How much would you pay for a NOS RGT3020QM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

How much would you pay for a NOS RGT3020QM

Hi all,

I have been contemplating my next Ibanez for awhile, and while looking recenetly I stumbled upon an RGT3020QM that a seller here in Aus has. He claims its new old stock and immaculate.

The seller is asking $2574 AUD which is around $2000 USD.

Is this reasonable if its as new? Or is it overpriced?

I think these were around $2500 US when new? His ad mentions they were $4500 new, which I highly doubt.

What are you opinions?

This guitar appeals to me because of the neck and the neck though construction, the neck is an ultra and is very similar specs to the iron label "nitro" neck which I love.

My only issue is once you start looking at around $2500 your basically into "used" but immaculate J custom territory or buying a prestige or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2015, 05:59 AM

Re: How much would you pay for a NOS RGT3020QM

definitely over price.
around 1500 is reasonable for it.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

It's only really peeps who understand your domestic market and available guitars there who can really comment, the next step is to look at importation charges and taxes, exchange rates and so on to see whether it's a good price for Australia.

Have a look at eBay, reverb etc and see what else you could get the same amount, once you'd got it to your door, to decide if it's a good deal on the RGT or not.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:53 AM

Reviews: 120

I reckon this model would have gone for around $4-4500 AUD back when they were new, knowing what the retail market is like in Australia. If it's NOS $2500 AUD is pretty fair, although I'd be trying to bargain lower. If you could get it for around $2000 AUD it would be a bargain (remember looking at what Australian prices are like). A bit more would still be acceptable if it was a guitar you just have to have.
LonePhantom is online  
Old 01-04-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Got an email back just before saying that apparently retail was $5499 Aud. Fark me that's expensive if that's true, even though that's 10 years ago that's really overpriced imo, I didn't think any Ibanez was THAT much back then, considering a normal MIJ RG520 was around $1000 or less new from memory.

So if retail was over 5k over 10 years ago, and the guitar is now pretty old (even if barely played and "new old stock"), is it still considered new? Wouldn't the age now start to become an issue ie; shrinking wood around fret ends, binding might crack etc or am I thinking to much of it?

I can only think now of my 15 year old RG520 that has a lot of issues with the metal components, even though its been looked after and maintained it still has what I can only assume to be patina or oxidizing to the metals from moisture. Basically I don't want to spend a fair bit of $$$ on this RGT only to still have a lot of age related issues, kinda defeats the purpose paying such a hefty price if its not really "new", if you know what I mean
Old 01-04-2015, 08:11 PM

That would have been retail, but it would have sold at $4500 most of the time. Those RGTs were very expensive from what I can remember when seeing them on the shelve at the local music shop.
LonePhantom is online  
Old 01-05-2015, 02:43 AM

Reviews: 2

Man, that guy is throwing you a bucket full of crap. The RGT3120 only listed at $2000 here in the states. IIRC, street price was around $1600.

I know guitars are a lot more in OZ, but $5500 list sounds like a bunch of crapola.......

Looking up the average exchange rate between the AUD and the USD for 2002, it seems the AUD averaged 0.53USD. If I understand this correctly, the 3120 would have listed right around $3100 AUD.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:31 AM

Trust me on this one, guitar prices don't just convert from US to AUD. We're a tiny market compared to the U.S. for example, the RG20ths sold for just under a grand in the US, in Australia we paid just under $2000 AUD.

The RGTs were ridiculously priced, as were orher Models and brands of course. Only since the Aussie dollar went right up and stayed relatively up have we finally seen a bit of a price drop in recent times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Man, that guy is throwing you a bucket full of crap. The RGT3120 only listed at $2000 here in the states. IIRC, street price was around $1600.

I know guitars are a lot more in OZ, but $5500 list sounds like a bunch of crapola.......

Looking up the average exchange rate between the AUD and the USD for 2002, it seems the AUD averaged 0.53USD. If I understand this correctly, the 3120 would have listed right around $3100 AUD.
LonePhantom is online  
Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Trust me on this one, guitar prices don't just convert from US to AUD. We're a tiny market compared to the U.S. for example, the RG20ths sold for just under a grand in the US, in Australia we paid just under $2000 AUD.

The RGTs were ridiculously priced, as were orher Models and brands of course. Only since the Aussie dollar went right up and stayed relatively up have we finally seen a bit of a price drop in recent times.
How much is custom duty for guitar in Australia?
with the strong AUD against IDR, I think would that be cheaper to buy from Indonesia?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 AM

There's no duty for items under $1000. Not sure what the deal is over $1000, I've never spent that much in one transaction.
LonePhantom is online  
Old 01-05-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

Honestly I think the guy is telling porkies, says on the site they were rrp$4500 but a different guy emailed me today saying they were $5499 rrp and its already super cheap.

I'm finding it hard to put a price on, I have seen heaps of these in the US selling for way under $1000 used in various condition, there is a 3120 on ebay for just over $1000 AUD in good condition, and as I mentioned in a previous comment, just how "new" can a 10+ year old guitar be, if it still had the plastic protection on the black plastic covers or pickups then you could assume it hasn't been played much, but there is basically no way of me knowing if its legit new old stock or just really well kept used.

I'm still waiting a response back, if I don't hear from him tomorrow I'll just forget about it. You'd think if you were keen to spend in the vicinity of 2k+ they would be uber keen to get the deal done, obviously not with this place :/
Old 01-05-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
There's no duty for items under $1000. Not sure what the deal is over $1000, I've never spent that much in one transaction.
Over $1000 its like 10% I think. Worst case on a guitar over 2k it would be around $200+other fee's. Expensive but if its a one time thing I would do it, especially if I could find a mint JPM
Old 01-07-2015, 02:45 AM

I'd go for a used J Custom if I were to decide. But if it's one that you've been wanting and a "need to have" guitar, no more than $1,500 US dlrs --considering prices are higher there.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
Honestly I think the guy is telling porkies, says on the site they were rrp$4500 but a different guy emailed me today saying they were $5499 rrp and its already super cheap.

I'm finding it hard to put a price on, I have seen heaps of these in the US selling for way under $1000 used in various condition, there is a 3120 on ebay for just over $1000 AUD in good condition, and as I mentioned in a previous comment, just how "new" can a 10+ year old guitar be, if it still had the plastic protection on the black plastic covers or pickups then you could assume it hasn't been played much, but there is basically no way of me knowing if its legit new old stock or just really well kept used.

I'm still waiting a response back, if I don't hear from him tomorrow I'll just forget about it. You'd think if you were keen to spend in the vicinity of 2k+ they would be uber keen to get the deal done, obviously not with this place :/
Honestly, your better off finding a guitar you want in the states, find a friend/broker to buy it, then ship it to you though USPS. The last guitar I sent to Canberra cost round $100 very well packed.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:

I can easily see your point. I really don't know how Hoshino comes up with it's pricing. I was just using (my own) logic, which is rarely correct....LOL

Tags
rgt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in