How can you afford all of your guitars? - Page 6 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Re: How can you afford all of your guitars?

Quote:
No, man. I'm not into that stuff. The last thing I'd ever want to do is an office job. Unfortunately, the US school system prepares children for just that...
I can understand that. I couldn't work in an office either. And you don't have to. At your age you have all the choices. Just make smart decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mclaughlin View Post
Here, will this make you feel better??? (sorry, couldn't help it)

It probably would if there would be at least one decent guitar in there.

For some of the other posts here, they are just uncalled for. Get a job kid. What can your parents do? Kick you out for getting one? The kid who mows my lawn charges $25 and he does like 20 a weekend. Do the math.
post #78 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Oh.....you're a very bad man, bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
Get a job kid.
+1000 And stop whining. It's not getting you any closer to that dream guitar

And your parents DON'T want you and WON'T let you get a job. For some reason I'm just not buying it
post #79 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I never said they didn't want me. They just won't let me get a job. I think the root of this is when I started playing metal. Back when I predominately played classic rock and blues, they seemed to be quite supportive. They even got me strings and stuff. Well, at least my mom did. My dad's just an ass.
Quote:

I like the 7VWH. I've played a couple at GC, and the neck profile is sweet. Plus, the scalloping of the last few frets really helps. Too bad the ones I played both had rosewood. And do I see a JEM10th?

Last edited by Holy Katana; 01-06-2007 at 12:11 PM.
post #80 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:27 PM

those evh replicas made me think up the perfect response:
evh modded the hell out of his guitar until he had one he was happy with. do the same, that or get a secret job on the side. not letting you have a job is petty. tell them you keep falling asleep in morning lessons, and that if you got up for a paper round every morning you would be more awake and therefore do better at school. use every bargaining tool you can and point out the plusses they would like! that or just hang on a few years isnt long at all then you are sure to be allowed a job!
post #81 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Why do you need a new Jem? Hell I got 84 RS440 from the pawn for $35, swapped out the pups. I have less than $200 in the guitar, and would say it woulkd take most of lower end RGs out there to day.
You don't alway have run with the pack, be yourself. New isn't alway better. I have seen many RG 120, and 170 at pawn shops, most will sell for under $200.
post #82 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
Why do you need a new Jem? Hell I got 84 RS440 from the pawn for $35, swapped out the pups. I have less than $200 in the guitar, and would say it woulkd take most of lower end RGs out there to day.
You don't alway have run with the pack, be yourself. New isn't alway better. I have seen many RG 120, and 170 at pawn shops, most will sell for under $200.
I don't want a new JEM. Well, I want one, but I certainly don't expect one. I'd be happy with a mid-range RG. Aren't 570s fairly cheap on the Bay?
post #83 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
Well, at least my mom did. My dad's just an ass.
How can you say that? Hes probably the one earning the money, and your just expecting him to give you money for doing little tasks to help out around the house?

TBH, you should be doing that without thinking about being paid, its the least you can do, think of all the money theyve spent on your upbringing.

You have a good guitar the now anyway, why dont you just play that until it falls apart, then think about getting a new one?
post #84 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onimacaroni View Post
How can you say that? Hes probably the one earning the money, and your just expecting him to give you money for doing little tasks to help out around the house?

TBH, you should be doing that without thinking about being paid, its the least you can do, think of all the money theyve spent on your upbringing.

You have a good guitar the now anyway, why dont you just play that until it falls apart, then think about getting a new one?
He's very temperamental, and whines more than I do. He's also really touchy, and if you point out one of his faults, he starts to hand out punishments like candy. And then he goes into his office and cries.

It's kinda sad, really.
post #85 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:49 PM

I can kinda cut him some slack coz he says he IS prepared to get a job. Not everyones parents are the same and mine wouldn't let me get a job at that age,although i wasn't playing guitar then.But it must be real frustrating living somewhere where everyone else gets it easy.But c'mon guys, at least he is prepared to work for it. I mean, this very board has had MANY kids saying "i turned up at school today so my folks are buying loadsa expensive gear for me" I think that's a culture thing, coz it seems to be mostly US kids who get these "priveledges". Certainly seems you don't hear those stories (or at least very infrequently) from the UK

I don't have much gear.First started playing at 17. I had an apprenticeship so i was earning though the pay wasn't good.So i got my first guitar (a used Les Paul Custom) on HP (thats credit.......not the sauce ). Also got a crappy marlin to abuse (yeah....i didn't know better then ). My first amp was a 15w roland amp. A while after my LP was payed off i fell in love with a Kramer Stagemaster deluxe. So i again bought it on credit(and i still have her). Just after i traded my LP (which i desperately didn't want to do,and got a crap deal) for a big amp (Fender Pro185, which i still have but don't use). Over the next couple of years i got my first ibanez (was very cheap and used)...which was the double neck copy of the gibson they used to do that was sold. I got a cheap offer for a squier strat so i got it as a back up guitar as i was gigging. That ended up being lost at a pawn shop while i was married (sore subject.....don't go there ). In '95 i had a redundancy package and with some of the money got a used Gibson Explorer,which i still have. 3 years later i got the bottom of the range RG270 coz i was living in a bedsit and didn't trust leavin more expensive gear there.Since then,8 years later i decided that as i have worked almost constantly since leaving school i should finally treat myself. So last year i got a 7vwh and a JS1000, both on credit coz i don't earn good money and would take a loooooong time to save.

Sooo...(pauses for breath), not everyone here has huge expensive collections and i too get jealous of peoples guitars. I own 5 guitars and had 4 others that came and went.I recently bought only my 3rd amplifier ever.All this in a 19 year period.

I think what has angered people on here is that many of us have had NOTHING given to us. We have worked ourselves for what we own. So you will get NO sympathy from these people for expecting your parents to give you something. My advice would be to focus more on improving your own skills, and try to show your parents you can be mature and responsible enough to get a job because i applaud you for wanting to take that path. Good luck with things.
post #86 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
Damn it Dee, you enjoy wacking people in the eye don't you?
Naaaw, just kidding. I'm probably the least violent person on the planet.
post #87 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:06 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Dude.....you're fooling yourself.

You work in an office, 87.546% of the employees are chicks

62.5% are hot!!
Not in my office.
Less than half the people are women and less than 15% of said women are under 30 and the ones that are are not really good looking.

I agree with Jerry Seinfeld, less than 6% of people are good looking.
Thank god for alcohol.
post #88 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:28 PM

Funny stuff. I feel sorry for the guy not being able to get a job, but you can't say "Just an RG570 and a Randall will do" it's like, oh ****ing really?!?!

I'll tell you how the beginnings of my collection came to be...

My sisters both attempted to learn guitar, but both said it hurt their fingers. I turned around (at 11 years old) and asked if I could learn. My Dad, being (quite rightly) pissed off at buying a guitar for both my sisters only to end up having to get rid of them, said "It'll hurt your fingers, don't bother." As gutted as I was, I pestered and pestered until he eventually caved in and bought me a spanish guitar that was strung with ELECTRIC strings. So imagine, this thing has the action of an archery bow and it felt like I was playing an egg-slicer, so that was my first guitar...

Then, on my 12th birthday I was lucky enough to have enough money to buy a beat up Satellite Les Paul copy (made from plywood.) I played the hell out of it, and then when my next birthday rolled around I sold that guitar and used the extra birthday money to get a crappy BC Warlock (again, plywood.) I kept doing this and eventually ended up with a Washburn N2 and a Marshall amp. It broke my heart, but I had to eventually sell it because I was broke as a joke and needed money for other stuff.

Nowadays, I don't smoke, barely drink and I don't have any kids, which means whatever I earn goes on stuff for me and my girlfriend. I tend to buy everything I wanted as a kid (within reason ) just because. It's great! BUT, realise that life gets a LOT tougher when you leave school. Better... but certainly tougher.

I think your solution is to tell your parents that you aren't a fetus anymore and you are chomping at the bit to earn your way. Keep on the pressure and I'm sure they'll let you.
post #89 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
He's very temperamental, and whines more than I do. He's also really touchy, and if you point out one of his faults, he starts to hand out punishments like candy. And then he goes into his office and cries.

It's kinda sad, really.
But I dont see why him being touchy stops you from playing the good ol' guitar youve got the now...
post #90 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Not in my office.
Less than half the people are women and less than 15% of said women are under 30 and the ones that are are not really good looking.

I agree with Jerry Seinfeld, less than 6% of people are good looking.
Thank god for alcohol.
Bummer, dex!!! Maybe I'm just lucky Or maybe it's different over here?? But in the different insurance offices I've worked in, it's always been 85% at least women. I guess that means I have a girly job Oh trust me......it has it's downfalls. It's a LOT easier (and more stable) to work around guys, so maybe you don't have it so bad

+1 in the alcohol comment!!

And Davey.......you're getting old, my friend

Tags
aanj neck , acoustic guitar , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , beautiful guitar , combo amp , double neck , electric guitar , evolution pickups , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fretboard radius , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , guitar collection , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , heavy metal , horsie wah , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , kramer pacer , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , local music store , marshall amp , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mexican strat , music store , neck joint , peavey ultra , pitch shifter , playing guitar , practice amp , squier strat , squire strat , string bass , tube amp , tube combo , tube combo amp , vintage strat , vox valvetronix , wah pedal , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode