How to decrease natural tone settings on PGM guitars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

How to decrease natural tone settings on PGM guitars?

Hello everyone,

So I am a more classically trained guitarist who took a forray into electric guitars a few years ago, but I am still weak on the tech side of things. As you all may or may not know, the PGM series lacks a tone knob. My question is, is there anything that I could do to soften up the tone? Thank you.

Also, is this the correct thread, or should I put this in the Tech section?

Sincerely,

Jon

Last edited by bobombom; 05-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Re: How to decrease natural tone settings on PGM guitars?

Greetings.

A couple of thoughts off the cuff here:

If there's a treble-bleed cap on the volume knob in the stock wiring, you could remove that. The result is that, when lowering the volume, even very slightly, there's a disproportionately larger drop in audible higher frequencies (the very thing the bleed cap is meant to prevent, of course).
That way, a very slight 'crack' in your volume setting will yield a 'mellower' sound right off the bat.

Another possibility, a bit more advanced; you could replace the volume with a stacked concentric pot, wherein one part is wired as the volume, and the other, a tone control. No new holes in the guitar, and a fully reversible modification.

Let me know if either of those fits the bill.
Cheers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Your best solution in the EQ on your amp. If you can't dial in what you're looking for there, the next step is adding an EQ pedal to the chain.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

Another possibility, a bit more advanced; you could replace the volume with a stacked concentric pot, wherein one part is wired as the volume, and the other, a tone control. No new holes in the guitar, and a fully reversible modification.

Cheers.

+1 did that with a MII. Works fine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Reviews: 1

When I first began playing, I was not able to figure out why my clean sound was just not to my liking, I found that just by lowering the volume helps alot.

X2 on the Concentric knob, and or the EQ pedal. One or the other may do the trick. and You never know If you do both, you're tone could be what your looking for or better. But dont forget it could be vise versa and not be close.

My thought is: You have to experiment. Its the only way through trial and error to get a sound you are looking for. It can get expensive, please note.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 PM

Reviews: 120

The other option would be to replace the 500K volume pot with a lower value one, 300 or 250K might do the job?

Or does that only work for tone pots?
LonePhantom is online  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:45 PM

Lower value volume pot would definitely bleed off a bit of top end, as well, so that's a good option as well.

Tags
effects , paul gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode