How much difference does body shape really make ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

How much difference does body shape really make ?

If all other things are equal, neck, bridge, pickups, wood used...how much difference would the actual body shape make to the sound of a guitar ?

ie. strat vs. tele vs. les paul vs. pointy metal guitar etc

I'm trying to decide what sort of shape to go for when I get a custom guitar built...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

oops, no ida how I managed to post in this forum...I wasn't in here when I hit post

Can someone move this to the "Other non-ibanez..." area pls

Sorry
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 06:23 PM

Good question. I think that the body shape MUST be comfortable. I personally like the RG/JEM style bodies, but I also enjoy playing guitars like the N4s, which have smaller bodies. Thicker bodies (or with more wood mass) may have more sustain and fatter sound, but not always. Brian Moore guitars, for example, have very very thin and light bodies, but also have that HUGE sound. If you're really considering having a custom guitar built, I'd choose a Strat/RG/Soloist or similar guitar body with a very light wood such as Basswood or even Alder.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:12 PM

I remember reading something in a Tom Anderson catalog to the effect that it does make a significant difference (i.e., tele sounds more scooped in the mids than a strat, all else being equal).
Greg
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 01:35 AM

teles sound more scooped because of the bridge design, not the body mass ), if you take a hardtail strat, or one of the rare tele strat mongrels you cant tell the difference
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 05:35 AM

I think that the choice of bridge, neck and body material are the main influences on tone. but body-shape? I donīt think itīs noticable if all other things are the same. your brain might play tricks on you while trying out guitars with different designs though, making a pointy axe feel and sound better suited for metal than a normal strat-shape, simply because the general design will make you want to play metal on a pointy axe and blues (or whatever) on a strat.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Mmmm, interesting subject eh

So it seems that the main sound-changer in terms of hardware would possibly be the bridge then. That kinda takes it out of my control, which makes things easier, as I'm going for a fixed bridge with fine tuners. There are only a couple of choices available!

I think I'm going to be torn on the body shape right up until I place the order, and then it will probably be a flip-a-coin job. (or I'll go for a standard shape because it's cheaper ) As for wood, gotta be mahogany. Always nice to have a good chunk of quality wood in your hands

I totally agree on the comfort issue though, and will most definitely be having the body forearm-contoured. That's one problem I have with Les Pauls, the edge of the guitar just digs into your forearm. Hmm, I wonder what a contoured Les Paul would look like...?

Tags
body shape , brian moore , custom guitar , fixed bridge , guitar body , les paul , les pauls , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode