How good guitars are LA customs? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

How good guitars are LA customs?

Im about to buy an LA custom from this one guy and I would be very pleased to know everything possible about those guitars. Am I right that theyre made for endorsees only? Considering that, the price seems very reasonable to me. What are they actually worth? He says its an RG6 LA Custom. Does that tell me anything? Any info would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:04 PM

Sounds like one of the LA Custom Shop DESIGNED J-Customs that came out a few years ago. Does it have a flat black finish?

They seemed like pretty cool guitars- solid, simple and built to rock. As far as quality, they should be just as good as any J-Custom.

http://www.jemsite.com/jcustom/jpn_j...csd1/index.htm

Here's some more general info: http://www.jemsite.com/jcustom/jpn_jc_2001/lacsd/
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Vendor

I don't know why it's listed as a JC, unless somebody knows something definate I believe they were straight production line models, and the price says so too.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I don't know why it's listed as a JC, unless somebody knows something definately I believe they were straight production line models, and the price says so too.
I guess that's what I get for getting my info from Jemsite! LOL
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 02:59 PM

They have regular Ibanez/swoosh logo headstocks, and don't have J-Custom or even Prestige identifiers, so that's a pretty good indicator right there.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:48 PM

Ahhh...THAT explains why they're listed as J-Customs. Now I get it...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 04:29 PM

Yeah... makes sense, huh?

Maybe the guitars with the "Custom Made" plaque at the 21st fret should be listed under the J-Custom category as well.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 04:29 PM

Heka - it's likely the one that Vaijem777 pointed you to - the RG6CSD. I have one and it's a very nice guitar. it looked like the going price when they were new was 110,000 JPY without case or around a $1,000 USD new (not sure what monetary denomination it would be for your neck of the woods). These models appeared to be an experiment destined for the European and Japanese markets only where they experimented with EMG and Seymour Duncan pups and baritone scale lengths, etc. They were a production model and not a JC - however they only made them for one year (2000) and at least here in the states, I've only come across one of them and that's the one I have. That being said, I think they're somewhat rare and that's good enough for me!

As for the guitar, basswood body is nice and light with a 5 piece Wizard neck. I replaced the stack EMG for a DiMarzio Evo when I first got it and it came with a chrome speed knob and not the rubbery one shown in the picture. This was Kirk Slossar's and he had the body holoflashed and I had the headstock done the same shortly after. If the price is reasonable and you value a low production guitar, I'd get it!

I'd love to find one of the 7 string models
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Looking at the info about those LA designed gtrs Im now sure its the RG6CSD2 (the red one).

Well, maybe not an LA Custom, but its in mint condition and Im still going to buy it .
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DY
I'd love to find one of the 7 string models
Im with you, this thing here is just beautiful:

http://www.jemsite.com/jcustom/jpn_j...d/rg7csd2.html

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 06:28 PM

Yeah, but this is the one I'd like

http://www.jemsite.com/jcustom/jpn_j...csd1/index.htm

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Yes, got the guitar today and its in perfect condition. Also got a little 15w amp, a dod YJM overdrive, a metronome, V-Amp 2, some cables and a M100 HSC. All for 885 (1065$) and believe me or not but thats a good price here in Finland! The guy said he paid a little over 2000 (2410$) for the stuff new.

Well, anyways Im going to sell all but the gtr, HSC and the metronome and Im very pleased with the deal I got =).
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 12:20 PM

So which guitar is it? There wasn't a red one in the LACSD style.

Pics?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DY
So which guitar is it? There wasn't a red one in the LACSD style.

Pics?
It was RG6CSD2
And yes there was a red one:
http://www.jemsite.com/jcustom/jpn_j...d/rg6csd2.html

Sorry, cant get any pics at the moment ...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 02:42 PM

Ah... i didn't see the color change. Very nice - baritone scale, eh?

These are pretty rare (over here). Nice grab

Tags
basswood body , custom shop , dimarzio evo , paf pro , pickup ring , pickup rings , production model , scale lengths , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in