How can you afford all of your guitars? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 AM

Re: How can you afford all of your guitars?

uhhhh oh sounds like it might be time to start listening to My Chemical Romance and start cutting yourself...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
No, I was simply trying to help you see my perspective. Is it realistic? No. Does jealousy get in the way of logical thought? Bingo.
We saw your perspective and you didnt like it. Spoiled kid with spoiled friends who wants everything handed to him.
post #33 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
and you had to walk to school uphill both ways with no shoes in 15 feet of snow.
How did you know?!!

Quote:
We saw your perspective and you didnt like it. Spoiled kid with spoiled friends who wants everything handed to him.
If you don't mind me saying, you are being a bit harsh, old bean. You don't know his situation. The young guy could have insane talent and very unsupportive parents. It happens. I don't think he's expecting a Cornford stack and a J. Custom, but it's not unreasonable to want decent equipment so he can be in a band and at least change his strings when they get broken. Parents SHOULD support their kids as much as they possibly can and encourage their talent to develop. But anyway, you probably don't care so I don't know why I'm bothering. I just think that just because he's young you shouldn't be rude to him.
post #34 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll agree that my parents spoiled me. However, they stopped it when I was about 10 or so.

And I DON'T want everything handed to me. I want a job, but my parents will not permit me to get one. And yet they still expect me to pay for all of my stuff. That's what I don't get. If they'd let me get a job, I'd stop whining. I'm old enough for one, and I have an expensive hobby/lifestyle (yes, guitar playing is a way of life), so there's no reason why I shouldn't get one.
post #35 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Dee

Well if had a spare guitar I'd send it to you, but I only have one and I need it. Just be patient dude, it won't be long before you can move on and get a job and have a kickass setup.
post #36 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:38 AM

Don't compare yourself to rich people. No matter how much money you have someone has more and you will never be happy. Fact is there are kids that would love to have ANY guitar. What you can do is practice with what you have. Practice until you can play circles around the rich kids with the cool gear. That will bring you some satisfaction. And some day if you stay in school and get a good job you can buy all the gear you wanted when your were young.
Just play and practice man and don't worry about the gear cause right now there is nothing you can do about it.
post #37 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 AM

You parents should be able to cough up 5 bucks for a pack of strings once a month. Most parents are happy to have kids who show an interest in music. Maybe you should just tell your parents you need to upgrade your gear and you're willing to work it off or whatever but you need it. Bother them until they find some work for you to do to earn it.

That said, a little Monty Python:
MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! We used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TG: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..
post #38 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
What you can do is practice with what you have. Practice until you can play circles around the rich kids with the cool gear.
That's it.
post #39 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
at least change his strings when they get broken. .
No matter what the situation, I agree...I would hope most parents would spend the $4 a pack to get a kid new strings...

But onto more suggestions:

Katana, you don't need expensive equipment or a big amp to play a decent live set with around 80 or so people there.

Real life example: At my highschool there was a little music festival that raised money for a needy family ($500 went to them). There was a band where a guitarist owned a $99 Johnson - original pups and all...and a 10 watt amp. A 10 watt amp of course isn't nearly the size it should be to play at the school auditorium. He asked a friend of mine to borrow his 100w amp for his set and my friend agreed instantly.

Bam. In less than a minute this guy went from using a 10w Johnson amp to a 100w Peavey...and he still played pretty well and no one looked down on him that he was using a Johnson (though they just played Misfits covers - not my thing).

You say your friends get a lot from their parents? Take advantage of that a little. Ask them to borrow one of their guitars for a set if you need guitars with alternate tunings asap when switching songs. Ask to borrow an amp or just a cab. That's what friends are for...mooching off of! (kidding). But in all seriousness, most friends would comply without a problem.

Does it suck your parents won't give you some $$$ or let you get a job? Most likely.

Does it mean you can't do what you want musically in high school? I don't think so. Don't give up if it's what you want.
post #40 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
That said, a little Monty Python:
LMAO!

Thank you Jim. I needed that.
post #41 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think he's expecting a Cornford stack and a J. Custom
That's right, I'm not. I'd be content with an RG1570 and a Randall. Even an old RG570 would be good, if not even better.

I was turned down for a band because I only have a 15-watt. They ended up giving the spot to some pimply scene kid named Dillon. I mean, he's friends with the band, but so am I. I'm good friends with the core members.
post #42 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
How did you know?!!

If you don't mind me saying, you are being a bit harsh, old bean. You don't know his situation. The young guy could have insane talent and very unsupportive parents. It happens. I don't think he's expecting a Cornford stack and a J. Custom, but it's not unreasonable to want decent equipment so he can be in a band and at least change his strings when they get broken. Parents SHOULD support their kids as much as they possibly can and encourage their talent to develop. But anyway, you probably don't care so I don't know why I'm bothering. I just think that just because he's young you shouldn't be rude to him.

I probably am being harsh, but a thread that is started as all "My parent wont give me..." doesnt get any sympathy from me. People cant always have what they want when they want it, it's life. My mother was very supportive of me, but she didnt buy me anything. She was a single mother trying to raise 2 kids, if she did manage to buy herself something the last thing I was going to do was complain that she spends money on herself instead of spoiling me like my friends get spoiled. The way I see it, this got rude at

Quote:
That is a callous response that I honestly expected from you. You had it as hard as I'm having it, so you're trying to make yourself feel better by telling me to shut up and deal with it.
From the way it sounds, I wish I had it as hard as he has it. Not that I had it as rough as lots of other people in similar situations....
post #43 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:46 AM

Oh boy....here we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Guys, cut the kid some slack!
No Doubt You guys are brutal!

Katana.......words of advice. If you want to buy lots of guitars......(without your parents help)

"Become an Insurance Agent"
post #44 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
That's right, I'm not. I'd be content with an RG1570 and a Randall. Even an old RG570 would be good, if not even better.

I was turned down for a band because I only have a 15-watt. They ended up giving the spot to some pimply scene kid named Dillon. I mean, he's friends with the band, but so am I. I'm good friends with the core members.
Was he truly better than you? Put that into perspective...if you were TONS better than him, I don't see them sacking a guy with tons of talent for a guy that happens to have a bigger amp.Next time around maybe you should use some of the suggestions I made so they know when you play live you'll have a bigger amp. Or make new friends. Or do some of the things I mentioned in my first post.
post #45 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

^They didn't actually let me try out. They just took the stuff they heard about my playing by word of mouth and told me I could join if I got a bigger amp. My friend heard about them letting the other guy in before I did, and he agreed that it was kinda harsh. He's heard both of us play, and he didn't get why they wouldn't let me join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Oh boy....here we go

No Doubt You guys are brutal!

Katana.......words of advice. If you want to buy lots of guitars......(without your parents help)

"Become an Insurance Agent"
No, man. I'm not into that stuff. The last thing I'd ever want to do is an office job. Unfortunately, the US school system prepares children for just that...

Last edited by Holy Katana; 01-06-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Tags
aanj neck , acoustic guitar , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , beautiful guitar , combo amp , double neck , electric guitar , evolution pickups , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fretboard radius , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , guitar collection , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , heavy metal , horsie wah , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , kramer pacer , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , local music store , marshall amp , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mexican strat , music store , neck joint , peavey ultra , pitch shifter , playing guitar , practice amp , squier strat , squire strat , string bass , tube amp , tube combo , tube combo amp , vintage strat , vox valvetronix , wah pedal , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode