How much my guitar worth? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

How much my guitar worth?

I have a Tony Iommi Gibson SG that I got as a Christmas present about 2 years ago. I played it for about 6 months and now it just sits in my closet because I like playing my Jem a lot better. It's in very good condition. The only "flaw" is that there is a hole in the back of the guitar where the strap knob used to be, but it was in an odd place (on the back of the horn) so I had it moved to where it's supposed to be (in the middle of the guitar below where the neck is connected). How much do you think it's worth? I don't think it's made anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:40 PM

Re: How much my guitar worth?

Im not sure what it's worth with the extra hole in it, but IF you are interested in trading for an Eric Johnson strat shoot me a PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Does the extra hole really make a difference?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman13 View Post
Does the extra hole really make a difference?
It doesnt affect anything, but most people don't care for any changes to a guitar, especially anything that can't be undone. Also it's a signature GIbson so the extra hole probably killed it for anyone who would want it for a collectors piece.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Another Strap knob could just be put there.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 08:05 PM

Talking Re: How much my guitar worth?

Quote:
Another Strap knob could just be put there.
The hole is probably indeed a problem for a collector, but your solution would be an elegant compromise. "This guitar features 2 strap knobs! The guitar features a strap knob at both Tony's preferred spot as well as at the conventional spot", etc

Regards,

D.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

It was in such a stupid place to begin with. It would poke into your stomach and it made the guitar very top heavy. I know SGs are top heavy, but having the strap knob where it was made it worse. But anyway, how much is it worth?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Lightbulb Re: How much my guitar worth?

Hi,

If it's the Gibson Custom Shop SG Tonni Iommi Signature model that you own, your guitar sold new at around anywhere between the $4000 and 5000$ US.

Now you must make up your mind and set a price for it. How much do you want for it? (Not that I'm interested, I'm strictly whammy axes)

Regards,

D.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 10:14 AM

Nice guitar!

Regards

Andrť

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:14 PM
dex

Best way to find out is to take several good pics and stick it on evilbay with silly reserve - say $10,000 and that way you'll see what people are prepared to pay.
If you like what you get - offer it to the highest bidder, if you don't just hold on to it and evilbay will refund your $ as the guitar didn't reach reserve and didn't sell.

Something else you could do is find a Gibson or a Black Sabbath forum and ask there.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

evilbay doesn't refund the reserve unless you sell the item
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
Hi,

If it's the Gibson Custom Shop SG Tonni Iommi Signature model that you own, your guitar sold new at around anywhere between the $4000 and 5000$ US.

Now you must make up your mind and set a price for it. How much do you want for it? (Not that I'm interested, I'm strictly whammy axes)
It's not a custom shop model. The CS models were made with a fully inlaid neck with large crosses:

This is probably worth a bit more than a regular standard, but is definitely nowhere near the value of a CS model.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
evilbay doesn't refund the reserve unless you sell the item
yep, and they can charge you up to $50 max too, or 1% of the reserve price, which ever is less.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 11:59 AM

Reviews: 18

Post a picture of the back of the guitar plz.

If you simply took the strap button off the original location and placed it elsewhere, that shouldn't be a problem.

I would get an original replacement button and put it back in the original spot and leave the one you moved to the new location in there as well.

As long as there's no hole visible and the strap button works the way it was intended, I doubt it would represent a problem to anyone who would be interested in purchasing it.

Jimmy

Tags
custom shop , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , gibson custom shop , strap button , tony iommi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode