How do I identify RG without its neck...? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

How do I identify RG without its neck...?

I have what I think is an RG360DX 10+ years old, but can't remember why I think that other than trawling through the ibanez.wikia site and going off looks

Thing is, I can't check the serial number on the neck because it has been replaced with an unbranded one.

So if i said it's

Black
HSH (uncovered, no logos)
No pickguard
No model name on the bridge
Black hardware
Pickup mounts

By my reckoning it could be an RG270, 370, Gio, perhaps a number of others.

Any ideas what else I could look for to help identify it?

------------------

And a supplementary question - if it is bottom of the line, would the same body be used on superior models with "superior" just meaning hardware? i.e. I see the 570, 870, and indeed some PGMs and JPMs, also have basswood bodies.

Thx,
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 10:42 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: How do I identify RG without its neck...?

AANJ or square heel? identify then search by Ibanez tremolo first as it makes it much easier to limit your Ibanez search. The body should have an identifier in the heel though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 10:52 AM

Can you provide a picture of tremolo? That usually helps narrow down the price level of the axe.
Any text on the pickups?
How does the input jack look (routed whole, or plate)?

And to answer your questions - there are slight differences between higher end and lower end RG bodies - different routing for different trems, direct mounted pickups vs ring mounted, different input jack route. Probably few others. I can imagine, that maybe there's also some wood selection process for higher-end models.

Last edited by mlusiak; 02-26-2018 at 11:05 AM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, chaps, will do some pics. Although it'll just be a case of finding out whether it's a cheap guitar or a really cheap guitar...

(I can't get a pleasing sound out of it (I'm assuming they are Powersounds), but I don't know at what point a whole new instrument is better than just swapping the pickups, for example. The fab neck that's on it is a custom-built LED thing, so if I got a better carcase (I'd prefer a hardtail) I'd have to get the router out, which I don't fancy. Or not use the LEDs I guess.)

This is the thing that's confusing me. It seems that someone put a 750 neck on a 250 guitar.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Pic of bridge attached.

Going off a black finish with black hardware, I've narrowed it down to RG270, equivalent Gio GRG270, RG470 (long shot) and RG370DX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trem.jpg (55.7 KB, 29 views)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:08 AM

This is EdgePro II that was mounted primarily on RG3xx series guitars, so it's most likely RG370DX or RG370B. RG270 had different trem and chrome hardware I think.

I have the RG370B, it was my first Ibanez. The trem is not awesome, but it's not horrible either. It keeps tuning fairly well, but the way whammy bar is locked is very rubbish.

EDIT: And yeah, pickups on those were Powersounds and later INFs. Those look like Powersounds - not very good pickups in my opinion.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Great, thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Duh. Just in case anyone is looking at this thread to identify their instrument, when I opened up the back to faff with pickups and soldering I found a sticker explicitly marking it as a RG370DX. Still, it was quite fun looking into it by more -er- roundabout methods...

Tags
basswood , body , identifying , rg270 , rg370

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode