guitars. I don't. It may be because I'm a minor, but it may not be, as I also frequent Ultimate-Guitar's forums, which are filled with teenagers, and they all seem to have at least 3 guitars, or at least 1 nice one. I was a bit irked by that, but seeing y'all's (damn, I had to use that word. It screams southern. Why can't English have a pronoun that is an equivalent to the German "ihr"?) collecions, full of Prestiges, and J-Customs, and USA Customs, and JEMs, and limited editions just made me wonder how you can afford that. I have an Epiphone G-310, which goes for $250, but when I purchased it, it was $200, and that's it. I have an acoustic that's in the basement, as it's practically unplayable, so I don't count it. I'd love an RGT220H, but there's not a chance in hell I can get one. I can't even afford an RG1570. My parents don't give me an allowance, and they won't let me get a job. However, they expect me to buy all my gear for myself. I wouldn't be bitching about it if my parents would give me some cash. But they don't. The only time I ever have ANY money is during the spring and summer, when I get $10 a week to mow my very large and hilly lawn. My dad used to pay me $20, but then he cut the price for no apparent reason. And don't think I'm poor. I'm not. My dad just hogs all of our money to himself, and buys new gadgets almost weekly. If I had 1 nice guitar, just 1, I wouldn't be writing this rant. But here I am, an intermediate-advanced guitarist, stuck with beginner gear. I can't join bands at my school because my parents won't give me a big enough amp to gig with, and even if I had a big enough amp, I'd be embarassed to go up on stage with a student model guitar. I mean, are you guys all just yuppies who can afford all of that?
No, I ain't no yuppie, and my dad never bought me anything I needed in life. My mother has bought me a few cheap instruments, the best thing being an RG550 that was purchased in 1987 after my grandmother died and left a small amount of money. That guitar is long gone, but I currently own a second-hand RG3120 that has crazy fret rattle and a battered RG750 that has no electronics. I don't have an amp, either, I play it acoustically. I had to save for a long time for the 3120, and I can't afford to have it set up.

Not all of us are rich. Not all of us have 3,000 guitars. But I'll tell you something -- I bet I can play as well, if not better, than anyone on this forum. One good thing -- playing on crappy instruments pushes you to improve. Once you get a decent instrument, you'll probably be better than some spoilt brat who gets anything he/she wants and lives life the easy way.

Last edited by Dee; 01-06-2007 at 12:12 AM.
post #18 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post

Maybe we should get a fund going to buy this kid a Crybaby wah pedal? It just seems so fitting.
hahahahaha I like it, I'm in.
post #19 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:09 AM

Enjoy the times you have that doesn't involve job, even if you wish you had money. You have a roof over your head, and food on the table and school as your work. Once you get out into the real working world you will wish you never had to work or care about money. It is then that you can buy what ever you want. Stick with what you have, I had a $99 generic strat and a $60 practace amp for the first 4 years of playing (14-18 ).
post #20 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
For some reason I don't care that you are offended by that.

Life's not fair. We don't always get what we want. From the attitude in your post, your parents aren't willing to just "give you the money" because you don't deserve it. You come off like you fell you're entitled to their money. Why is that?

The Epiphone G-310, went set-up correctly and with decent pickups, is a good guitar. You should be darn happy you have that. Many people start out on a lot worse.

Now be quiet and go to bed before I have to call the "waaaaa-mbulance".
Yeah, well, here's the thing. Almost everyone at my school is a spoiled brat. Their parents give them all sorts of things. Therefore, my perception is highly distorted. I know that they have no reason to give me money, but you'd think that they'd let me get a job or something.

Yes, I know. I have an EMG-81 in the bridge, and I also set it up to my liking. And nobody I know started off on anything worse. However, I live in a fairly well-off area, so, like I said before, my perception is distorted.
post #21 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You actually expect us to feel sorry for you? Why oh why would we? Do you have a roof over your head, clothes on your back, food in your belly and warm bed at night? If you answer yes to all of these then be thankful for what you have because millions of people in this world have far less than that.

Maybe we should get a fund going to buy this kid a Crybaby wah pedal? It just seems so fitting.
I already have one that's broken.
post #22 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:17 AM

Guys, cut the kid some slack! You don't even know how old he is, which is pretty important given all the references to no job, school, and a life run by his parents.
post #23 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Guys, cut the kid some slack! You don't even know how old he is, which is pretty important given all the references to no job, school, and a life run by his parents.

He's almost 16.
post #24 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Dee

Well said Jim. He's probably better than all of us!

Quote:
I already have one that's broken.
^^ Me too!

post #25 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I'm almost 16. Almost all of my friends have jobs, or have generous parents. I have neither, unfortunately.
post #26 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, well, here's the thing. Almost everyone at my school is a spoiled brat. Their parents give them all sorts of things.

I stand corrected, if everyone around you is spoiled, you should be to. Your parents suck. You should move out.
post #27 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
I had a $99 generic strat and a $60 practace amp for the first 4 years of playing (14-18 ).
Lucky bastard. We lived in a shoe box in the middle of the M1!
post #28 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I stand corrected, if everyone around you is spoiled, you should be to. Your parents suck. You should move out.
No, I was simply trying to help you see my perspective. Is it realistic? No. Does jealousy get in the way of logical thought? Bingo.

I mean, I see all of these kids living luxuriously, and I'm thinking to myself, "Why can't I have that?" I don't see that my life is quite well, as I'm comparing myself to rich kids.
post #29 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:25 AM

I know it's rough for a kid to be very interested in music and not have parents who support it.

This isn't just with guitars, I'm aware of VERY talented teenagers who play violin, cello, string bass, piano, etc., who have parents who support them...however this many times means financially as well. Many kids play expensive instruments without paying for them because they are striving to get straight A's, be on sports teams, etc.

Of course I'm not one of those people - I buy my guitars myself. But I guess what I'm trying to say is it's extremely hard for a teen musician to get out there without parents willing to support him/her.

However, it isn't the end of the world if they don't.

Does your local high school have a jazz band? Try to join that. Play at a coffee house. Anything. Coffee houses won't need large amps and the school will most likely provide amps for you when you play concerts and whatnot.

If you don't think you're good enough to do those kind of things then you may not be good enough to own high end $$$ equipment (NOT saying everyone who has high end equipment is good, but I think there's a reason you yourself called your guitar a beginner guitar and said you were looking for advanced gear). This statement seems kind of harsh but don't take it that way, this is the best way I could explain it.

None of those things interest you? Want to be in a band instead? Borrow a bigger amp from somebody - anybody. Most of the times a smaller amp will be fine for just practice and guitarists are often kinder than most think - borrowing a 50 or 100w amp for one 25 minute set isn't a problem for most guys.

Of course I don't know your parents, but I'd say the odds would go up on having them want to financially support you if you get the guts to go out and do things anyway without their help at all. You'll get respect from other musicians too.

PS: And if you're a kick ass guitar player, people will be listening to your skills and not looking at the guitar you're playing as much. Trust me.
post #30 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Lucky bastard. We lived in a shoe box in the middle of the M1!
and you had to walk to school uphill both ways with no shoes in 15 feet of snow.

Tags
aanj neck , acoustic guitar , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , beautiful guitar , combo amp , double neck , electric guitar , evolution pickups , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fretboard radius , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , guitar collection , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , heavy metal , horsie wah , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , kramer pacer , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , local music store , marshall amp , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mexican strat , music store , neck joint , peavey ultra , pitch shifter , playing guitar , practice amp , squier strat , squire strat , string bass , tube amp , tube combo , tube combo amp , vintage strat , vox valvetronix , wah pedal , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode