How do they achieve "Velvetouch?" - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

How do they achieve "Velvetouch?"

Hey guys, I'm wondering if there is any information out there that outlines what exactly Ibanez's "Velvetouch" neck finish is?

Is it a satin clear? Sanded and oiled? unfinished?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:46 PM

Re: How do they achieve "Velvetouch?"

I might be wrong, but the only time i saw it mentioned was for the JCS614's wenge neck.

I didn't see it mentioned for the TAM 100.

I owed the TAM100 prior to the JCS614, and while waiting for the JCS614, I was wondering what would be different.

To the extend of my knowledge : zilch. They might both be velvetouch.

So, it might be something related to wenge, since it sands unevenly due to the different density between dark and lighter areas. Plus, there are large pores, which can be difficult to fill if you desire an even finish (quoted from Wood, Eric Meier).

My 2 cents : velvetouch is Ibanez' technique to achieve an even feel while "touching" the neck. You feel the "differences", but i doesn't hinder playability at all. Your thumb won't get stuck in a pore, etc.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Vendor

I've never heard the term, but then I never read Ibanez' product copy either, it's never been listed as a "spec" that I know of.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM

Velvetouch was the term coined by Ibanez on the JCS614 page.

Seeing as their pages are thorough though...

But who need Ibanez pages when Ibanezrules has more details

Happy trails at NAMM Rich ! looking forward to your debrief.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Vendor

Got a link?

The trail SUCKS ARSE!!

Woke up at 2am and couldn't get back to sleep [valiums just don't kick like they used to!] for a 6am flight, stayed up and worked.

Flight, mechanical problems, didn't lift off till 9. Of course there goes the connecting so I'm in the middle of a 6 hour layover in Denver, with a wifi connection that sometimes wants to actually connect!

Of course that puts me in the "you'd have to be stupid to be in this line" to get my show badge tomorrow morning before the doors open [been there before]

If I had any sense I'd uber to a local dispensary and within minutes my trip would improve greatly!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:33 PM

It's a J.Custom feature they use in the last 5 years or so (matt satin clear in any type of wood).
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:34 PM

How do they achieve, i don't know.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

My 2011 JCRG2011Z has what they called "Velvetouch." The neck is insanely smooth and doesn't appear to have any clear whatsoever. There is a glossy clear on the headstock that immediately stops around the nut where the "velvetouch" then begins.

My 2006 JC RRG3 - Koa has a similar neck finish that my 1998 RG570 has... it's a little bit of gloss... at least that is what it feels like.

I prefer the smooth "Velvetouch" and was just wondering what the process is to achieve that.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Vendor

They can call it what they want but IMO the 2011's had the same satin clear on the back of the necks everything Fujigen does. Possibly a hair more matte I didn't notice, was too worried about it taking on stain bleeding off the cases! And like anything matte or satin, it will polish with play over time.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
They can call it what they want but IMO the 2011's had the same satin clear on the back of the necks everything Fujigen does. Possibly a hair more matte I didn't notice, was too worried about it taking on stain bleeding off the cases! And like anything matte or satin, it will polish with play over time.
Ok... that isn't what I'm asking about, sorry if I wasn't clear.

The finish on my 2011 JC and my 2006 JC is wildly different. As I said, my 2011 JCRG is smooth as silk. With moisture on your hand, it's still impossible for the neck to become a little tacky.It feels like there is no clear.

The finish on my 2006 Koa JC is silky smooth but still tends to become a little tacky if playing with a little perspiration. The difference is night and day. One is glossy and one isn't.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Vendor

Like I said, anything matte or satin will become polished with play. I don't know of any JC's that were shot with gloss clear, pretty much only reserved for neck thrus.

To make it feel slick again hit it with 1000 dry and it'll feel like a newborns ass again.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

My 570 didn't become polished over time. It came with a slight gloss on the neck. My JC however, did not. My PRS Custom 24 has a THICK amount of clear on the neck... this isn't what I'm talking about.

Right on the Ibanez website, under the page for the RG8570, it clearly states:

Velvetouch Finish

"Velvetouch" finish on neck back ensures "just right" feel and ease of play.
j.custom exclusive.

This is only under the J Custom pages and not the Prestiges... which I'm interpreting as, it's only for JC's.

The earliest I can find of Velvetouch existing is from 2009. Since it is a 2006, it's possible they weren't doing it yet? Whatever the difference is, is clear. I will try and post pics when I am home later to explain the difference.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Vendor

Must be the Japanese JC page, that was never put on the US site that I know of.

Slight gloss is satin, it will polish. Not to gloss gloss, but it will loose some of the silky feel as it gets shiny. Satin is what is on everything Fujigen, now possibly with the exception of JC's, which, I did not notice a difference.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Either way, it's obviously something that they do different on the J Customs... but it must have been something they did after 2006.

I'm curious what exactly the process is, because if it's doable, I'd like to do it to my Koa JC. It's #4 of 6 and really rare and I don't want to mess with it for resale purposes. That's why I'm trying to find out exactly what gives it that smooth, non tacky, feel.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:08 PM

My 8570z has velvet touch. Not sure what it is but for what its worth it feels amazing on my hand .

Tags
ibanez , neck finish , velvetouch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode