How does the Air Norton sound clean? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

How does the Air Norton sound clean?

I'm going to swap my stock Blaze bridge p/u for Tone Zone. I'm thinking of putting an Air Norton in the neck, but I really like the clean sound of the Blaze at the neck. The Air Norton will give me a better distorted sound, but will it sacrifce the clean tone much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 03:30 AM

Sounds awesome!

I am using a Tone Zone 7 and Air Norton 7 in my 2027. I have used the stock ibanez pickups for a little while. I had a 7620 when they first came out with stock pickups, and i have played extensively on the universe. Personally, if you truly want a beautiful clean tone.....AIR NORTON is the only way to go. Its amazing. In my band we go from scorching metal to smooth jazz tones. The air norton hits it perfectly. Very round and warm and full of emotion. Flip a switch and boost your treble and you are ready for reggae or any other single coil dependant sound! Also, if you run high gain, the Air Norton gives the awesomest shred tone in the neck. Incredibly clean and distinct. The TZ / AN combo has been my favorite from the moment i tried it. I've since ordered them for another axe, as well as my new custom axe being built for me.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like I will go that route then. Do you coil split the Norton?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 09:40 AM

Air Norton

Yes, i do split the coil. Sounds great. I use my own custom wiring. 5-way switch is set like this:

1: Air Norton humnucker
2: Air Norton split
3: Air Norton / Tone Zone 7 -out of phase with eachother
4: TZ7 split
5: TZ7 humbucker

Then i have a phase switch on my volume knob and tone knob for each humbucker. (push/pull) So for each setting i have two options, except setting three, i have 4 options. I can pretty much get any tone i need.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 08:45 PM

Yeah, i've been using an Air Norton/Tone zone 7-string setup, and the norton has a very defined, "clear" tone to it- the closest i can come to describing it is that it reminds me of a single coil in it's high end response. Great definition when distorted- in my 7620, it gives the distorted notes, once again, a sort of "clarity" to the attack, where you can really hear the sound of the string coming through the diustortion. great tone.

-Drew
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:47 AM

Re: How does the Air Norton sound clean?

hello,
I am looking to replace the stock pickups on my rg350 or one of my rg120s and have noticed that the TZ/AN is the prefered choice. I have never changed pickups so how hard is it to do? Also, these pickups will cost about $180, is it worth it for a novice guitar player? Thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:03 AM

The Air Norton has definatly grown on me as a clean pickup. I use one in a UV style custom and also in an RG2020XTB. The norton gives a great single coil sound when split and quite a mellow jazzy tone when in full bucker mode. The tone zone is an aweful clean pickup... I really must get round to getting rid of them from the 2020 as thats mostly use for clean work.

switching mode for the 2020 is;

Norton full.
Norton Split (neck side coil).
Centre coil Norton, Centre coil TZ.
Outside coil Norton, Outside coil TZ.
TZ.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:28 AM

The Air Norton is a very nice clean sounding pickup, you won't be dissapointed.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:16 PM

It sounds fantastic. I have 4 guitars with the Air Norton in Neck position, and it just sounds beautiful for cleans. Full, warm and defined.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icechest
hello,
I am looking to replace the stock pickups on my rg350 or one of my rg120s and have noticed that the TZ/AN is the prefered choice. I have never changed pickups so how hard is it to do? Also, these pickups will cost about $180, is it worth it for a novice guitar player? Thanks
Firstly, where are you buying these pickups from that they will cost you $180? You can generally find Dimarzio pickups for around 70 bucks a pop. Secondly, if you're a beginner then I wouldn't really worry about replacing pickups in a guitar. The first thing that you should think about changing is your amp setup if you're not happy with your tone. Once you have that worked out THEN you worry about your pickups.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:12 PM

Actually i'm not that new to playing guitar. I've been jammin' with my band for just over five years, my personal opinion is that i still consider that to be novice. I have a decent PA system that I run out of my house which i use with effect boards/petals to get the sounds I want. The reason I want to upgrade my pickups is that the stock ones can't handle my shed/lead parts of the songs. They can't play two high notes at the same time.

I was looking at some more reviews on both the TZ and the AN pickups today and noticed that people have put them in both positions on their guitars. What's the difference as far as sound styles? I am looking for a versatily guitar that I can go from mellow and soft to those hard and heavy power chords and high gain tones.

I buy all of my guitar equipment from Musicians Friend and Sam Ash. I believe these are the two pickups that we are all talking about... correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.***************.com/produ...rts?sku=302704

http://www.***************.com/produ...rts?sku=302430
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 AM

i have the air norton and air norton 7 in 6 guitars. 4 6 strings and 2 7 strings. it is my favorite neck pickup, closely followed by the alnico 2 pro. the air norton is extremely versatile. when clean it is super fat, sounds best tapped and combined with another single coil. the best way is with the inner coils of both the neck and bridge. the jpm middle position tone. sparkles like no other like this. the AN is a fat sounding pickup to begin with, so the single coil mode is really like an overwound strat. really ballsy. you'll love it.

rich
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:13 PM

it sounds wonderfull, even in the jazz

Tags
air norton , blaze bridge , clean tone , coil mode , coil split , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , high gain tones , ibanez pickups , inner coils , neck pickup , neck position , playing guitar , sam ash , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode