how much for a '91 RG570 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: México
Posts: 121
Question how much for a '91 RG570

Someone is offering me an old RG570 for the serial I know is 1991, for about $230, before asking if it's a good deal I'll try to describe the guitar first

What I liked:

- Cosmetically is in players condition, a few scratches wich really doesn't worry me, the wood of the body is in good condition no dents or serious hits, at least I didn't noticed while I inspected it

- The neck is good too, it feels very good (it feels more thin than my 2008 RG1570), the frets are I good condition (no too worn), the action was low and wasn't any fret buzz, it sounded clean in all frets

What I didn't like:

- The nut was rusted and one of the presure pads was replaced
- It doesn't have a tremolo arm (the owner lost it)

But the major thing that it's keeping me is the bridge (edge bridge)... it looks good and appears to work too... but I don't really know how to inspect it, I used it and abused it to see if it was working, It didn't keep the tuning to well, but the hing is that guitar had very old and rusty strings, and the trem angle wasn't set well... so it think the only way to see if it works good is to do a setup first :s

So my questions are...

It's a 20 year old guitar... is it safe to buy a guitar this old? old trems like this are reliable? what are the thing that I have the check about the edge to know if its good?

I've seen some guys posting about old Ibby's that they get in pawn shops (where surely the guitar is not in a good setup most of the time), how do you figure it out that the guitar was a good buy?

Please, give some advice
rub_800 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

Good price!
The pressure pads are cheap and easy to find.

You might want to post this in the correct section, though--these are not Prestige guitars or J Customs.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:43 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 977
Reviews: 15
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

I agree with Alaska on this one. The edge is awesome despite it's age. Short of some inexpensive maintenance type parts and a proper setup I'd say it's a good score. And at that price refinishing might not be out of the question either.
silverctr is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: México
Posts: 121
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
I agree with Alaska on this one. The edge is awesome despite it's age. Short of some inexpensive maintenance type parts and a proper setup I'd say it's a good score. And at that price refinishing might not be out of the question either.
So there is virtually no risk of old worn out parts? knife edges? studs? armholder?
I ask just because I want to be careful and don't want to buy it and then looking for replacement parts that are hard to find (here in Mexico)


Sorry If I posted in the wrong forum... I hope one of the moderators could move it to the correct forum, in my defense, to my understanding an old 570 is the equivalent of the 1570 of today, wich is a Prestige guitar :s
rub_800 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:49 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub_800 View Post
So there is virtually no risk of old worn out parts? knife edges? studs? armholder?
I ask just because I want to be careful and don't want to buy it and then looking for replacement parts that are hard to find (here in Mexico)


Sorry If I posted in the wrong forum... I hope one of the moderators could move it to the correct forum, in my defense, to my understanding an old 570 is the equivalent of the 1570 of today, wich is a Prestige guitar :s
But it;s not a 1570--it's an old, pre-prestige 570.

You'll have to look at the knife edges, etc to check for condition.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: México
Posts: 121
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
But it;s not a 1570--it's an old, pre-prestige 570.

You'll have to look at the knife edges, etc to check for condition.
Thanks... that's the problem, I don't have very much experiencie inspectioning bridges... you mentioned knife edges... what else I need to check?

Is there some page, article or anything with advice about this things?
rub_800 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:01 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub_800 View Post
Thanks... that's the problem, I don't have very much experiencie inspectioning bridges... you mentioned knife edges... what else I need to check?

Is there some page, article or anything with advice about this things?
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:26 AM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

This guitar sounds to me to be a great buy. Since you have to buy a new bar for the trem anyway, you'll be getting new bushings included with it. The only other parts that wear on these are the knife edges and the string locks. The knife edges are easily renewed, if needed, with simple hand tools. The string locks can be found cheaply all over the net, although I seriously doubt you'll need them if they're able to hold the old useless strings now.
As AB said; the pressure pads are cheap, widely available, and very easy to replace when needed. I also doubt that you will need to replace these. I'm sure the tuning instability you experienced was caused by the old strings.

Make sure the electronics are functional (although electronics are also an easy, fast fix), put some new strings on it and enjoy a killer guitar that you bought for an incredible price.
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 7,004
Reviews: 1
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub_800 View Post


Sorry If I posted in the wrong forum... I hope one of the moderators could move it to the correct forum,
Easy mistake to make, no apologies necessary, thread moved
jono is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: México
Posts: 121
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
This guitar sounds to me to be a great buy. Since you have to buy a new bar for the trem anyway, you'll be getting new bushings included with it. The only other parts that wear on these are the knife edges and the string locks. The knife edges are easily renewed, if needed, with simple hand tools. The string locks can be found cheaply all over the net, although I seriously doubt you'll need them if they're able to hold the old useless strings now.
As AB said; the pressure pads are cheap, widely available, and very easy to replace when needed. I also doubt that you will need to replace these. I'm sure the tuning instability you experienced was caused by the old strings.

Make sure the electronics are functional (although electronics are also an easy, fast fix), put some new strings on it and enjoy a killer guitar that you bought for an incredible price.
Thanks for your advice bro, I'm feeling more tempted to buy it now..

In fact I have a pair of nuts that I bougth some time ago for replacement for my S40 (wich I think it's the same part)

One more question... what about the studs? Is there any risk of this piece to worn out? Is there a way of check it without taking the bridge away?
rub_800 is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SWFL
Posts: 623
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

Tuning instability could also be a loose trem anchor. I've seen it on two old RG's from criagslist. One was rocking back and forth and the other was pulling up out of the body. You can't really tell if it's an issue without pulling the trem off, since it not only blocks visibility but the string tension holds it in one place. Once it's off (first make sure he had the set screws tight inside the studs), you can pull up and back on the studs with some pliers to see if they move, it takes a lot of force. . Easy fix with superglue or wood glue, which is covered in the Ibanezrules tech section. Even with this issue I would buy a 500 series for $230 any day.

The pressure pads could be loose too.

Edit: and remember when looking at Edge knife edges that the one on the bass side is flat and the treble side is curved by design, not worn.

Last edited by axel_f; 07-21-2012 at 10:37 PM.
axel_f is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 01:52 AM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub_800 View Post
Thanks for your advice bro, I'm feeling more tempted to buy it now..

In fact I have a pair of nuts that I bougth some time ago for replacement for my S40 (wich I think it's the same part)

One more question... what about the studs? Is there any risk of this piece to worn out? Is there a way of check it without taking the bridge away?
Nah, the studs aren't something to really worry about.......unless the previous owner was a gorilla..... They're pretty hard to damage. The only one I've ever seen damaged was obvious to see. A previous owner tried to tighten it with the lock's set.......the top of the head was missing a large piece. You can see it broken here:




As Axel noted; it's very possible for the inserts to be loose in the body (the metal part that the stud screws into in my picture above). If they are, it's a VERY simple fix that we can get you through in no time!!!
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: México
Posts: 121
Re: how much for a '91 RG570

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f View Post
Tuning instability could also be a loose trem anchor. I've seen it on two old RG's from criagslist. One was rocking back and forth and the other was pulling up out of the body. You can't really tell if it's an issue without pulling the trem off, since it not only blocks visibility but the string tension holds it in one place. Once it's off (first make sure he had the set screws tight inside the studs), you can pull up and back on the studs with some pliers to see if they move, it takes a lot of force. . Easy fix with superglue or wood glue, which is covered in the Ibanezrules tech section. Even with this issue I would buy a 500 series for $230 any day.

The pressure pads could be loose too.

Edit: and remember when looking at Edge knife edges that the one on the bass side is flat and the treble side is curved by design, not worn.
Thanks... that's what I tried to mean but I didn't said the name of the part correctly... the stud inserts being loose inside the wood, and it looks that I was rigth... to only way to know is to remove the trem... but given the fact that this issue is an easy fix I feel more relieved

So everything points out that this is going to be a good offer after all... thanks for the advice Axel and RGTFanatic

I'll let you know how it turns out... if there is anything else I need to check I'll apreciate the advice
rub_800 is offline  
Reply

Tags
rg570 ibanez old

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS/FT RG570 MIJ ryu Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 3 08-19-2010 01:11 PM
FS: RG570 $400 Darin Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 12-01-2008 08:29 PM
My RG570 cjl5150 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 1 11-24-2008 01:45 AM
WTB: RG570 AANJ or RG570 body or Wizard AANJ waylay00 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 08-06-2006 02:27 AM
RG570?? Need help please! IbanezGirl All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 25 07-09-2006 12:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome