How to know if my acoustic guitar has flat fingerboard or radiused fingerboard - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

How to know if my acoustic guitar has flat fingerboard or radiused fingerboard

I have a Yamaha FS100C acoustic guitar.

In website it says Fingerboard Radius: R400mm (15 3/4") what does it mean I can't understand as I am a beginner.

I want to get a capo for it, so i want to know if it has a flat fretboard/fingerboard or radiused fretboard/fingerboard.

I bought Daddario NS Artist Capo but D string buzzes a lot even if capo tension is increased somewhat (standard tunning).

To check capo pressure i am picking strings downwards just exactly as how we do when tuning a guitar and D string buzzes a lot.

I don't want to keep high tension on the strings by tightening the capo a lot as it would defeat the purpose of getting an somewhat expensive capo with screw adjustment for tension too.

I am using Gibson light 11 - 52 gauge strings on the guitar after i tried to make the capo work with a little tension adjustment in the screw had no luck, and strings got out of tune after some trials.

I have been looking in between NS Artist Capo & Tri-Action Capo from Daddario.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 09:31 AM

The easiest way to understand what a radius is, is by picturing what the information is telling you. Think of it like this, picture a 10 inch circle, and a 15 inch circle. The 10 is smaller therefore the curve will be sharper because it's a shorter distance to complete the circle. Where the 15 inch is much larger so the curve is less sharp. So the larger the number the flatter the radius. So your fingerboard is fairly flat.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Re: How to know if my acoustic guitar has flat fingerboard or radiused fingerboard

Thanks @JsXLine6 for such a clear explanation, I feel very happy and have learnt a new thing today

Shall I get this Daddario Artist Classical Capo it seems to have a flat capo pad, have a look at it once please.

I want a trigger style capo, if the Artist Classical Capo is perfect for my guitar then I will return the Daddario Artist Capo that I purchased as D string is buzzing so much.

But in Daddario website for Artist Capo they didn't say that its for radiused fretboard, just this line is present over there "Designed for use on 6-string electric and acoustic guitars", strange that it doesn't press the D string enough for my guitar, as the capo pad seems to have some curve.

The Artist Capo series are having good room to place hand comfortably while playing chords and tabs even in the frets nearest to the capo.

Looking forward for your suggestion

Last edited by Mateen; 02-01-2020 at 12:03 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:22 PM

Well classical guitars have a very flat radius, so that should work for you. Though depending on where you place the capo in-between frets can cause it to make strings buzz as well. You can try to place it in different spots between the desired fret, then tune the guitar with the capo on. Placing the capo in the middle of the the 2 frets will cause a different elevation in action in realtion to the next fret compared to right next or behind the fret. Chances are the capo you have is meant to be used on a fender strat style radius (somewhere between 9 and 10.5) or a Les Paul radius (12"). If changing the placement doesn't work for you at that point I would get the classical style capo.

Last edited by JsXLine6; 02-01-2020 at 12:29 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Re: How to know if my acoustic guitar has flat fingerboard or radiused fingerboard

@JsXLine6

I have tried keeping the capo in between the frets and also right behind the fret, all strings seem fine with almost very little pressure from the capo, but D string is requiring more pressure.

If I increase the pressure from the capo (not to full though) the D string sounds fine when plucking lightly or naturally, but if plucked hardly such as downward pluck done when tuning a guitar, when tuning we pluck a string hardly right, in that style the D string causing somewhat buzz (not very loud buzz).

I wish I had stores near by who would sell good capo but only bad ones are available in my city stores, so I am getting from online.

One thing i am worried is if I return this artist capo and get a classical capo is there any chance that it might turn out to be worse than artist capo for my guitar ? I am just worried because amazon might not take so many return + refund multiple times.

I want to decide and make a final decision, please suggest.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

@JsXLine6

Most of the songs I want to learn have capo on the first 2 - 5 frets only I guess, I listen to Shawn Mendes more and stuff like that, Ed Sheeran, Pop Music

The capo has problem with starting frets only probably 1st & 2nd, because string action is low it is not able to touch strings enough i feel.

"https://imgur.com/a/357Fql3" (my guitar - copy paste the link please)

My Yamaha FS100C guitar seems to have almost flat fretboard like you mentioned expect the edges are somewhat roundly bend over (it seemed to me like much flatter at center and goes broad and slight curve/bend at edges)?

Yesterday I was kinda writing/singing a original song and played with capo very high like near 10th or 12 fret it was fine, Capo doing good on medium & higher frets.

Will Classical style capo be able to touch the lower E string and higher E string finely ?

Last edited by Mateen; 02-02-2020 at 02:20 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 09:20 AM

Yes it will clamp your lower strings just fine. The foam on the capo will compensate for any pressure. But it will work better than the one you have because the pressure on each string will be more even.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:03 PM

It also matters how close to the frets you put it. Try moving it around to see if that helps.

Tags
acoustic guitar , capo , fingerboard , fretboard , string buzz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in