How does this sound for a 7 string design? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

How does this sound for a 7 string design?

I am very interested in having a custom 7 string built for me by LGM guitars. I've sent him may e-mails and he has been greatly helpfull. I pretty much know all the specs but I can't say I've tried this combination, it is mostly based on reserach. Some opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Mahogany RG body, aanj, body and headstock binding (white)

maple neck with integral headstock construction (reversed and tilted), universe dimensions, bolt-on

ebony fretboard, 25.5, 24 6105 frets with last 4 scalopped

Lo Pro Edge tremolo, screw on lock nut, chrome hardware, Planet Waves auto trim tuners

1 volume and EMG 707 bridge pickup only, direct mounted

jem style input cavity

no inlay, side markers

candy purple finish

Any input is greatly appreciated. I am mostly unsure about my choice of woods, pickup, and neck dimensions (comfort). I mostly play heavy stuff and lots of shred, some clean stuff but I can live with an EMG clean. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 03:31 PM

Sounds real sweet to me The UV necks are awesome and are designed exactly for the styles or music you play. Mahog and the EMG should go together well - tight low end from both . Infact this guitar sounds exactly the same as one I am having made - apart from mine will have 8 strings
-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 03:56 PM

There's a bit of a difference betweenthe early UV necks and the current ones. I believe most people find the earlier ones a little easier to play. Ask Jeremy, he'll tell you the differences.
The rest of it sounds good to me, except for the choice of color. Candy purple wouldn't really be my thing, but if it floats your boat, I'm sure Jeremy will make it look awesome for you.

jim
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 04:57 PM

Well, the jury is VERY much split as to how mahogany works as a 7-string tonewood. I personally prefer something brighter and with a stronger fundamental to preserve the low end clarity. Others say the stronger, "woodier" midrange is more valuable within the context of a mix. Personally, I say consider some other possibilities before you settle on mahogany- if nothing else, the research would be good for you, and you'd know you're choosing mahogany for the right reasons, not just because so many guys get heavy tones out of Les Pauls.

'Course, at the end of the day, I guess an EMG really places its own "stamp" on the sound of a guitar to the extent that the wood choice isn't as big a deal...

and I second the passing on the candy purple. Not with white binding, man. Maybe a navy? but to each their own.

-D
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 12:56 AM

Sounds like a very sweet guitar! My only advice is maybe you want to think about 27" scale. Good for low-end stuff, but 25.5" will da ya fine.

I like purple. Sounds sweet.

And as for mahogany, Drew is right. (He and I go 'round and 'round on this. ) Definitely a stronger fundamental tone. The bass notes ring 'clearer.' But just like he said... in the mix? (Here's the difference between Drew and I. He's a little more of a stay at home player, while I do almost all of my playing in a band setting. Neither is better, just 2 different perspectives He isn't a mahogany 7-string fan, I am a huge mahogany 7-string fan.) Mahogany is GREAT in a band. Everything just CUTS, thanks to that midrange. It's my favorite tonewood, overall.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 01:32 AM

Sounds a lot like a Dino model (which might make sense considering your username) . Sounds good to me overall...Wordwolf has a good point, of you're planning to tune down a lot, as most metal players do, It might be worth going for a 27" scale...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
'Course, at the end of the day, I guess an EMG really places its own "stamp" on the sound of a guitar to the extent that the wood choice isn't as big a deal...
I would agree with this, EMG's kind of "take-over" the tone of the guitar, so I would go with a cheap, light, and stable wood, and then derive tone from the pickup.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwolf
And as for mahogany, Drew is right. (He and I go 'round and 'round on this. ) Definitely a stronger fundamental tone. The bass notes ring 'clearer.' But just like he said... in the mix? (Here's the difference between Drew and I. He's a little more of a stay at home player, while I do almost all of my playing in a band setting.
Do you know that for a fact? Because while I owned the 2027, i was gigging weekly, sometimes more than that, and recording on my own whenever i had the chance... and getting a recorded tone I was satisfied with was part of the problem for me. I like dark yet clear tones, and mahogany was giving me a warm, middy sound that i just couldn't quite get to work. I'm not currently gigging, but that'll change as soon as i find a new band- sure, i practice at home a lot, but i spend a lot of time playing out, too.

Actually, you got it backwards. The fundamental is weaker in mahogany, and the middle harmonics are more pronounced. In a harder, heavier wood, the reverse would be true- less harmonic resonance, but a very clear fundamental. This, especially compared to mahogany's weaker treble, gives you great articulation.

-D
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 06:32 AM

Yep, you're exactly right, Drew. I meant to say that woods OTHER than mahogany have a clearer fundamental, while mahogany is smokier. Lol... But hey! Realize I AM straight on my tonewoods 101!

My apologies. Basically, I figured I play out a LOT more than you or most anyone probably. (2-3 nights a week, every week, since I've owned my 2027, which is almost 2 1/2 years) So, I have quite a bit of experience with a mahogany 7 in a live setting.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 04:25 PM

no apologies needed. Just busting your balls, as the saying goes.

Tone is too subjective to get worked up about. I mean, just because yours sucks, doesn't mean...

Na, all I've got to say on the subject of mahogany as a 7-string tonewood is "it's not for me" for the reasons above. It could be "for you" for the exact same reasons- as long as we've both got reasons for our choices, then it works as far as I'm concerned. And that's the nice thing about guitars- there's so many different ways to make them.

-D
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 04:55 AM

Amen, brutha!

Ya know, I wonder how Swamp Ash would sound in a 7? It's kinda got characteristics of both mahogany AND a nice well-rounded wood like alder or basswood.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 05:50 PM

Only one way to find out.

-D
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 10:06 PM

Have there been any relatively mainstream companies that have brought out any swamp ash 7's? The idea does sound interesting.

And yes, mahogany definitely gives the tone a "spongier" character. If you're heavily influenced by Fear Factory, and want a tone "in that direction," bear in mind that Dino always used basswood guitars.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 04:55 AM

I can't recall ever hearing of any swamp ash 7's, but then, I haven't really looked either. I'm sure SOMEONE has done it, tho. It might be a winner of an idea. Swamp ash seems to have a nice balance between 'clear' and 'spongy.' Maybe with a maple top, you could have a real winner.

Anybody goin' to LGM or EKG for a custom 7? How about being our guinea pig and trying swamp ash!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:44 AM

I know Rick Jakket of finger eleven uses a couple of PRS Swamp Ash Specials tuned to C#. While it's not quite as low as a 7-string, I can say it definitely sounds good

Tags
basswood bodies , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , bridge pickup , chrome hardware , custom jem , ebony fretboard , edge trem , fret neck , fret necks , headstock binding , les paul , les pauls , lgm guitars , local luthier , lock nut , mahogany body , maple neck , neck dimensions , planet waves , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , swamp ash , swamp ash special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode