How much will you pay? - for making your guitar from warmoth - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

How much will you pay? - for making your guitar from warmoth

Hello... *:-)

I am thinking to ask someone to make my custom guitar from warmoth's body and neck. *I'd like to know what is the price range for labor cost that I should go for (just labor cost only: compose body, neck, electronics, hardware, and set up. *no finish job).

Thanks a lot in advance.. *:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 09:20 PM

How much will you pay?

I've got a Warmoth guitar I built around 12 or 13 years ago. It's very near and dear to me. It's worth more to me then all my guitars combined, I'd be crushed if anything ever happened to it.

Sorry about the tangent.

I spent quite a while getting it to play the way I want (Bobby O might be able to comment on it, he seemed to really enjoy it) but this is essentially what I ended up doing.

Routing out the neck pocket to lower the fingerboard to almost flush with the body.

Recess routing the bridge into the body (it's a fixed Schaller w/ fine tuners, not a trem) to lower the string height to the body.

Wilkinson roller nut and string tree.

Sperzel locking tuners.

Hipshot D-tuner on the low E.

It's an Alder body with a Eastern Birdseye Maple neck with a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard. I just stained and Tung oiled it. It's very raw and VERY loud acousticly.

As for what I'd pay for all that, I'm not sure. Probably in the neighborhood of $4-500 I guess (not including finish).

It was quite a lot of hours.

It's a wonderful guitar. Still my favorite.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 10:59 PM

How much will you pay?

Jeffrey, cool to hear about your project, and how much you like it...that's encouraging! *Is yours a strat? *Please post pics if you can.

I've been contemplating doing a nice tele with an oil rubbed natural Ash body and neck (rosewood board)...either that or a nice maple topped strat with nice playable neck.

Actually I have most of the parts for a preliminary tele project: ebay body (tobacco burst) & neck (maple on maple), Fender pups & bridge, no-name tuners...just need to order the pots, knobs, etc. and put it together. *I'd like to try oiling the neck but not sure...I might get a can of vintage tint spray and see how that works. *All in all I'll have only about $200 in it, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays. *If this works, I may venture into spending a bit more $$ on Warmoth stuff and put together somthing nicer.
Greg
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 12:51 AM

How much will you pay?

I think I have pics somewhere. If I don't I'll take some.

It's not pretty anymore. It's all worn and beaten, but it still sounds amazing.

It's a strat style, yes.

Tags
alder body , birdseye maple neck , custom guitar , locking tuners , maple neck , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , strat style , string tree , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode