How can you afford all of your guitars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

How can you afford all of your guitars?

Okay, so the members here all seem to have nice collections of guitars. I don't. It may be because I'm a minor, but it may not be, as I also frequent Ultimate-Guitar's forums, which are filled with teenagers, and they all seem to have at least 3 guitars, or at least 1 nice one. I was a bit irked by that, but seeing y'all's (damn, I had to use that word. It screams southern. Why can't English have a pronoun that is an equivalent to the German "ihr"?) collecions, full of Prestiges, and J-Customs, and USA Customs, and JEMs, and limited editions just made me wonder how you can afford that. I have an Epiphone G-310, which goes for $250, but when I purchased it, it was $200, and that's it. I have an acoustic that's in the basement, as it's practically unplayable, so I don't count it. I'd love an RGT220H, but there's not a chance in hell I can get one. I can't even afford an RG1570. My parents don't give me an allowance, and they won't let me get a job. However, they expect me to buy all my gear for myself. I wouldn't be bitching about it if my parents would give me some cash. But they don't. The only time I ever have ANY money is during the spring and summer, when I get $10 a week to mow my very large and hilly lawn. My dad used to pay me $20, but then he cut the price for no apparent reason. And don't think I'm poor. I'm not. My dad just hogs all of our money to himself, and buys new gadgets almost weekly. If I had 1 nice guitar, just 1, I wouldn't be writing this rant. But here I am, an intermediate-advanced guitarist, stuck with beginner gear. I can't join bands at my school because my parents won't give me a big enough amp to gig with, and even if I had a big enough amp, I'd be embarassed to go up on stage with a student model guitar. I mean, are you guys all just yuppies who can afford all of that?

EDIT: I know I came off as a whiny little bitch, but I had a really bad day, and I'm never in a good mood to begin with, so, yeah.

Last edited by Holy Katana; 01-06-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Kii

Re: How can you afford all of your guitars?

I sell myself on the street.
post #3 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 PM

I didn't get a decent guitar until I was well into my 20's. I wasn't able to afford my Jem until last year and I'm almost 40 now. Don't feel too bad. I guess some people just have the money to blow. Hopefully you'll get at least one really nice guitar one day. Having huge collections is great but having just one great guitar is also very cool. Appreciate what you DO have and save, save, save.
post #4 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 PM

Reviews: 1

Someone's going to say it so I'll save them the trouble - why don't you get a j-o-b? BTW, your father isn't hogging his money. He earned it and deserves to spend it as he sees fit.
post #5 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
Someone's going to say it so I'll save them the trouble - why don't you get a j-o-b?
I already said that my parents won't let me. Yet they refuse to give me an allowance.

I take offense to how you didn't take the time to read my post.
post #6 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 PM

I didnt have too much nice gear until I was in my 20s, but I always had a usable amp and guitar that I paid for myself. Convince your parents to let you get a job, but you shouldnt expect them to "give you a bigger amp" just because.
post #7 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

^ Well, I asked for a new amp for Christmas, but they ended up giving me like $500 of stuff I didn't even want.
post #8 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:54 PM

Then just deal with it, being a kid means you get shafted sometimes. I started to read your post but it seemed too whiney.
post #9 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:54 PM

Yeah, you might want to have a chat with the folks. I don't know your whole situation but a job is the place to start.
post #10 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Then just deal with it, being a kid means you get shafted sometimes. I started to read your post but it seemed too whiney.
That is a callous response that I honestly expected from you. You had it as hard as I'm having it, so you're trying to make yourself feel better by telling me to shut up and deal with it.
post #11 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:00 AM

Why won't they let you get a job?
post #12 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Kii

How old are you?
post #13 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
I already said that my parents won't let me. Yet they refuse to give me an allowance.

I take offense to how you didn't take the time to read my post.
For some reason I don't care that you are offended by that.

Life's not fair. We don't always get what we want. From the attitude in your post, your parents aren't willing to just "give you the money" because you don't deserve it. You come off like you fell you're entitled to their money. Why is that?

The Epiphone G-310, went set-up correctly and with decent pickups, is a good guitar. You should be darn happy you have that. Many people start out on a lot worse.

Now be quiet and go to bed before I have to call the "waaaaa-mbulance".
post #14 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
That is a callous response that I honestly expected from you. You had it as hard as I'm having it, so you're trying to make yourself feel better by telling me to shut up and deal with it.
You actually expect us to feel sorry for you? Why oh why would we? Do you have a roof over your head, clothes on your back, food in your belly and warm bed at night? If you answer yes to all of these then be thankful for what you have because millions of people in this world have far less than that.

Maybe we should get a fund going to buy this kid a Crybaby wah pedal? It just seems so fitting.
post #15 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Why won't they let you get a job?
I've asked them about it, and they keep on giving me bulls*** responses about it. I've talked about my gear with them many times before, and they honestly couldn't give a flying f*** about it. They won't even buy strings for me. I keep strings on for 3 or 4 months at a time, once going over 6 months, and if one breaks, I look around on the floor and in packages for replacements. If I can't find it, then I just have to adapt my playing style.

Tags
aanj neck , acoustic guitar , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , beautiful guitar , combo amp , double neck , electric guitar , evolution pickups , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fretboard radius , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , guitar collection , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , heavy metal , horsie wah , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , kramer pacer , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , local music store , marshall amp , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mexican strat , music store , neck joint , peavey ultra , pitch shifter , playing guitar , practice amp , squier strat , squire strat , string bass , tube amp , tube combo , tube combo amp , vintage strat , vox valvetronix , wah pedal , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode