How much is it worth? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
How much is it worth?

Right, so I am getting sick of the unstable bridges on my Korean RG's and have finally decided it's time to get something a little more high-endy.

To fund it, I am thinking about selling my frankenstein of a RR. It has the body of a Jackson RX10D (not sure what wood.. it's either alder or basswood). Mighty mite maple neck w/ rosewood board and MOP inlays. EMG81 bridge and EMG85 neck. OFR - the BEST floating trem I've owned and Sperzel tuners that were damn hard/expensive to find for a reverse headstock.

It's in pretty much mint condition aside from the OFR that has faded micro tuners and a small chip at the end of the upper fin.

Here's a picture:

Now, before anyone says "Keep it!!", the RR body shape - as much as I love it - is not for me since 90% of the time I spend playing is sitting down. It's also only got 22 frets, which has really started to bother me lately, and I've ended up practically never playing it at all. The only thing I do use it for is to record whammy bar parts, as the OFR is simply incredible and the RGs can't cope with much whammy abuse before the tuning goes wayward.

So my question is, is it worth it? I really have no idea how much this would make if I put it to auction and could be sorely disappointed if I end up with too little to fund the purchace of an edge or edge pro RG. Bare in mind this would be for the UK market, so prices might be a little higher than in the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 AM

Re: How much is it worth?

They aren't fetching much right now mate (RR's in general) I reckon it'd probably hit £200 tops. However, you can pick up an RG550 for about £275 if you keep your eye out.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Would it make more if I parted it out?

I've got my eye on bikeman's RG670DX that he's asking 250 for.

I still have the box with all the pots for the emg set, and there's some fairly desirable bits on there. All in all it cost me something like 500 to put together a few years ago. I was hoping to get at least half that... thanks for the heads up anyway.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:37 PM

I'd certainly part it out to be honest.

And yeah go for the RG670
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 07:03 PM

Reviews: 120

Why don't you just put the OFR in one of your Korean RGs, put the old trem out of the RG in the RR, and sell the RR and have some spare cash left over? If you are otherwise happy with the neck, etc on your Korean RG this might work out perfectly. An OFR should quite easily fit in a Korean RG that has come with a LO-TRS or Edge III.
LonePhantom is online  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Why don't you just put the OFR in one of your Korean RGs, put the old trem out of the RG in the RR, and sell the RR and have some spare cash left over? If you are otherwise happy with the neck, etc on your Korean RG this might work out perfectly. An OFR should quite easily fit in a Korean RG that has come with a LO-TRS or Edge III.
They both have Edgepro II...

My RGR320DX is brilliant in all respects apart from the bridge. I'm keeping it as a backup at gigs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 PM

Fair enough then, that's what I was afraid of.

Although I have heard of people fitting the Edge Pro to the Edge Pro II cavity fairly easily. Would that be an option?
LonePhantom is online  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Fair enough then, that's what I was afraid of.

Although I have heard of people fitting the Edge Pro to the Edge Pro II cavity fairly easily. Would that be an option?
When you say "fairly easily", does that mean it requires routing? Because I'm not prepaired to start taking chunks out of my guitar. I know a very good luthier who could do that sort of thing, but his work isn't free. I'm pretty sure edge pros don't come too cheap either. I have gone that route (excuse the pun) before and have never been happy with the results.

In the end, I'd be a guitar down to fund the new bridge and work. The resale value on the guitar would be nothing like the money I'd have put into it either.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 06:42 AM

Well you wouldn't need to route the cavity from what others have said who have performed the mod. At most you might need to sand the cavity a little, so it's pretty easy.

Sounds similar to changing a LO-TRS II to an original Edge which I have done. The Edge fit in the Lo-TRS II cavity on my guitar, but it didn't look "neat" if you understand what I'm saying. Sanding the cavity a bit made it look like a more even fit. I used a dremmel for most of the work, but it can quite easily be done with sand paper by hand (that's how I started my work).

Just make sure that the Edge Pro II studs match up with the Edge Pros knife edges (I'm gathering they do seeing as others have done it). You can at least just use the Edge Pro IIs studs for the time being. Get a used Edge Pro off evilbay, just wait around and you'll get one for the price you want if you are patient.
LonePhantom is online  

Tags
body shape , edge pros , maple neck , reverse headstock , rosewood board , sperzel tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode