How much is my MIJ RT650 worth? (lots of pics) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

How much is my MIJ RT650 worth? (lots of pics)

Hi,

I have had this guitar for about 17 or 18 years after purchasing it new in 92 or 93 (or whenever they came out, I don't remember).

I have kept this guitar in good condition and it has no flaws other than what is shown in the pictures.

Everything is stock with the following exceptions:

1) Part of the finish chipped off one day when the bolt holding the strap lock came out (see pic). That was a scary day! Good thing I had my hand on the neck at the time and was able to catch it.

2) The strap holders were replaced with strap locks

3) A little piece (don't know the name) was added to the head to hold the E and B strings down because sometimes the E would slip out of the nut and get stuck on the edge of the neck. I have seen some other RTs with this modification so perhaps this was a common problem with RTs.

The pickups are all stock. I don't know anything about pickups so I don't know what they are I'm hoping to learn more on this site.

I'm curious what it's worth because I am (hypothetically) tossing around the idea of selling it. As I said, I got this guitar years ago when I was sort of a beginner. Over time, I got to the point where I play metal 95% of the time and while this guitar is awesome and plays well, I could use something with slightly lower action and a thinner neck. When I get the action as low as I would ideally like it on this guitar, the strings start to buzz a little. I know it's not designed for shredding. However, I haven't been able to find something in my price range that plays better, but that will be another topic.

Without further ado, here are the pics. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Guitar in case:

Closeup of body:

Butt:

Back:

Push/pull tone pot turns humbuckers into single coils:

(hit picture limit, continued in next post)

Last edited by ironfistx; 03-15-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: How much is my MIJ RT650 worth? (lots of pics)

Pics continued:

Head (see the piece that was added to hold the E string down):

Reverse of head (I blurred out the serial number cuz I wasn't sure if that is something you're supposed to post or not):

Made in Japan!

Damage from when the strap bolt slid out

Wear at the top of the neck on the fretboard (between the G and B strings):

I'm just curious what a ballpark figure would be if I decided to sell it or trade it in.

Thanks.

Last edited by ironfistx; 03-14-2012 at 10:38 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 PM

Reviews: 2

I really don't know what RT's are fetching anymore, but I could easily see yours selling in the $450-500 range. I'm sure others will chime in with more accurate estimates though.

Side note: I personally would be hesitant to sell it. You might be hard pressed to find another in the future.....especially in that good of condition.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 04:14 AM

I agree, This is the kind of guitar you should'nt sell. Very nice!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM

couple things stick out.... is the nut original? why is there a string tree? i thought with locking tuners there was not a need for a tree?

nice guitar by the way....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottop1972 View Post
couple things stick out.... is the nut original? why is there a string tree? i thought with locking tuners there was not a need for a tree?

nice guitar by the way....
Yes, the nut is original. Everything is original except the strap locks.

The tree was needed because sometimes the high E string would pop out and get stuck on the side of the nut. I've seen other RT's with string trees added so I assume this was a common issue. The string hasn't popped out in 19 years since the tree was added.

Oh, I have the tremelo bar, too, even though it's not pictured. I barely ever used it so I just keep it in the case.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM

Nice guitar. You're not supposed to blur out the serial number.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 PM

I sold mine a couple of years ago in the same condition for $400.

Tags
rt650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode