How to know what hum is in my new RG550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By tigeryear74
  • 1 Post By sepulchrave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Question How to know what hum is in my new RG550

I bought this guitar yesterday. It's made in Japan in 1990. The guy who sold me told me that he put some Dimarzio in bridge but he "don't remeber" what is model... Guitar is amazing! Neck is great, frets are fine and Floyd is work great. I don't have a problem with "out of tune" at all. All in all, I am happy with this guitar!
BUT, how to know what Dimarzio I have? Do I have to remove it to see it or do I have another way?

Here is pics:

Q2: What is sound difference between V1-V2 and V7-V8 hums on this guitar?

This is my first Ibanez, so apologize for my ignorance.
Thanks!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180906_080851.jpg (1.38 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20180830_010546.jpg (831.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by destructor; 05-20-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 04:16 PM

Re: How to know what hum is in my new RG550

Congratulations on the RG550! Looks like a great player guitar, worn in and ready to rock.
From the looks of the pickup bobbins, it's most likely a Dimarzio Tone Zone, but there are less popular models with the same bobbins.
If you want to know for sure, yes, you have to take off the strings, and then unscrew the pick guard, and just look at the underside of the bridge pickup.
You don't have to remove the pickup at all, just open the guitar up and take a look. It should either have a sticker, or a stamp into the under side of the pickup that tells you the model number.
From there just go to the Dimarzio site and see which model you have by matching the number (Tone Zone is DP 155).

As for the difference between the different V humbucker pickups (Ibanez version of the Dimarzio) they are made specifically for neck and bridge sounds, so they don't sound the same.
I usually always replace my stock V pickups in all the early RG models I have, usually with Dimarzios (My favorite is the Tone Zone or PAF Pro, but I have other models in other guitars so I can get different sounds from all of them). The V's don't sound all that bad, but you can get a wider variety of sounds by using different models of Dimarzios. More versatile.

Enjoy your first Ibanez RG, you got one of the best ones! (in my opinion)
destructor likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:22 PM

I have V1, S1, V2 in mine and I really like the way they sound, they're warmer than the V7, S1, V8 combo I have in another Ibby.

I think of V1, V2 as more an early/mid 80's brown sound whereas V7, V8 is a bit more hair metal.

Shortcut to identifying your DiMarzio is to measure DC resistance, you should find a bridge 'bucker which matches that DCR fairly easily, you don't need to any dismantling, just flip the switch into bridge, make sure the volume and tone are up full, plug a patch lead in and measure across the other end.
destructor likes this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeryear74 View Post
Congratulations on the RG550! Looks like a great player guitar, worn in and ready to rock.
From the looks of the pickup bobbins, it's most likely a Dimarzio Tone Zone, but there are less popular models with the same bobbins.
If you want to know for sure, yes, you have to take off the strings, and then unscrew the pick guard, and just look at the underside of the bridge pickup.
You don't have to remove the pickup at all, just open the guitar up and take a look. It should either have a sticker, or a stamp into the under side of the pickup that tells you the model number.
From there just go to the Dimarzio site and see which model you have by matching the number (Tone Zone is DP 155).

As for the difference between the different V humbucker pickups (Ibanez version of the Dimarzio) they are made specifically for neck and bridge sounds, so they don't sound the same.
I usually always replace my stock V pickups in all the early RG models I have, usually with Dimarzios (My favorite is the Tone Zone or PAF Pro, but I have other models in other guitars so I can get different sounds from all of them). The V's don't sound all that bad, but you can get a wider variety of sounds by using different models of Dimarzios. More versatile.

Thank you guys!

I just do it what did you say and I have DP160 or how the google say it's Norton, not Air Norton, just Norton

This hum have a highier output than V1. Sound is ok, but I must try guitar on some serious amp because I'm currently using Boss Katana 100W and Line 6 Helix. When I say serious, I mean some valve beasts like Mesa, JCM900 etc.

Since I mostly play prog-rock music and instrumental music (D.Theater, Vai, J.S, Tony Macalpine...) maybe I'll sell this hum and buy some other Dimarzio or Dimarzios. Only thing that I hate about Dimarzios is a 1000000000 models!

But hey, for now I will enjoy in my first Ibanez and with such thin neck playing was never easier, guys, that is a great feeling. Who knows, maybe Norton is not such a bad solution at the end.

Cheers!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
I have V1, S1, V2 in mine and I really like the way they sound, they're warmer than the V7, S1, V8 combo I have in another Ibby.

I think of V1, V2 as more an early/mid 80's brown sound whereas V7, V8 is a bit more hair metal.

Shortcut to identifying your DiMarzio is to measure DC resistance, you should find a bridge 'bucker which matches that DCR fairly easily, you don't need to any dismantling, just flip the switch into bridge, make sure the volume and tone are up full, plug a patch lead in and measure across the other end.
Complete opposite comparison bro. The V7-V8s were designed in the 90s for that era of music, but they put the magnets in the wrong pickups. The V1-V2 were made in the 80s and match the 80s sound MUCH better with their warmth. Listen to Dokken or WASP from that era: rich, creamy tones. The V1/V2 set is VERY much a PAF-like pup designed for the 80s sounds, whereas the V7/V8 are designed for the more modern-ish sounds of the late 90s.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeryear74 View Post

The V1/V2 set is one of the best in house set of pups you'll find from ibanez imo. I think the only set that competes is the V5 set found on 84-85 Destroyers, or possibly the 90s quantam pups (The V1/V2 definitely sound better than the 90s quantams though).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Complete opposite comparison bro. The V7-V8s were designed in the 90s for that era of music, but they put the magnets in the wrong pickups. The V1-V2 were made in the 80s and match the 80s sound MUCH better with their warmth. Listen to Dokken or WASP from that era: rich, creamy tones. The V1/V2 set is VERY much a PAF-like pup designed for the 80s sounds, whereas the V7/V8 are designed for the more modern-ish sounds of the late 90s.
Are you kidding me? You just repeated exactly what I said and then told me to listen to music I started listening to 40 years ago!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me? You just repeated exactly what I said and then told me to listen to music I started listening to 40 years ago!
I didnt repeat anything. The V7/V8 were designed with 90s rock music in mind (they were released in the 90s you know), the V1/V2 with 80s metal. You said the V7/V8 were for mid/late 80s brown sound, which is NOT what I said.

You listened to 80s metal, I had it everywhere around me. I went to the same high school as EVH and Joey Vera, my mother was friends with Tony Cavazzo (so she knew Carlos also). My 80s DNA is quite a bit stronger than you assume.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I think of V1, V2 as more an early/mid 80's brown sound
Here is what I said. ^^^^^

For the hard of reading...

How did you get it completely the other way around in your brain Matias?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Here is what I said. ^^^^^

For the hard of reading...

How did you get it completely the other way around in your brain Matias?
And you completely ignored everything I said over one little point, meaning you didnt understand a thing I said.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
And you completely ignored everything I said over one little point, meaning you didnt understand a thing I said.
Hey, if I made a mistake I'd be the first to admit it because I'm a GROWNUP Matias.

I didn't make the mistake, you did.

Don't start throwing your toys out of the pram.

Tags
rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode