How can you afford all of your guitars? - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Dee

Re: How can you afford all of your guitars?

Well, maybe it's their loss and they'll regret it later.

Go smack Dillon in the eye anyway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
^
No, man. I'm not into that stuff. The last thing I'd ever want to do is an office job. Unfortunately, the US school system prepares children for just that...
Dude.....you're fooling yourself.

You work in an office, 87.546% of the employees are chicks

62.5% are hot!!

Plus...you don't have to deal with the elements! (heat/cold)

Oh yeah...and you get paid for it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Nice to see you back around these parts
post #48 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, maybe it's their loss and they'll regret it later.

No, I'd just make him listen to Nevermore. Anything's better than Norma Jean.

By the way, I realized my original question remains unanswered. How DO you guys afford JEM10ths and J-Customs?

Last edited by Holy Katana; 01-06-2007 at 01:12 AM.
post #49 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
That's right, I'm not. I'd be content with an RG1570 and a Randall. Even an old RG570 would be good, if not even better.

I was turned down for a band because I only have a 15-watt. They ended up giving the spot to some pimply scene kid named Dillon. I mean, he's friends with the band, but so am I. I'm good friends with the core members.
omg, I was on your side till you said that. I had a rage 158 and rg270 until I was 17, I saved up 3/4 of a year for a used (and seriously under priced) 570. Buy a used MIK, those wont impede your playing for a couple years at least, wanting any more than that is just greedy.

If you dont have much then hang out with other kids that dont have much and they wont care that you only have a 15 watter and a crap guitar.
post #50 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
omg, I was on your side till you said that. I had a rage 158 and rg270 until I was 17, I saved up 3/4 of a year for a used (and seriously under priced) 570. Buy a used MIK, those wont impede your playing for a couple years at least, wanting any more than that is just greedy.

If you dont have much then hang out with other kids that dont have much and they wont care that you only have a 15 watter and a crap guitar.
I was told that MIKs are really hit-or-miss, though.

It's more the amp than the guitar. Most people around here seem to only care about how big your amp is, and how many watts it has than guitar quality or tone quality.
post #51 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Most people around here seem to only care about how big your amp is.
They're just getting you ready for when you're married...

Except women don't care about amps...
post #52 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Dee

Katana, these guys afford JEM's and J. Custom's because they work for them. This is a board full of enthusiasts, and they probably spend most of their money on guitar gear.

Tell me, though -- how can your parents stop you getting a job? If you came home one day and said "I got myself a job", would they smack you in the eye or something? Or maybe just don't even tell them you're working. Say you're going round to your mates house to do some crack and you'll be back later, then turn up in a Benz. I dunno, just make an excuse...
post #53 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:30 AM

Reviews: 2

Try this, IGNORE everyone that is playing NOWcuz chances are if your into it as you say you are you will be one of three who will still be playing later when it counts.....take yer lil cheapy guitar and amp as you say and lock yourself in your room and learn how to "play" and most importantly "write" Music...not guitar but MUSIC. and pay attention to how you play every note you play and why you play it the way that you do...And in 2 yrs the cheapy guitar won't matter and you just might be a great player too
post #54 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Say you're going round to your mates house to do some crack and you'll be back later
Always a good choice...never fails.
post #55 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I was told that MIKs are really hit-or-miss, though.

It's more the amp than the guitar. Most people around here seem to only care about how big your amp is, and how many watts it has than guitar quality or tone quality.
Dude, you're 15. If your parents bought you the best of everything you'd be like all the other rich kids not knowing the value of money, you have to want to work to offord something you cant have.

Go to collage and some day youll be able to afford all the jems you want
post #56 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
Dude, you're 15. If your parents bought you the best of everything you'd be like all the other rich kids not knowing the value of money, you have to want to work to offord something you cant have.
Or steal, whichever happens first
post #57 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Dee

So, let's sum it up so far. We've had crack, theft, violence/assault...

This kid will be in prison by the time he's done reading the thread!
post #58 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:42 AM

If you want my advise on amps...

Dont bother, dont even join a band, plug your guitar into you computer and practise and play along to songs with the headphones on. Do that until youve got a job and can afford nice gear and by then you'll be kick @ss. Youve gotta put in the hard yacka to get peoples respect, stand up and wipe the floor with some rich kid playing a rig thats worth 10X more than yours.
post #59 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Enjoy the times you have that doesn't involve job, even if you wish you had money. You have a roof over your head, and food on the table and school as your work. Once you get out into the real working world you will wish you never had to work or care about money. It is then that you can buy what ever you want. Stick with what you have, I had a $99 generic strat and a $60 practace amp for the first 4 years of playing (14-18 ).
+1--Good Advice! I had to negotiate with my dad to earn money around the house. I did ALOT of yard work including many lawn mows to get my RG550 at 18 yrs old. He made me learn a lot about saving money penny by penny.

There will always be things you wish you had that others own. Just have to learn to live with it and, if you want, keep saving the pennies for whatever it is. Right now, Rich owns a lot that I want (thinking of JS's )

Don't forget to be thinking about what kind of job it is you would enjoy doing...IMO, it's more impoartant than how much you want to make. Something I didn't think of till too late in life.
post #60 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 02:09 AM

Wow the teen angst is palpable here..

I have to ask.. If you aren't currently in a band then why does it matter? Guitar-wise, I hate to say it but a G-310 is a damn sight better than what I started on. Especially if you've got an EMG in that thing. What kind of amp do you have? Also, talk to us about that acoustic. My guess is you might be able to make it playable pretty easily.

Everyone on this forum is dead right when they say that your skills will always speak much louder than your gear. I've seen bands put on concerts specifically to buy this guitarist a new amp or this drummer a new snare or whatever the hell else they're after. The gear will come with time. I've never heard of a fantastic guitarist being unable to perform because of lack of gear, it just doesn't happen.

Jobwise... Count your freaking blessings that you don't have to work. I worked from the time I was 14 years old, and I wish to god i'd put it off for 4 or 5 more years and focused on my schoolwork.

Do you have a car?

Tags
aanj neck , acoustic guitar , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , beautiful guitar , combo amp , double neck , electric guitar , evolution pickups , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fretboard radius , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , guitar collection , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , heavy metal , horsie wah , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , kramer pacer , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , local music store , marshall amp , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mexican strat , music store , neck joint , peavey ultra , pitch shifter , playing guitar , practice amp , squier strat , squire strat , string bass , tube amp , tube combo , tube combo amp , vintage strat , vox valvetronix , wah pedal , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode