how to maintain your guitars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
how to maintain your guitars?

Hi guys

My guitar teacher told me a few years ago that I should loosen all the string while I am not playing. So neck will keep straight. Is it true?
As you know, tuning with tremolo from scratch is time consuming. So I prefer just leave it like that in the case. But if it is really necessary, I don’t have a choice. Please let me know about how you maintain your guitars.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:49 PM

I think your guitar teacher is insane.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Yeah…may be. I have this doubt for many years.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 11:56 PM

If you plan to store the guitar for abou 50 years . . . loosen the strings AND the truss rod . . . really just to be safe but even in this situation you can really leave things just as they are.

But day to day storage . . . no, never. Keep it up to pitch, the strings and the truss rod strike a balance that's keeps the neck (more or less) right where it should be and keeping tension on the neck in this situation is a GOOD thing and WILL NOT damage or warp the neck.

Climate changes have more effect on this, and RG 500(+) owners with Wizard necks are painfully aware of this as we have to usually adjust the truss rod(s) come spring and fall.

But no matter what, if you're playing the guitar just leave it tuned, it'll be fine. :-)

Mic

Tags
truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode