How low is your RG's action? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

How low is your RG's action?

Hi I'm just wondering how low can I get my RG's action to without having fret buzz? Should I live with fret buzz?

Does a Japanese made rg prestige have lesser fret buzz with low action right out of the box as compared to my Indonesian made one?

My action is currently at 1.6mm thereabouts on the low E and it's buzzing on the lower strings on the upper frets.

I just need to know if I have to live with it? I have brought it down to my local luthier for a 'setup' but it comes back the same.

I'm using an RG 350 DXZ.

If I'm to get a fixed bridge RG can I expect a lower action without the fret buzz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 AM

Re: How low is your RG's action?

Which fret is it at 1.6mm?

My 350EXZ(same model only black) has one problem that I'm still trying to figure out: 1st string, 1st fret gets buzz unless I get the action up higher than I like it. My prestiges have fairly low action and yes, they have some buzz, but it doesnt come out through the amp with high gain so it's not a big deal.

And yes, if you want insane low action, there WILL be buzz, it's how much are you willing to deal with and as long as it doesn't effect your sound from your amp, then it doesn't really matter.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Action is all relative to each individual guitar, especially if you're trying to get it as low as possible. It's completely dependent on how level the frets are and the relief of the neck. If you have a light touch it's possible to get a guitar with perfectly level frets set up as low as yours without buzzing.

Without knowing the condition of your frets, it's impossible to say how low your action can get.

As far as the bridge goes, it doesn't matter...
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 PM

Reviews: 1

What MT and Swirl said ^^^
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 09:35 PM

Not that I'm throwing stones here; but I don't understand the desire for 'crazy low' action.
My boyfriend's Strat is set up so low you can almost blow on the strings and get them to fret.
Feels sloppy and sounds 'thin' to me, and those that know me on here know I have small, fairly weak hands and I prefer 2mm on the bass side at the 24th fret, and about 1.6 on the treble side. My old RG 550 with pretty worn frets is about 2.5 and 1.8 to keep the buzzing down, but it's still very playable, even though that may seem 'high' to some players.
But to answer your question...
What Matias and Swirltop said.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
Not that I'm throwing stones here; but I don't understand the desire for 'crazy low' action.
from some friends I know, they crazy about super low action due to sweep picking, minimize noise when tapping and easier to run fast across the board.
but I also found that their picking attack was super soft.
you know.. they kinda player who uses neck pickup to do solo with super hi gain distortion, so when they sweep or fast running, it sounds like.... very fluid, but no dynamic.

on the other hand, shred is also my game, but I don't do super low action, as my picking attack won't allow that.
and I prefer every note I pick is clear and dynamic, no matter when I hit the wrong notes, it also clearly be heard.
so my action would be 2.00mm at 12th fret on bass side.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
My boyfriend's Strat is set up so low you can almost blow on the strings and get them to fret.
Feels sloppy and sounds 'thin' to me, and those that know me on here know I have small, fairly weak hands and I prefer 2mm on the bass side at the 24th fret, and about 1.6 on the treble side. My old RG 550 with pretty worn frets is about 2.5 and 1.8 to keep the buzzing down, but it's still very playable, even though that may seem 'high' to some players.
But to answer your question...
What Matias and Swirltop said.
I personally don't have super-low action either. I've bought a couple used RGs and one of the first things I did was raise the action. I like the strings to have a bit of bounce in them, so to speak.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer3d View Post
I personally don't have super-low action either. I've bought a couple used RGs and one of the first things I did was raise the action. I like the strings to have a bit of bounce in them, so to speak.
Exactly. I like some room for dynamics.
With the low action it seems with the strings buzzing on so many frets, it kills the dynamics of the note. If I pick hard or soft, it seems to sound the same: buzzy and thin.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 PM

if it means anything, I have an RG570 setup in D standard tuning (1 step down) with 10-46 and it is 1.6mm on the low E side and 1.5mm on the high E side at the 24th fret. The relief is almost exactly 0.20mm at the 9th fret while using a capo on the 1st fret and holding down the 24th fret (using a feel gauge).

There is very LITTLE buzz, though it's relative toward your pick attack. I would say I have a medium pick attack, so definitely not super light but not hard by any means.

It's really hard to talk about "buzz" though because I've literally played peoples guitars that were DISGUSTINGLY LOW, and literally BUZZED everyWHERE! but they were like "there is NO BUZZ what are you talking about!!!"

I noticed everyone perceives the noise different and some people are more anal than others (I'm very anal and can hear even 1 string bouncing off 1 fret creating buzz)

Last edited by abstract_noise; 04-28-2014 at 12:03 AM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Exactly. I like some room for dynamics.
With the low action it seems with the strings buzzing on so many frets, it kills the dynamics of the note. If I pick hard or soft, it seems to sound the same: buzzy and thin.
I agree. And if I try and do hammer ons and pulloffs, if the strings are too low, I can't get any attack in there. Whether it be soft or heavy, there is enough space for it to sound different with higher action.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:32 PM

Fret buzz? You need to crank that amp up... it will go away!

I can live with a little... Low enough for playability, but not so low that it makes it hard to do big bends without the next string bouncing down off your fingertip and fretting a note. So if I control my pick hand it is clean, but if I get heavy handed they buzz a bit. I think my guitar is still changing to the KS climate too. Once it settles in I will tweak it, but for now it is about 1.8mm on the low E and 1.6 on the high E.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM

You may need to get the frets dressed. By ensuring that all the frets have the same height you can lower the action further with out getting buzz.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:25 PM

Reviews: 1

Mine isn't super low if compared to some metal buddies guitars but compared to my jazzer and blues buddies and their Archtops and Teles well in that case yeah it's pretty low
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:36 AM

My 1995 RG 550 LTD is about 2 mm on the low E and 1.8 on the high E at the 24th fret.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 12:21 AM

all my guitars have different action. my 540r is setup really, really low - with no buzz my rg350 is a little higher with buzz and my rg370 is a little lower than the 350..

I think it makes things interesting.. no 2 guitars are exactly alike. I don't mind some buzz as long as its not audible through the amp. I just adjusted the truss rod on my rg350 as well to work with the action

Tags
action , low action , rg 350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode