How much would my modified RG370DX fetch? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

How much would my modified RG370DX fetch?

I got this puppy used about two years ago. I've since done a fair amount of little modifications. After browsing around this site and learning about jems I've started saving up to buy myself one someday. I'm wondering how much I could sell this for in the classifieds here. Since I'm still a newbie you'll have to PM me for pictures.

I've switched out the stock pickups for emg 81/85's. I took out the middle pickup, but I still have it (along with the 5 way switch and the input jack). Also have a bunch of extra hardware from the chrome OFR I had installed onto it. Stuff like the trem claw, springs, nut, etc in chrome. Another minor thing is rubber tubing I stuffed into the trem springs to deaden their sound. I also installed some chrome schaller straplocks.

It has a solid black paintjob. Has minor wear on it, but nothing you would notice too hard without taking a close look to inspect them. It does have one scratch about an inch or so long that is more noticeable, which was there when I bought it. The neck joint has the small crack that's typical of AANJs. The back of the neck has a few very small dings, but again nothing you'd notice without inspecting for it. The lower E saddle on the OFR has some wear, but it functions just fine. The fretboard is in pretty good condition.

Other than that the specs are the same as a stock 370dx. I really don't know what a reasonable asking price for it is. Or how much I should pay on top of it if someone was willing to trade their jem for it (a used jem7vwh for example).

Any advice? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Re: How much would my modified RG370DX fetch?

Well new one's go for 300-350. So I would expect to get less than that. I would start at 300-325 and go from there.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Alright, thanks. I'm thinking it might be a better idea to either part it out or just keep it as a backup later on.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 PM

Reviews: 1

You'll probably do better parting it out; the OFR has a different radius than the neck, so some people will take issue with that, and unfortunately off the shelf pickups do little (even EMGs, unless it's a 7 string) to enhance the value. Overall, I think you could more out of parts if you sell the OFR setup, the EMG setup and then put your original pickups back in it and sell the guitar that way. You could probably top $300 going that route. As is, you'd be hard pressed to get more than $200 because once you hit that $250 area the consumer could purchase an RG570 or RG560 with an Edge and be better off in many ways. I hope that didn't come off as offensive to you; good luck whichever way you decide to go.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 05:17 AM

Reviews: 2

It's not hard to shim OFR saddles to match ibanez radius. Just need to find the right shim thickness. I used some thin metal sheet I had, cut it to size and it already had hole I aligned with saddle locking screw.
Cheers
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM

Reviews: 3

It's pretty safe to say you would be better of selling the parts separately. I sold my set of EMG's for $150 in a couple minutes on ****, I'm sure you could get some bucks for the OFR too.

Anybody who knows how to shim the saddles of a floyd rose bridge to properly match the fretboard radius isn't going to be buying a used 370dx. Unless they are buying it for cheap and using it for parts.

Guitars are like cars in that any money you put into aftermarket parts will not be reflected in your resale value.

Nobody wants to buy something that somebody else customized. I see the same guitars on craiglist for months at a time because people think that their personal modifications increased the value. Usually the opposite is true...

I'd part it out or keep it as a backup guitar. I have several guitars that I've improved greatly by putting on better tuners, pickups, bridges, etc. but there is no way I'm going to come even close to getting my money back if I try to sell them.

The problem is compounded by the current market, everyone is selling and not many people are buying. Of course, that also means that you can find crazy awesome deals for $100-$200 on craiglist if you are patient.

If you want something to sell somewhat quickly you usually have to go for around half of what the new cost is. I'd say since new ones go for $300-$350 you'd be looking at $200 (including your improvements) if you were patient. I'd put the stock parts back on and try to get $150 - $175 or so and then see what you can get for the pickups and bridge separately. It would probably take some time to sell the guitar though, I don't think a whole lot of people want beginner to intermediate level guitars unless they are getting a really good deal or buying for their kid who wants to learn. Which is another reason why your improvements don't matter when you are re-selling. A beginner won't know the difference between your OFR and the stock bridge for example.

As for selling on here, I put my EMG's up for a couple weeks. As a whole this crowd doesn't like active pickups very much. After trying them out I agree... I put them up on E-vil bay for more money than I was asking here and they sold in minutes.

I don't think you'd have much luck selling a 370 on here either. It would probably cost more to ship it than it is worth to anyone on here.

On the other hand, when you get your money together to buy an awesome Ibanez I would pay attention to the classifieds here, as there are often sweet deals that I only wish I could afford. If you want a brand new guitar Rich from Ibanez Rules will get you the best deal you could hope for when the time comes. Also, checking craigslist locally. I see barely used Jems in the $1000-$1500 range all the time here in Seattle.

Last edited by knifehitz; 08-13-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Tags
370dx , modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode