How fast can you make the switch? - Going from 7 to 6 and ba - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

How fast can you make the switch? - Going from 7 to 6 and ba

To those of you whom use 7's regularly... Do you also play 6 strings? *How long does it feel akward to your hands (and brain) *after you switch? *

I'm having some major difficulties getting comfortable with both sizes. *Ideally, I'd like to be able to pick up either and feel "at home" instantly. *I feel like 7 is home and 6 is just missing a string!

Moderators: I apologize if this is out of place... it's meant to be a question to 7 String players, and not specifically about a particular 7 string guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 02:17 AM

How fast can you make the switch?

well, the 7 *is my baby now, and i'm a big endorser of the seven-string concept, but whenever i pick up my strat, i feel like i know everything about it, and its babyfood compared to my 7. occasionally when i'm working out complex chords or lines that i've written or i'm reading about, i pick up my 6 to see how it works, and later i'll pick up my 7 to try new things with it... but that's pretty rare, i'm basically an exclusive 7 player. a 6 feels kinda puny to me, but it feels "easier," i feel like i know every spot on it like the back of my hand, while the 7 is a bit more complex.

so answer is, the 7 is my exclusive instrument, but i'm not uncomfortable with someone handing me a 6 because i know that i know the 6 really well, like something i've "graduated" from (not even close to really mastering it at all though!) so if i was in a jam and some guy handed me a strat, i'd feel at home... although i'd be burning to run home and grab my prized 7.

wow, that was one hell of long-winded explanation :biggrin:
-Pryde
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 04:53 AM

No problems, I'll switch back an forth when I want really, just put one down and pick the other up. Although sometimes while playing a 6 I tend to forget there's a string missing ... :doh:

The only difference is that the 6 is easier to play, feels smaller etc.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 06:43 AM

There is zero period of adjustment for me. I play my 2027, 7-string, almost exclusively for anything electric/electric-acoustic (amplified basically) and I play my classical guitar, 6-string for all my 'real' acoustic stuff. I practice and write songs on both, although I tend to practice lead-type stuff on my 7, just because it's electric, and I practice theory/sight reading stuff mostly on my classical. But I just jump back and forth, with no troubles. (Maybe playing classical helps, as it's neck width at the nut is STILL wider than my 7, and it's only 6 strings. Heck, a 6-string bass feels wonderful to me. I love wide, thin necks.)

(Edited by Wordwolf at 6:59 am on Jan. 30, 2002)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I also have no problem switching to an acoustic 6 string. *I guess it must be the super small rg1200 neck that is giving me problems! *...thanks for the input guys.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 02:52 PM

Once you're really accustomed to the 7-string you hardly notice the difference...really. I just play and play and play on my Jems and UV...It's more the sound that draws my attention...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 03:13 PM

I have absolutely no problems, but in the beginning I must admit, it was indeed a very intimidating experience. But like Vai said once in an interview, he recokned it to being like a key board, like adding another set of letters. After a while you'll get used to it, come to think of it, it took me a couple of hours. Switching back and forth should be no problem, but just think of it, what you can do on a 6 you can do on a 7 and more!

Although I have yet to do much more than I can do on a regular 6!

Chris.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 04:44 PM

It will take very little time to get used to the 7. *The scale patterns you know and love are easily utilized just by recognizing that the low B is like your high B. *You'll probably start playing in different keys than you may currently be accustomed but that in itself might spark some creativity in your playing and songwriting.

I personally find it more of a challenge to back to a six string as the tunes you derive that take advantage of the low B can't be played the same, as cannot the new chord shapes you derive with the low B.

Overall, neither direction is much of a challenge though...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 05:58 PM

* I find no problem in shifting back and forth, i play in 4 different tunning with 4 different guitars, 2 6string and 2 7's. nad other than the ocasional nag about wanting to play 7 string based songs on my 6 string and complining that immissing a string there is no problem.i play in standard tunning for both 7 and six and also to drop d and E flat all in different guitars so my confusion is a bt bigger when i have to change guitars when i practice. but with the band its mainly standard 6 and 7, and its not a problem.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 09:01 PM

I go back and forth between 6's and 7's every day, so it's no big adjustment for me.

Granted that was the hardest part about playing a 7; going back and forth.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 12:20 AM

Well, there was a bit of a learning curve... I remember on a gig i was playing, i'd just put down my 7 and got my strat strapped on, and my band immediately broke into the next tune. i started playing, and after a half second i was like, "hold up guys, this doesn't feel right!" i thought i was playing all the wrong notes, probably because of the difference in neck feel, # of strings, and tone (world of difference between my strat and my rg-7). Turns out i was right, but it took me a few seconds to realize i WASN'T screwing up, lol.

It's better now- after a second or two it feels natural. Sometimes i still find myself wanting to reach for that low B, but i almost always catch mysef. And for whoever said you can do whatever you can on a 6 on a 7, try busting out vauhan's version of the intro to "Little Wing," lol. that thumbed bass stuff is SCARY with a B in the way. :-)

-Drew
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 08:42 AM

I don't have any problem adjusting, it's just that the 6's feel natural, because I'm more used to them, 7's just add a new dimension to my playing. *The only thing is the width of the neck, and killin your arm if you wear your axe low. *Even though I love the 7 concept, and the idea behind it, but, in my opinion, nothing beats a good ol' drop tuned 6. *But anything tuned below C (below 2 whole steps down) is floppy, hence the reason for the 7th string.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 10:35 AM

The transition from a 1077 to a JEM isn't too bad-normally a couple of minutes will acclimatise. The extra scale length is a consideration though. But it's not like I'm playing fast complicated stuff anyway.
How difficult is it to fret a power chord?

Guy
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 04:54 PM

For me? *Well it's taking 3 years and counting to adjust to the 7-string (don't have one yet, but still drooling :biggrin. *But I've tried one in a store and found I'd fret the E-string and pick the B-string :doh: then, when I got home, my 6-string felt wimpy. * *:biggrin:
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

It's amazing how a couple months change things.

I don't have any discomfort with either anymore, although I feel slightly less coordinated on the 7 still.

Tags
string bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode