How much Ibanez do i need? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

How much Ibanez do i need?

Hey Guys,

First time poster but been lurking for awhile

A few months back i picked up my first ibanez, a RG350dx for a steal of a price but the number of guitars vs available cash balance was unfavorable so i sold it a few days later for what i paid. In short, that guitar blew me away. Played better than quite a few "top shelf" guitars i've owned, I'm embarrassed to say - and i know with a pickup swap the sound would have been all there too.

Anyway, times have changed and gas has struck again and i think i need another ibanez. I missed a real floral JEM (didn't get to ask exactly which model, but white w/monkey grip, gold hw, vine of life) for $850 locally. I know i will never find another and i've been kicking myself.

I'm no shredder by any means, i tend to play all over the general rock and my band is in the vein of Sublime - Brad played an S470. Pickup changes are no big deal. My issue is that we no longer have a local ibanez dealer and so if i get one, it will probably have to be ordered.

I came to the J.Cust/Prestige because of the obvious quality associated with the MIJ's. A few years back i got to play a RG770 RI and that thing killed. I'm leaning towards a HSH. The 770 or 550 20th would probably be at the top of my list, but after having played the 350 and not having to much to compare with, I'm curious how high a level i should go with. Is the 770 going to cut it? Are there other models that i should look in to? If you guys thought it was really worth the jump, i could make myself save to jump in to JEM/UV territory also.

I should mention that i really am not so much in to the shredder looking guitar thing. Part of why The 770/550 is up there, i think it looks AND plays incredible.

Amps will be: Orange AD30HTC, Fender Supersonic 60, Framus Ruby Riot I Through orange and Fender Cabs.

Apologies for the novel, and thanks for any input!

-GL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: How much Ibanez do i need?

Dont kill me, if im wrong, but i dont think there is a white floral JEM out there..! It was propably a JEM777WH and if it was and the price was 850$, you should continue kicking yourself! )
There is not really difference between the RG770 and the RG550. If they are older versions, the RG770 will have propably a Lo-Pro Edge floating bridge, while the RG550 will come with an original Edge bridge. Look up, what are the differences, but the Lo-Pro Edge will be more comfy in my opinion. The other differences will be optical only. Same neck, same playability, same body, (depending on pickups) same tone! Both and any other MIJ Ibanez from RG-420 will be a lot nicer feeling in your hands and providing better sound than the RG350! Its experience of mine, most people will agree with me. So if you liked the RG350, dont hesitate much, rip a MIJ from ebay, or elsewhere!!
Before you go for the Prestige series, get 1 of these, coz: Lower end Prestige ones (1550,1570,2550,2570, etc) wont give you more satisfaction the those MIJ´s we have been discussing about. They´ll have the same tone (if not worse with the fukkin Ibz/Dimarzio pups) and playability, but you´ll pay more.. They are a bit more shiny, but personally i prefer nowdays the ones with a bit vintage looks. If you go to higher Prestige and J-Customs, they have mostly mahogany, or rarely ash bodies, they´ll give you a different tone caracter, than basswood. Dont jump there yet, if you are not sure, you like the mahogany tone, or not! They are very expensive, so if you are into basswood sound, there is no point spend your money on them..
Welcome on the forum and good luck choosing the right baby! Hope the answere helped!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Reviews: 10

Bummer you missed out on the Jem for $850 - that sounds like a good deal.

not sure where to start here but I guess the few bits of advice that I can offer would be:

1) regarding how much you need and how high level you should go, I would say that the biggest differences with the high end Ibanez models are the neck, the bridge and the pickups...the pickups you can change but the bridge is trickier and more costly to change - but if you don't use the trem much then you would probably be fine with a less expensive model and you could replace the pups. If the trem is important to you then it may be worth considering a higher end model. Then you need to see which trem you like better cuz the Edge Zero is quite different from the original Edge...and some people like the Lo-Pro bridges while others don't like them and swear by the original Edge trems. With all that said, I think the most important thing for you to consider is the neck because that is the part of the guitar that you will connect with the most intimately so the neck needs to feel good to you, which leads to my next point...

2) I would try not to order a guitar without trying it first - you are inviting problems. If you have no choice then so be it but I think it is important to hold a guitar and see how it feels and see if you connect with the neck before you shell out hard earned money for it. I ordered a guitar once before trying it and I wish I hadn't - it is a nice guitar but the neck didn't feel quite the way I thought it would. I think it is REALLY important to be able to try the neck first. You could try a high end Ibanez and a cheaper model but at the end of the day you may end up connecting better with the neck on the less expensive model. Go with what feels better and you can work with that (change pups, etc.)

3) be patient and keep watching for good deals on used Ibanez guitars - you will get way better bang for your buck. I bought a used RG520 last year for $350 and I like that guitar better (feels much nicer) than my RG2550 that I bought new for almost $1,000. There are good deals out there to be had - especially with the economy the way it is in the US.

the other poster has made some good points too - lots for you to consider...but imho the neck is the first and most important consideration cuz you can change some of the other stuff to your liking but if the neck isn;'t right for you then you are going to be looking for something else before long....

not sure if I really answered your questions but I hope that helps...good luck
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Yeah... it was the 777WH... I just did a google...

Hey it was missing the case ( i think) which i'll just keep telling myself would definitely take $1000 off the value

Thanks for the info on the high end stuff. I've found over the years that i just don't jive with Mahogany and i was really impressed with the basswood of the 350. I can only imagine what the improvements could be like

Is there any reason to go for a reissue over an original? It looks like depending on condition the RI and original can be had for right around the same price, and i'd just as soon have a beat one so i don't get guilty actually playing the darn thing!

Doriangrey - That's what i needed to hear. I think i'll just keep chugging along on the local CL and hope something else good pops up. Even with the return policies its still a hassle to get a guitar back to somewhere like MF. I do not use trem and will probably block it. i do like somewhere to rest my palm, so i think that caters to the less lo-pro and more to the original edge?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJazz View Post
Thanks!

Yeah... it was the 777WH... I just did a google...
no such thing as a 777wh .... O.o

7vwh???
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
no such thing as a 777wh .... O.o

7vwh???

That's just 'cuz its super-ultra rare...

Or I'm just typing impaired
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJazz View Post
That's just 'cuz its super-ultra rare...

Or I'm just typing impaired
I just noticed you lived near me Anyway, I was just informing you so you wouldnt get conned into something that so many people do. (It happens!). I figured as much from your descriptions.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

If it was $850, I'll bet it was a Chibanez...

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Linux- Right on! I see too few forum guys from our neck of the woods.

Thanks alaska, It's definitely a possibility and in the least I'll ad that to the list of excuses
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
If it was $850, I'll bet it was a Chibanez...
I would normally agree, 850 may be a bit much for a chibi, but who knows. I consider 800 to be the borderline price between the real deal and chibanez.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 PM

how much ibanez do we need?
the answer is : never enough.

based on my personal experience, I'd suggest you to stick with the old RG 5X0/7X0.
I once did the same thing, tell my self to save up a little bit by buying low end Japanese RG 250 and upgrade it with Dimarzios, I thought it would be no different with higher end RG 5xx/7xx ( well at least my pride told me so..), but I was wrong..
once I had my hands on my friend's RG 550 LTD, i knew..my ****ty 250 is nothing compare to this one.
I end up sold my 250 for super low price and add more money to get my very first MIJ RG 520 QS...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 11:39 PM

About a year ago, I had a lapse of judgement and tried to sell my RG1527. I'm glad I didn't. Anyway, I had a guy from craigslist offer me a straight up trade for what was supposed to be a Jem 7vwh. After corresponding with him for about a week, I FINALLY got him to send me some pics, and it wasn't right. Wrong trem for the production date ('07 according to the serial number) and not enough screws in the pickguard. I'm sure it had some other things that were off. He said that he had traded some other gear for it. One forum member on here actually bought one off the bay with the same serial number as the one the guy locally had. So, beware if you see a Jem for a super low price. It's either a beat up piece of JUNK, or it's chibanez JUNK.

To answer the OP question. You need as much Ibanez as you can get. If you can swing a 770DX, by all means do it. After you do, you'll never look at your 350DX the same. You'll be a high-end/Japanese Ibby snob like the rest of us.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 AM

"My issue is that we no longer have a local ibanez dealer and so if i get one, it will probably have to be ordered."

Although I was somewhat hesitate to order online, my local GC really did not have anything close to what I wanted. So I ordered my Prestige online from GC and got a very nice Ibby from them, an RG1550M Poisoned Pumpkin.

I thought it was cool to get a guitar that hardly anyone had every played, and it came with the Team J. Craft tag and Ibanez inspection card with the names of about 4 different inspectors on it! lol
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:39 PM

i dunno dude i buy way too many guitars (mostly gibsons) and i got my hands on my first ibanez prestige 2610 (emg 81) j craft guitar yesterday and i will never go back to anything else. i can honestly say that after 1 day of playing it. best guitar i've ever owned and 2nd place isn't even close.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 04:20 PM

Reviews: 2

Hey GL..... I'm a little late, but welcome to Jemsite.

If your serious about ordering something in the Prestige price range, I would SERIOUSLY consider the Jem 505. http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-JEM505

After having a good look at it, I would call Rich at www.Ibanezrules.com and talk with him about purchasing it. There's just no other place in the states to buy a higher end Ibby. I think you'll find his price to be VERY GOOD as well!!!

Tags
first ibanez , rg770

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode