How do they achieve "Velvetouch?" - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 AM
Vendor

Re: How do they achieve "Velvetouch?"

I'll try and remember to ask tomorrow, but if [I will] forget 'll ask back when I'm in Bensalem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:20 AM

Reviews: 1

My '06 JCRG8320 has the Velvetouch treatment as shown in the 2006 Japanese Ibanez catalog. I always thought I did a great job of sanding and sealing my necks for a baby smooth feel but this Velvetouch is beyond what I can achieve. Best feeling neck of all my guitars is my 8320 and a lot has to do with the feel of the neck. Velvetouch, rounded fretboard edges and ball end frets.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
My '06 JCRG8320 has the Velvetouch treatment as shown in the 2006 Japanese Ibanez catalog. I always thought I did a great job of sanding and sealing my necks for a baby smooth feel but this Velvetouch is beyond what I can achieve. Best feeling neck of all my guitars is my 8320 and a lot has to do with the feel of the neck. Velvetouch, rounded fretboard edges and ball end frets.
Your 2006 has it?! Nice! I love the way it feels. I wonder why my 2006 doesn't have it...
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

These aren't my guitars... but it will help visualize what I'm talking about.

The neck on the right is a JC neck with "Velvetouch." See how non glossy it is? It doesn't have a hint of any glare because it doesn't appear to have any clear on it, whatsoever.

The neck on the left is a 550 neck but it has a tad of gloss to it. This is more like the other neck that doesn't have "Velvetouch." It's not a big difference but there is a difference.

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...37.46%20PM.png
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 PM

Am I wrong in assuming that this is just their version of what most makers call a "satin" neck finish, where it's the same finish on the back of the headstock, but it hasn't been polished to a high gloss? I've had Ibanez guitars like this, and that's what it feels like to me. It definitely didn't feel as smooth as oiled wood, but definitely not nearly as sticky as a full gloss poly finish.

I also feel like I remember seeing the "Velvet Touch" treatment advertised waaay back, and that it's not a newer thing, but I'd need to go through old catalogs to be sure.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 02:18 AM
Vendor

I asked Mak tday, he said there was a little more matte in the mix. asked masa, he said he'd find out exactly what the difference is but he thought it was more a different poly, like urethane instead of ester, but was going to ask and find out.

That said I put the 30th against a prestige and visually, basically identical. Feel, virtually identical. If there is difference it's not "holy ****" difference. Not to me anyway.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 PM

I've owned a lot of J Customs and a lot of Prestiges over the years. It's not a huge difference but it is a nice difference in the feel.

Just bought an RG8527SP. Can't wait!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:01 PM

funny I just saw "velvetouch" frets used in an old Ibanez catalog 1978
http://www.ibanez.com/anniversary/ex...at_id=28&now=2

from back then... it sounds like marketing speak for Jumbo frets

Velve-Tune machine heads too

just thought i'd share
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:16 PM

Rich, do you know how they finished the old 7vwh's before they switched over to 5-piece necks? I believe that's similar to what Dave is explaining. I had an '05 7vwh - 5 piece neck and slight gloss finish. I still have my '00 7vwh though, and it's the smoothest neck I've ever had, comparable to my EBMM JP15 (although the JP15 feels more of a wax base). It feels so satin, as if there is no finish. But are you saying they are still finished with a thin layer? Just not polished to a gloss, to give it a satin finish?

It's interesting, how experiences differ. I recently sold an '09 JCRG8570z, and the whole neck had a glossy finish. It didn't bug me, but certainly wasn't the best I've had, considering the 30 or so MIJ RGs I've owned over the years. The gloss on the neck wasn't as thick as the headstock like others have mentioned.. So that leads me to believe that the finish may have been more satin at some point but glossed over the years of playing by its previous owners? I would imagine it would need a lot of play to become so glossy.. Or perhaps just didn't get the "velvet touch" treatment.. But would be odd if they didn't give it a satin finish to begin with considering they do it on most Prestige models.

I sold the 8570z because I bought an '03 JCRG8670. The 8670 neck finish feels similar to one of my RG3120s - feels like an oil finish rather than a satin or gloss finish. Unless this was ALSO satin to begin with?

And when you refer to 1000 dry, is that sand paper? Lol I'm still learning to do all my own tech stuff. I would love to make all my necks satin with a little elbow grease.. I'm just worried of taking off wood and ruining the necks. Ben Eller has a thorough YouTube video of how he does it - to get the EBMM neck feel - but I wouldn't want to do that on my JC.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:52 PM

The '00 is probably an oil finish. My '99 FP is. If done well it is like there's no finish. Jems were traditionally oil finished. Only issue with that finish is that it needs to be maintained and redone from time to time.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveche View Post
Rich, do you know how they finished the old 7vwh's before they switched over to 5-piece necks? I believe that's similar to what Dave is explaining. I had an '05 7vwh - 5 piece neck and slight gloss finish. I still have my '00 7vwh though, and it's the smoothest neck I've ever had, comparable to my EBMM JP15 (although the JP15 feels more of a wax base). It feels so satin, as if there is no finish. But are you saying they are still finished with a thin layer? Just not polished to a gloss, to give it a satin finish?

It's interesting, how experiences differ. I recently sold an '09 JCRG8570z, and the whole neck had a glossy finish. It didn't bug me, but certainly wasn't the best I've had, considering the 30 or so MIJ RGs I've owned over the years. The gloss on the neck wasn't as thick as the headstock like others have mentioned.. So that leads me to believe that the finish may have been more satin at some point but glossed over the years of playing by its previous owners? I would imagine it would need a lot of play to become so glossy.. Or perhaps just didn't get the "velvet touch" treatment.. But would be odd if they didn't give it a satin finish to begin with considering they do it on most Prestige models.

I sold the 8570z because I bought an '03 JCRG8670. The 8670 neck finish feels similar to one of my RG3120s - feels like an oil finish rather than a satin or gloss finish. Unless this was ALSO satin to begin with?

And when you refer to 1000 dry, is that sand paper? Lol I'm still learning to do all my own tech stuff. I would love to make all my necks satin with a little elbow grease.. I'm just worried of taking off wood and ruining the necks. Ben Eller has a thorough YouTube video of how he does it - to get the EBMM neck feel - but I wouldn't want to do that on my JC.
All VWH's were satin clear with the exception of that late 93' batch, I've never seen one that wasn't gloss.

Yes, 1000 grit dry, will break the gloss and take it back to satinish again.

Tags
ibanez , neck finish , velvetouch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode