How does the S Series differ from the JS? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

How does the S Series differ from the JS?

Wasnt sure whether this belonged in here or the JS section....

from what i can see, the two look to be pretty similar in body shapes? is it just a difference like the RG>PGM>JEM? or are they two totally different guitars??

rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: How does the S Series differ from the JS?

They have the same shape, but the S is deffently slimmer and made of mahogony, the newer ones (after 92) have AANJ. and wizzard necks.
The JS has a Fender telecaster style neck, (C-shaped) body is basswood, one piece neck.

I prefer the S over the JS any day!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

ok cool - wasnt to sure just from the pictures ive compared!

thanks!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 AM

S is beter
The neck is better and the body.
They are way thin, I love them!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:32 AM

How can you say that any of them are better? You may prefer one over the other, but that doesn't make the whole range of S models better than every JS model.

There are so many lower end S models, to me the JS is a safer bet. If you know what you want - when it comes to trems and pickups - the S models are pretty safe to buy too. Maple fretboard and HS config? Can't get that on a JS.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

i was only wondering because i was toying with buying a JS body off the bay (one of nate's ones), but im glad i didnt - i was vaguely aware that the S was thin, and just assumed the JS was the same!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:27 PM

Both are great guitars born of the same 540 family...
want basswood it's JS...
want mahogany it's the S...
want thicker vintage neck go JS...
want thinnest fastest neck on market go S...
want the original edge trem go JS...
want the latest tech trem go the S...

The only thing that is essential is you buy the high end made in Japan models,the difference between the high end and cheapies is big...quality of course but more importantly the specs.
If you haven't played a japanese S or JS......well you simply haven't played an S or JS...PERIOD.

BTW....I've owned all of the above..all are awesome....but S will always win for me....by a nose.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

and what if i want mahogany with the wizard/super wizard neck and the original edge?!

im guessing thats straying into the realms of custom territory?!

and i think all the new S's are indo arent they?!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybaby1985 View Post
i was only wondering because i was toying with buying a JS body off the bay (one of nate's ones), but im glad i didnt - i was vaguely aware that the S was thin, and just assumed the JS was the same!
Well it is thin but only on the top side..then it tapers down to a regular thickness..from the back end it looks like a tear drop.

S's are skinny all round like a flying saucer....thinness varies a little due to hand shaping and japan models are thinner than the cheaper models.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 PM

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Both are great guitars born of the same 540 family...
want basswood it's JS...
want mahogany it's the S...
want thicker vintage neck go JS...
want thinnest fastest neck on market go S...
want the original edge trem go JS...
want the latest tech trem go the S...

The only thing that is essential is you buy the high end made in Japan models,the difference between the high end and cheapies is big...quality of course but more importantly the specs.
If you haven't played a japanese S or JS......well you simply haven't played an S or JS...PERIOD.

BTW....I've owned all of the above..all are awesome....but S will always win for me....by a nose.
I'd have to respectfully disagree completely with that statement. And I'm speaking as far as the JS series go. Having owned several JS100's and a JS1000. I can honestly say that aside from hardware, I couldn't see a major difference between a JS100 and JS1000. Slap an Edge trem and Dimarzio's in a JS100 and to me it's the same guitar. Only differences in the necks that I could tell were the frets(obviously the JS1000 had a little more refinement in the fret department). However, neck profiles seemed exactly the same to me. There were little nuances in the JS1000 neck that the JS100 didn't quite have. However, not enough to warrant the over $1000 price difference.

In my opinion, you take a JS100 mod it with a trem and pups and you've got a screamer for a fraction of a JS1000. Buying used vs. used, you still come out ahead with a modded(to JS1000 specs) JS100. I sold my JS1000 for $1k, in the past snagged a JS100 for a measly $350, and after adding a Edge and Dimarzio's(plus volume push-pull), was still well under $1000 for a JS1000.

The only difference you get with a JS1000 over a JS100, is the fact you get to say, "it's a JS1000" and if that's what fires your rockets, then so be it. To each their own.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 PM

JS... from 540R
540S.....is 540 R on heavy diet.
540P.....is 540 R with extensive body building and steroids.
PII... is 540P with too many steroids.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 11:06 PM

MIJ 540-S from the late 80s or early 90s. I have a 1988 540-S that is just that, and a 1993 540-S with a Lo-pro Edge. Great guitars.

Quote:
and what if i want mahogany with the wizard/super wizard neck and the original edge?!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:

No,prestige sabers are made in japan again for the last few years....and the super wizard became standard on them in 2010.
So finally you can buy a new MIJ S with the specs we loved of the early sabers.....though i would prefer an edge trem over the Z system,but the 24 frets makes up for that.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode