How NOT to ship guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

How NOT to ship guitars

This is a post from another forum but it could apply to all of us one day so it's worth the read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imagine my horror when my wife called me to say that the guitar had arrived from FedEx Ground, and she asked.....why it did not come in a box !!

Yes, I did a trade with a guy (Andrew Emmel) and after careful preparation (lots of picture trading, many emails, talking on phone, etc) ..... I never thought to ask him if he would be putting this in a BOX for shipment. Some things I guess you just cannot assume. I was speechless, I mean who would send a $1500 guitar out to the FedEx gorilla gang with no protection other than the nice Gibson USA (mint condition when it started) hardshell case. This great case, which my traded decided to use as the shipping box....without telling me.....is part of the value of the trade. I don't even ship pedals in their boxes, I always double box them....to protect the value. And this guy sends a CASE out into the great unknown. Did I mention I was floored. Oh and by the way, this is a guitar that is well known for broken necks too right? Not even any internal padding to be sure it did not move around inside.
Just packing tape all around the outside to be sure and leave sticky un-removable residue all over the case....just to provide a continuous reminder of my bonehead shipper trading pal. Oh the horror. I was on a trip at the time so I got to wait 4 days until I got to see it with my own eyes.

So here is the "shipping box":

I can only assume that the owner wanted to start the relic'ing process of the case for me while it was in transit to me.

The good news is that it was not destroyed, the case had lots of new wear and tear courtesy of FedEx handlers and some pretty good crunches (in places that you wonder how they did it). But no broken neck. This must be a testament to the form/fit of this Gibson case as it did it's job well.

There is a darker side of the story (what was described as "deglossing of the back of neck by his guitar tech" seemed to be much more "hand some course sandpaper to your 6 year old and let them have it". It is brutal and unplayable neck that needs professional attention. I have an estimate for $150 to repair that surprise.....but that is another story for another thread.

Lesson learned #142:
Always confirm that seller/trader plans to put your item in a box and properly pack it.

Lesson learned #143:
Ones persons "deglossing to match the feel of his Taylor 314ce neck" is another persons "scraped with sawblade"

Lesson learned #144:
When you think that 10 pictures have told the entire story....ask for some more.

Lesson learned #145:
Even though you would always want to make a trade deal right in order to be fair and protect your reputation, don't assume others will do the same.

That is all for now. By the way I am not seeking any "oh that sucks.....I live near him and could pay him a visit" 30 page thread here. I just had to share my first bad trading experience in a long time....and vent a bit. I did not even encounter him here on TGP, but I know you guys would understand my horror. I now forgive him and wish him the best and hope that he enjoyed getting the better end of this trade deal.

The guy who traded me is: Andrew Emmel (username is: andrewemmel on Acoustic Guitar Forum and Ultimate Guitar forum). I don't see him on TGP, but wanted you guys to know so if you do deal with him....you can exercise GREAT caution. To be fair, he did not totally rip me off as he sent the guitar in trade, but his packaging was NON-EXISTENT which diminished the value of the case and the neck sanding destroyed the value that I attached to the guitar and he did NOTHING to try and reach happy compromise on making right on things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 AM

Re: How NOT to ship guitars

insane
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 AM

Reviews: 1

I'm surprised that Fed Ex even excepted it without being boxed up. That really strikes me as odd. How could he insure it? If he did and you mentioned that, please excuse me for missing it.

This situation reminds me of the LP I bought from a supposedly reputable seller. It arrived with a replacement nut that was not shown in the pictures. The catch is the previous owner (not the seller) had decided that it would be easier to cut into to the headstock than the nut to make the new nut fit. Big, high quality pics of that nightmare can be found here. What a shame.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Reviews: 7

this is sad
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
I'm surprised that Fed Ex even excepted it without being boxed up. That really strikes me as odd. How could he insure it? If he did and you mentioned that, please excuse me for missing it.
I'm guessing the guy shipped it through a FedEx shipping partner. Every actual FedEx place I went to has been overly anal about boxes and stuff being taped up properly. I'm surprised it survived the trip being shipped via FedEx GROUND.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:01 AM

Reviews: 39

I've worked in music retail since 2003, and that is totally uncalled for...I would have s#$! a brick!

You are lucky to have got a guitar at all. I got burned on a sale from Korea - made me stop using **** from 2001 until this year.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:28 PM

Scary!!! I had a guy post me a Jackson DKMG in a gig bag and nothing else earlier this year. Amazingly the guitar survived intact, not a mark on it. I nearly fainted opening the door to see a postman standing with a gigbag with my name/address taped to it.

Last edited by IbanezDaemon; 11-20-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Typo
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 PM

I bought my 11 yr old daughter an Ibanez SZ recently and it was shipped in the case alone. I was a little surprised too. I would never think of not shipping the case in a padded box. Crazy!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Scary!!! I had a guy post me a Jackson DKMG in a gig bag and nothing else earlier this year. Amazingly the guitar survived intact, not a mark on it. I nearly fainted opening the door to see a postman standing with a gigbag with my name/address taped to it.
[email protected]#$! a gig bag alone??? Wow.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimarzio562 View Post
[email protected]#$! a gig bag alone??? Wow.
I kid you not mate, just a gig bag and not a great one at that. No sign of any bubble wrap either. 600 miles or so that guitar had to travel and it arrived in immaculate condition. A minor miracle for sure.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Vendor

I used to get a couple guitars like this a year. I finally had to add the "and make sure it's boxed" to the small list of shipping instructions.

I bought 2 guitars out of Argentina once. UVGR and 7VWH. He took them to his local music store for "professional" packing and they shipped them.

The professional packing was taking a single layer of cardboard and folding it over the guitar [no case, no bag, no nothing] and tape around the edges. Not a box, a flat piece of cardboard. Needless to say, the UV never even made it out of Argentina, it was destroyed there by the post office. The VWH shows up on my doorstep, cardboard all mangled. I open it, not a ding, not a scratch, not a crack.

Go figure.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 PM

shishhh :\ this is very sad!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 PM

I have received guitars the same way, and it amazed me. I never even considered that someone would ship a guitar that way.

I just received a neck I bought that was just wrapped with a single piece of cardboard, and a few wraps of tape. No box, no padding, nothing. Thankfully it arrived in one piece.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:53 AM

so the easiest way to order an expensive guitar, it's the flight case?? i mean a good one..

i think it's the only way to take you guitar like how should it be.....a new one!!!

right?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I used to get a couple guitars like this a year. I finally had to add the "and make sure it's boxed" to the small list of shipping instructions.

I bought 2 guitars out of Argentina once. UVGR and 7VWH. He took them to his local music store for "professional" packing and they shipped them.

The professional packing was taking a single layer of cardboard and folding it over the guitar [no case, no bag, no nothing] and tape around the edges. Not a box, a flat piece of cardboard. Needless to say, the UV never even made it out of Argentina, it was destroyed there by the post office. The VWH shows up on my doorstep, cardboard all mangled. I open it, not a ding, not a scratch, not a crack.

Go figure.
Bizarre!

I absolutely f*ckin despise music store people here...

Tags
bad shipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode