How rare is my guitar? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

How rare is my guitar?

Hi guys ( and grls),
I have a ibanez rg620 BM SOL. The serial number is F529471. I traced it and it appears to have been made in June '95.
Strange though since it was issued for distribution in '96. The Quilted maple types came after these. Understood the first batch were made for Europe solely. Some say only a small number were produced. Anyways, hope some if you have more knowledge & insight what i currently have my possession.
Gr Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:10 PM

It's extremely common for the neck serial to be a year or more older than the model it's actually fitted to.
Define rare, there are quite a few near unique models because there was so much factory customisation done in the 80's and 90's.
Certainly yours sounds nice, perhaps links to pictures would help.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:05 PM

Re: How rare is my guitar?

I would say it's not very rare, as it was regular production model you can find in the catalogue, but it was only produced in one year in one control layout version and one in another control layout - so it's definitely rarer than some models that have been produced for many years. 600 series are very high-quality Japanese made instruments comparable to today's Prestige.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:23 PM

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG620BM_(1997)

you don't really run across many 600 series in the U.S. it is common to find serial numbers that don't quite match up to release dates. Often times Ibanez has already started producing parts for a guitar that will be released at winter namm early in the next year. So if it is a 96 model it wouldn't be unheard of for your neck, body or both to date 95.

I'd say what you have is fairly rare, not unheard of but i can't imagine there being many 600 series models out there at least in the U.S.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
...but i can't imagine there being many 600 series models out there at least in the U.S.
Whereabouts in the USA is the Netherlands then? 🤣
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Whereabouts in the USA is the Netherlands then? 🤣

well he didn't say he was in the Netherlands, and I can't speak about the Netherlands because I am not there so i offered an opinion given the information I had. I could have a user name the flying Dutchmen and be from Pennsylvanian and of German decent and like to fly air planes. So ... fail to see why you are being a ****.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:03 PM

I had hoped the humour would be obvious from the emoji.

Last edited by jono; 01-01-2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Take a double dose of "chill pill" and if things have cleared up, come back in a few days.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Hello guys,

First, don't get into a beef regards where one might come from, our love for Ibanez guitars is what we have all in common!
Second, yes i'm from Netherlands but belong like you all to the Ibanez family!

Now! Back too business! 😁
I've enclosed a pic, right leaning metal stair for scale!(error 404 - banana missing )
Indeed these 600 series were made for Europe only, how many have been made eventually, i dunno.
It was in pretty bad shape when I purchased it, had to re-do the fretwork and fine tuning at a luthier ( Patrick Koopman - one of the Former Guitar Tech for Vai ). I do not know if the Volume & Tone knobs are original. The neck pickup is original, the bridge ain't (probably a Dimarzio - will have to investigate ).
The rest is a fine piece, i love mahogany!

Greetings Guitar Connaisseurs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181223_102653_1545666923425.jpg (1.09 MB, 65 views)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Dutch View Post
Hello guys,

First, don't get into a beef regards where one might come from...
Hello, no beef, just returning fire when shot at by the humourless and the hostile, us EU types need to stick together! 😉
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:04 PM

Maybe not rare in Europe, but pretty rare in the USA. Mine(sadly sold a while back) was 1 of 4 on the Ibanez Registry site in the US and the only one with factory gold hardware. It was originally purchased in Amsterdam by an Army soldier that brought it to the USA. This model was only issued in Europe(details courtesy of Jim Donahue, former Ibanez custom shop manager)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 620~1.JPG (534.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 620back.JPG (508.5 KB, 13 views)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Rare or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Maybe not rare in Europe, but pretty rare in the USA. Mine(sadly sold a while back) was 1 of 4 on the Ibanez Registry site in the US and the only one with factory gold hardware. It was originally purchased in Amsterdam by an Army soldier that brought it to the USA. This model was only issued in Europe(details courtesy of Jim Donahue, former Ibanez custom shop manager)

...you both have/had lovely guitars...natural wood finish is so beautiful...especially with the flamed top!

Thanks to you both for a bit of 'way back' historical model eye candy!

Peace,

M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode