how do I..............? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
how do I..............?

get a guitars wood grain to do this? and what woods are capable of doing this really well?

http://images.wikia.com/ibanez/image...G370AX_RSW.gif

is it multiple coats or stain or what? because i really like it. imaging rg7620 with a custom ash body (for that nice looking grain) with the red finish w/ black grain (or vise versa), some awesome red inlays and a red ibanez logo (or red stock with black logo). sooooooooo metal

and sorry for making ANOTHER thread this week. i know its probably annoying but since im on my first project, im getting lots of great ideas for new ones. im in the creative mood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 AM

Reviews: 18
Re: how do I..............?

I've been wondering about that too since I saw the Les Paul Voodoo
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:01 AM

red basecoat, black on top and lightly sanded down will probably give you something like it.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

thats what i thought too but then i thought "well, if the red can get into the grain, why not the black?" theni thought of taping but it would just make red stripes in the guitar. now this is exremely out of the box here but what if you stain, then tape over the grain and really pound the tape INTO the grain, then sand off everything thats not in it and stain again with black and remove the tape. very stupid but crazy enough to work?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

you know, i think im just looking too far into this. theres NO WAY that that would work
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Stain dark brown first and let soak seveal hours-overnight. Wipe off. Stain black, let soak a hour, then wipe off...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZRG1527prestige View Post
thats what i thought too but then i thought "well, if the red can get into the grain, why not the black?" theni thought of taping but it would just make red stripes in the guitar. now this is exremely out of the box here but what if you stain, then tape over the grain and really pound the tape INTO the grain, then sand off everything thats not in it and stain again with black and remove the tape. very stupid but crazy enough to work?
i would assume the red would fill the grain and the black just lays on top of it ?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Stain dark brown first and let soak seveal hours-overnight. Wipe off. Stain black, let soak a hour, then wipe off...
wow, that seems a lot easier than i made it out to be i forgot all about time being a factor
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

If you do the reddish/brown and let it really soak in, it will be the prominent color. After the brown has dried, rub on the black, but don't let it stay on long--wipe it off. You might want to do the blaxk in a few short coats until you get the efect you want. It's similar to a reverse 3-D stain over quilted or flamed maple.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 AM

Reviews: 9

Pretty sure the Gibson is done using red grain filler. You fill then grain, let it dry, then sand back to keep to expose the wood keeping the red filler in the grain. Then stain with black, let dry thoroughly then sand back to reveal the red. It is actually pretty easy to do if you have the right wood to begin with.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM

Reviews: 2

Dye it Jet black.....one heavy coat of sanding sealer.......sand to 220 grit......Dye with scarlet red..... 3 coats of sanding sealer...... clear coat....done
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM

according to Gibson

"Distinctive finish: guitar is painted ebony, rubbed with a red filler, and sealed with a satin lacquer"

I am sure there are many ways to accomplish the finish and the method will depend on what you are comfortable with, and what kind of wood you are using.

When I have done similar finishes, I have selected a piece of wood that has well defined grain lines that are relatively deep. I then either fill the grain or paint/stain the guitar depending on the colors. Then I do the other. I have also used a tinted lacquer (say yellow or black), then sanding sealer, then sanded back to reveal the grain, the another tinted lacquer (say green) The grain ends up being are combination of the two colors.

The most important thing is to test it first. If you paint first you may fill the grain too much or maybe your grain filler will not adhere. If you stain after filler, it may color the filler. It is going to depend on the stain/paint/filler/wood combination. Take a scrap piece of wood and test through the whole process, find out if it works for you, then apply to the guitar.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 PM

I believe what you would need to do is dye the wood with the darker color. Next sand it down til it only leaves that color in the softer grained areas of the body. Next dye the whole thing with the lighter color. Seal it and clear it. I believe it called predying.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Pre-dying is for typically used for flame/quilt/grain enhancement and may work but results will vary (colors will blend). This particular finish is much more defined. But as stated there is more then one way to skin a cat.

I wish I had pictures of all the methods I have used, but I do not always document my builds.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

i see, i see. all answers make sense. ill have to try this sometime. and i dont really trust gibsons method. because lets face it, the gibsons look awful! the grain is almost as dark as the wood haha

Tags
rg370ax , wood grain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode