How have you Upgraded/Modified your RG? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

How have you Upgraded/Modified your RG?

Just curious what everybody here has done to their Ibanez RG's to suite the type of music they play as well as their playing style?

Did you change string gauge? New pick ups? Installed a Tremel-no? Tell me about your guitar and what you did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 PM

Re: How have you Upgraded/Modified your RG?

Well, virtually ALL guitars I buy at some point get a pickup swap, and set up with my preferred string gauge.

My UV7PWH is probably a good extreme example - it's strung up 10-48 with a 68 low B, has the stock Blaze bridge but a PAF7 in the neck and a Falbo-wound custom single coil in the middle, and has the LoPro Edge (which wore away to the point where it was no longer functional) replaced with a OFR7. I swapped out a Floyd Upgrades trem block for the standard one, and I haven't gotten around to doing it yet (for like 2 years, lol, it's my backup behind my Suhr now) but I have stainless FU hardware and titanium inserts to replace the stock ones when I get a chance. Ditto with the new Floyd pop-in trem bar; maybe this weekend I'll throw it on. Also, the stock frets were smaller than I prefer and getting pretty worn, so I had it refretted with jumbo fretwire maybe two or three years ago.

Believe it or not, that's nothing on my Strat - the only parts still stock on that are the body, neck, fretwire (but that's going in this summer too), output jack, and string trees.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 PM

RG 550 - Bought a 2H pickguard and put in an X2N bridge and Fred neck... that's it though!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:03 PM

Reviews: 10

All 3 of my RG's have had some work. I change the pots on my Ibanez guitars because I like to use the volume control a lot and it seems like all of my Ibanez guitars did not have nice volume pots - taper was uneven and not smooth. I also changed the pups on all of them and put a tremol-no in my 550. Details:

1990 RG550 - SD JB in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. New pots (Ibanez pots suck) and a tremol-no installed.

2008 RG2550zgk - Dimarzio Air Zone in the bridge, area '58 middle and Paf 36th inthe neck. Also had new volumepots and a stellar tone pot installed

2009 RG2570MZ - Put Paf 36th pups in bridge and neck with an area in the middlle. Also new pots.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:41 PM

Reviews: 6

only my atlantic blue 550 and jem 7vwh are stock...all the rest have different pickups etc...oh and all are strung 9-46 1/2 step down...d.m.
diablomozart is online  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 PM

Reviews: 1

1990 RG770FMCB - changed trem to a cosmo Lo-Pro, painted orange Ibanez knobs and switch tip from IbanezRules, Dimarzio red/black FRED bridge, IBZ/USA C2 with red Diamrzio cover middle and black/red Evolution neck.

1992 RG750CA - changed trem to cosmo Lo-Pro, maroon knobs and tip from IbanezRules, Tone Zone bridge, IBZ/USA C2 middle and Air Norton neck

1999 RG421BK MIJ - added smoked mirror pickguard, blue 770dx reissue knobs and tip, Tone Zone/Air Norton combo

1993 JEM 7VWH - just replaced stock single with a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2

Last edited by metalhead52; 04-28-2015 at 10:02 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 PM

I did all the way, from minor modification to large scale face-off operation.

1. look is the most important things to me, even the guitar sounds good, if it looks terrible, I'll modify it to meet my taste. I don't care it's hi end prestige or J custom to low end cheap gio.
2. the way it sounds come second. most of the time is pickup change.

some thing that I never changed is the strings gauge and brand...and maybe pick..
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 06:25 AM

Reviews: 6

I have a 1995 RG 550 LTD I bought 15 years ago: the V8 has a damaged winding -> pickup replaced by DiMarzio (EVO2 since 10 years)
The switch was also a crap: replaced
I then replaced the middle and neck pickups by a virtual 2 middle (now vintage 54 pro) and paf pro (before were a double whammy and a paf joe)
I added then a push-pull knob on the tone slot to switch the neck pickup to parallel

I also had to replace the female jack plug of the guitar 10 years ago: normal wear of plug

Added recently pieces of copper bolted to the trem block to have a sort of big block

Last edited by satch_jr; 04-29-2015 at 06:39 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
I did all the way, from minor modification to large scale face-off operation.

1. look is the most important things to me, even the guitar sounds good, if it looks terrible, I'll modify it to meet my taste. I don't care it's hi end prestige or J custom to low end cheap gio.
2. the way it sounds come second. most of the time is pickup change.

some thing that I never changed is the strings gauge and brand...and maybe pick..
So you just stick with the factory strings until they break then you replace them with the same strings?

I guess I Should play my own game, Ive done the following to my MIJ RG470:

EMG 81/SA/85, D'addario XL .10's, Gotoh Bridge and hoping to get a tremol-no in the new future...

My RG870QMZ has had the strings changed to NYXL .09's, thinking about maybe swapping in some new pick ups although I'm not sure what I should get just yet!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Steels View Post
So you just stick with the factory strings until they break then you replace them with the same strings?

I guess I Should play my own game, Ive done the following to my MIJ RG470:

EMG 81/SA/85, D'addario XL .10's, Gotoh Bridge and hoping to get a tremol-no in the new future...

My RG870QMZ has had the strings changed to NYXL .09's, thinking about maybe swapping in some new pick ups although I'm not sure what I should get just yet!

I use 2 different tuning on my guitars.
E standard using D'addario XL ( yes..same as factory default strings set) 9-42
Eb using D'addario XL 9.5-44

it's always been like that.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:02 PM

I think I've changed the pups in almost all of my guitars (except my RG685):

RG1550: Took out the V7/V8 and put in 2 gravity storms (in blue).
RG2550: Put in a Duncan Perpetual burn, Dimarzio blue velvet (found one unopened), and IBZ USA F4
RG560: Put in an AT1 and 2 cruiser bridge pups (middle and neck)
RGR580: Put a full set of dimarzio Evos in it

The only one of these 4 guitars that isn't standard tuning is the 2550. It's in Eb tuning with Daddario 10-46 gauge strings.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 02:16 PM

'99 rg520qs. Swapped pickups for a Norton/air Norton set, then to a carvin holdsworth set. Still think about the Norton. I also put a super switch in it, first with the prs wiring, now with my own version that doesn't require a magnet swap to work.

Rg921. Put a set of full shreds in it. Not that the stock dimarzio/ibz were bad, it was more because they installed two bridge pickups from the factory and the neck pickup never sounded right.

Rg3xxv. Bone stock. I can't fault this one yet. I keep taking the ZPS out and reinstalling it. I think it is in for good now. I only use the trem for embellishment and the stiffness around the zero point allows me to have a degree of control to get some subtle strat vibrato.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 08:06 PM

Reviews: 2

Wait...... you can modify guitars???
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Wait...... you can modify guitars???
nahh..... not really.
we just screw up a good guitar to meet our taste.
same thing with the prog metal thing.. you know.. make a good song and screw with it, and call it prog.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 10:00 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
nahh..... not really.
we just screw up a good guitar to meet our taste.
same thing with the prog metal thing.. you know.. make a good song and screw with it, and call it prog.
LMFAO!!!!!

You actually got me laughing with that one!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode