How Low Can You Go? - Downtuners? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

How Low Can You Go? - Downtuners?

What's the lowest you've tuned your guitar (6 or 7-string)? *I think I got it down to drop-D down to a low-B once with a set of Dean Markley Lights. *That was interesting. *I don't go much further than that though. *Right now I'm down a step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 09:50 PM

How Low Can You Go?

For my live guitar, a Talman electric with a Fishman piezo bridge, I have it tuned down to B using 13's. Been doing it this way for years now, also happens to be great on the voice. And I gig up to six nights a week when I'm in Europe, which is over a third of the year, sometimes even half.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 07:14 AM

How Low Can You Go?

A-tuning on a BCRich. Drop-A also, but B is the lowest I've had for a sustained period on a 6string.

As for the 7's, not really tuned them down yet, but might be tempted to go down half a step, even though I'm quite happy with it at the moment.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 09:34 AM

How Low Can You Go?

I have an old Yamaha MSG that I've dropped down to B a few times using a set of 0.011s. The strings felt a bit sloppy though as it has a Gibson scale length. I don't think I'd ever detune my Jem more than half a step. This kind of thing works best / easiest on hard tail guitars IMHO although I'm probably just lazy and can't be bothered adjusting floating trems etc.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 05:34 PM

How Low Can You Go?

I'll speak for Mike Mushok of Staind and say Ab. This is on a super-long scaled baritone mind you!!

As for me I use to tune to A but it was to low for me so now Im up at C.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:59 AM

How Low Can You Go?

I play an RG2027 7-string, and I tune (low to high)

Gb
Db
Ab
db
gb
bb
eb.

Pretty low, eh? Take THAT Mike Mushok, lol! :loco:

I tune all my guitars in dropped D, and down a half step, but I have two 7's, so I just drop the low string relative to the dropped D.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 10:23 PM
Banned

How Low Can You Go?

Wordwolf....What size elevator cables do you have on that monster to tune that way? Also, how much did you have to tweak the neck to get it set up with minimal buzz??
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 05:23 AM

How Low Can You Go?

I use Dean Markley Blue Steel strings, gauges .010 - .046, and I use a .059 gauge string for the low Gb (I've used a .056 gauge succesfully, too.) As far as tweaking, what can I say? The ONLY (slight) buzz I had was on the lowest string, frets 1-5 or so, and only discernable on the acoustic output of the 2027. I adjusted the truss rod MINIMALLY, and buh-bye. The buzz was gone. As far as action, my action is pretty darn low! Serious. I don't like high action (Slightly higher on the bass side, and lower on the treble strings, but overall, low.) And no buzz (Optimal word is NO buzz BTW.) I guess Ibanez just makes a good guitar... but then again, I have a Squier 7 strung identically, and the action is only a tad higher.
The only problem with this tuning I've found is that since the Gb is so low, the 25.5 scale isn't long enough to accomodate the proper intonation. Everything up to the 12th - 15th fret or so is ok, but it gets a little skewy after that. But, this is ONLY on the low Gb, and I never play notes up there on the lowest string anyway. Everything else intonates just fine, and the trem is at the correct angle, plays smoothly, etc. I plan on checking out a baritone scale neck (27") in the future to see how this affects intonation on the low string.
I've said before in other posts, I do play low, heavy riffs with my guitar. I'm an unashamed KoRn, nu-metal fan. But, the nifty thing is these real cool two finger major/minor baritone triads you can get with this tuning. And you can have full 7 string chords that just ring out... very piano-like.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 11:58 PM

i set one of my Dean Evo 7's to GCFBbEbgc with a set of ernie ball slinky 7 string set( 13 - 58 )
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Re: How Low Can You Go? - Downtuners?

Dark Wolf ... i tried a 65 guage bass string on my RG1077XL ... I tried to tune to F ... but it wouldn't intonate ... too sharp and my trem is maxxed out ... pegged all the way back.

how did you get down to Gb?

i have it back to G with a .059 guage d'addario string ... still a hair sharp. thoughts?
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:57 PM

I must be a g'ay, lowest I tune is drop D, and BEADGBE on my 7.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid
I must be a g'ay, lowest I tune is drop D, and BEADGBE on my 7.
it's all what you pay/how you play ... you can play striaght E and be heavy as hell.

i'm experimenting ... i didn't buy a baritone to tuen to B
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:16 PM

Reviews: 7

I used to have a baritone 7 ESP, Stephen carpenter's model. I had it tuned an octave down from standard with 12-70's once. I would still have that guitar and it would still be in that tuning if it weren't for the people in my band being to cheap too get instruments that could go that low lol. Also a huge KoRn fan, but anything beyond the first three albums isn't KoRn! Those first three albums though have special meaning for me, if it weren't for my brother I would never have listened to them.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:44 PM

back in '91 a band we played with often bought 7s ... that was huge back then. but the sound didn't take off until korn, i only liked their first album actually.

i now face the same problem ... my brother/bass player doesn't want to play a 5 string and my other guitar player plays a flying V ... 24.75 scale ... forget it!

i actually found a cool way to tune though ... but my guitar doesn't cooperate.

tune the first 6 to D, the drop the 6 to C ... then i wanted the 7th to go to F (but it won't intonate).

this will let everyone play in drop C which is heavy and plenty cool and doable on a regular guitar ... but I just get the perks of going down lower.

this should work out.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:35 PM

Holy resurrection, Batman! This thread is over 4 years old!

Tags
dean evo , dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , ernie ball , floating trems , guage strings , markley blue steel , mike mushok , piezo bridge , steel strings , stephen carpenter , trem arm , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode