How are Charvels?? - Seem's like good guitars to me!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

How are Charvels?? - Seem's like good guitars to me!!

The specs. are great! Seymour Duncan pu's and all! The whammybar seems to be cool. Steve Vai, Jason Becker and Randy Rhoadsd have all used them. Seems like a some of the best Japanese guitars out there!! (Except maybe Ibanez sig. series?)

How is quality?
Good guitars?
Beats Japanese Jacksons?
Best years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 06:08 PM

How are Charvels??

I have an old '87 Charvel Model 3 (HSS configuration) that's stood up very well over time. *The neck still plays like butter (super flat with jumbos) and other than some scratchy pots, the thing sounds awesome. *I was able to get parts for the Jackson trem a few years ago right from Jackson. *
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

How are Charvels??

Quote:
rlintz on 6:08 pm on Feb. 8, 2002
I have an old '87 Charvel Model 3 (HSS configuration) that's stood up very well over time. *The neck still plays like butter (super flat with jumbos) and other than some scratchy pots, the thing sounds awesome. *I was able to get parts for the Jackson trem a few years ago right from Jackson. *
Well is it your main axe? If not, why? What`s better?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 07:49 PM

How are Charvels??

Jackson/Charvels are nice. *Along with Carvins, the Jackson USA models are among the coolest American shredder guitars. *The Japanese Professional line has some great axes for cheap (I think you can get their "Dinky" for $350 or so). *Some of their trems have been Schaller made - basically a real Floyd. *I have a cheaper one (Concept line, no longer made) I got for $130; still plays great.

The older Charvels are revered, too. *The late 80's ones had compound radius fingerboards. *The earlier ones are almost collectable - made in San Dimas, CA. *But those early superstrats aren't as comfy as newer designs. *A more modern guitar has bridge routs, all access joint, etc. that make them more comfy, IMO.

The only problem is, all the Jacksons have really square edges to them, and the only body I really dig is their Stealth - a Sabre copy.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
How are Charvels??

Most of the very best Charvel guitars are considered to be from the "San Dimas" days back when Wayne Charvel ran the company. Vai's green meanie is one of these American guitars.

I'm sure someone here can fill in the blanks for you, or you could try the friendly guys over at the Jackson/Charvel Forum who should be able and willing to help
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

How are Charvels??

Quote:
JESTER700 on 7:49 pm on Feb. 8, 2002
Jackson/Charvels are nice. *Along with Carvins, the Jackson USA models are among the coolest American shredder guitars. *The Japanese Professional line has some great axes for cheap (I think you can get their "Dinky" for $350 or so). *Some of their trems have been Schaller made - basically a real Floyd. *I have a cheaper one (Concept line, no longer made) I got for $130; still plays great.

The older Charvels are revered, too. *The late 80's ones had compound radius fingerboards. *The earlier ones are almost collectable - made in San Dimas, CA. *But those early superstrats aren't as comfy as newer designs. *A more modern guitar has bridge routs, all access joint, etc. that make them more comfy, IMO.

The only problem is, all the Jacksons have really square edges to them, and the only body I really dig is their Stealth - a Sabre copy.
Yes, but the Dinkys costs about $700 in Sweden!! (sick!)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 11:26 AM

How are Charvels??

Quote:
Jackson/Charvels are nice. *Along with Carvins, the Jackson USA models are among the coolest American shredder guitars. *The Japanese Professional line has some great axes for cheap (I think you can get their "Dinky" for $350 or so).
yeah the dinkys are nice guitars. pick one up for 299 on sale, throw some pickups in it, and you got one happenin RG!!! errrr i mean jackson ;P

my feeling is, jackson shredders are close enough to ibanez so that i would buy an ibanez. its like being given the choice to drive a geo, or a chevy (my point being, why drive the geo when u can drive the chevy lol)

as for the charvels, ive heard much about them, but ive sadly never had the opertunity to play one.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

How are Charvels??

Quote:
BZ Beetle on 11:26 am on Feb. 9, 2002
Quote:
Jackson/Charvels are nice. *Along with Carvins, the Jackson USA models are among the coolest American shredder guitars. *The Japanese Professional line has some great axes for cheap (I think you can get their "Dinky" for $350 or so).
yeah the dinkys are nice guitars. pick one up for 299 on sale, throw some pickups in it, and you got one happenin RG!!! errrr i mean jackson ;P

my feeling is, jackson shredders are close enough to ibanez so that i would buy an ibanez. its like being given the choice to drive a geo, or a chevy (my point being, why drive the geo when u can drive the chevy lol)

as for the charvels, ive heard much about them, but ive sadly never had the opertunity to play one.
yes, but as I said the dinkys cost $700, they arent worth THAT much are they?

---------------------------------------------------------
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 02:35 PM

How are Charvels??

MrNiceGuy:

The Charvel is not my main axe as it's part of a collection of seven guitars I own including two seven strings. *I don't really claim any of them to be my "main axe" because they're all unique, all fill a tonal niche, and all get played regularly.

But, as I stated, it's a great guitar which is worthy enough to be anyone's "main axe". *I've always loved the neck and board - typical Charvel fast neck - flat board. *Let me know if you want pics. *I'd be glad to snap several for you.

Randy
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

How are Charvels??

Quote:
rlintz on 2:35 pm on Feb. 9, 2002
MrNiceGuy:

The Charvel is not my main axe as it's part of a collection of seven guitars I own including two seven strings. *I don't really claim any of them to be my "main axe" because they're all unique, all fill a tonal niche, and all get played regularly.

But, as I stated, it's a great guitar which is worthy enough to be anyone's "main axe". *I've always loved the neck and board - typical Charvel fast neck - flat board. *Let me know if you want pics. *I'd be glad to snap several for you.

Randy
ok..........I WANT PICS!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 05:36 PM

How are Charvels??

NiceGuy, how do the Ibanezes run price wise over there? *I mean, I'd take a Professional line Jackson over a Korean Ibanez at the same price in a second. *Their trem has gone steadily downhill over the past 10 years, but I think it still beats a TRS.

The cheapo Concept model I have (the $130 used one) could be somebody's main axe if the pickups were replaced. *In the USA, Ibanez has NOTHING in the <$350 range to compete with that Dinky. *If I didn't JUST get another Radius off eBay (hehehehe) I might be looking at one. *But the necks I've played are definitely for wizard fans.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

How are Charvels??

Quote:
JESTER700 on 5:36 pm on Feb. 9, 2002
NiceGuy, how do the Ibanezes run price wise over there? *I mean, I'd take a Professional line Jackson over a Korean Ibanez at the same price in a second. *Their trem has gone steadily downhill over the past 10 years, but I think it still beats a TRS.

The cheapo Concept model I have (the $130 used one) could be somebody's main axe if the pickups were replaced. *In the USA, Ibanez has NOTHING in the <$350 range to compete with that Dinky. *If I didn't JUST get another Radius off eBay (hehehehe) I might be looking at one. *But the necks I've played are definitely for wizard fans.
Since I can get a used JEM for the same price as a new Dinky......well go figure.
Anyways a RG5** costs $1100 here!!!!!
I can get a used Jem for about $800 but then it`s from late 80's(like 88,89).

I tried a Dinky today and it didn`t "fit" me really, I liked the Peavey Wolfgang Special I tried better!
There`s a deal here now so I could get an Wolfgang special for $790 but 1. Don`t have the money quite yet. 2. Couldn`t do as much as a JEM huh? 3. Not to hip to the look, but if you just swapped the Zebra pu's on the golden one, it would look pretty ok.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 08:58 PM

How are Charvels??

I have an old modal Charvel. It was rpobably a cheaper on and I don't know the model name. It has a 24-Fret neck that is absolutely amazing. Two pickups: Emg 81 bridge and a simgle coil in the neck. Cheapo Floyd Rose. It really is a great and reliable guitar. Might change the trem out for an real Floyd Rose. It is raher heavy though. My RG 570 is lighter in weight.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 12:35 PM

How are Charvels??

MrNiceGuy:

Here's a link to my gear page which has pictures of all of my guitars including some recent shots of the Charvel. *Let me know if you'd like any additional pics.

My gear page.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 12:55 PM

How are Charvels??

Sorry - bad link... *Here's the actual link:

Gear page.

Tags
charvel green meanie , charvel model , floyd rose , fret neck , jackson dinky , jason becker , kahler trem , paf pro , peavey wolfgang , peavey wolfgang special , randy rhoads , seymour duncan , steve vai , wolfgang special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode