How to Set Up a USRG10 - should be simple...right ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

How to Set Up a USRG10 - should be simple...right ?

Okay, seeing as how this is a "simple" hard-tail guitar, this should be an easy question to answer, i hope. Anyway, as dumb of a question as this is, quite simply,how do you set these things up ? I need to get my action as low as possible across *the neck without buzz, and probably do some intonation work on it. I realize that adjusting the action might mean adjusting the neck bow...which brings me to my next question ! : if i try to adjust the neck bow, and don't do it *exactly* right, can it potentially RUIN the guitar? Or will i be able to fix it right back ? Please answer in clear { i.e. stupid } terms, i'm not to keen on guitar-tech speak. I love my guitar, and have been scared to mess with it for fear of ruining it...please help ! Thanks a lot, guys !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 05:18 PM

How to Set Up a USRG10

Jupiter (shouldn't that be Jove?), *perhpas you don't want to do this, but I really would take your guitar to a luthier to set it up really well at least once and then you'd know what to expect when you try yourself. *I think luthiers do such a vital and good job that we should give them our support at least once before they all die out.

I've toyed with the idea of setting up a my guitars but at the risk of messing it up I'd rather pay an expert Ģ30 (sterling) to do it for me (I'd never service my own car, after all!)

But that's just me........

Anil
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:17 PM

How to Set Up a USRG10

Hrmm...I think your should peruse this site, especially the guitar tech section...I think it will explain everything in a fairly easy to understand way, and if you have any specific questions I'm sure people will be more than happy to answer them...

I think it is important for a guitarist to understand their guitar and be able to do routine things to it...Makes you understand how everything works together better, and will just make your life easier if anything should arise in the future...

Dunno, I do know how to service my own car, as far as oil/filter change etc...And although I couldn't fix it if it totally broke on me, I feel better knowing a little bit about how my car works

Same thing with guitars...Its a good opportunity to get to know your baby inside and out ...

I recently changed the pickups in my 2027 and did a nice cleaning job on my 3120...and it is a fun and satisfying experience...

-Mike

(Edited by ANOVA at 3:22 pm on Sep. 4, 2001)
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

How to Set Up a USRG10

Hi again ! Well, i had toyed with the idea of sending it to a pro...but i live in a one-guitar-store town.And that one guitar store doesn't even have a tech anymore ! There is a Guitar Center about an hour away from where i live, but i would die before i took it there ! However, i do know of a guy that i could send it to that supposedly does really good work...but that means no guitar for a week, plus the risk of the possability that he's never worked on a tension-free neck. THAT i would be worried about..not a lot of people know the in's and out's of these necks, so it would bug me to think that he's working on that kind of neck for the first time...Anyway, i'm just rambling now, so thanks for your replies, any more help is gladly accepted ! Thanks
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:42 PM
Vendor

How to Set Up a USRG10

The chances of screwing it up are about 0. The neck relief is adjusted with an allen wrench through the hole in the AANJ. I forget if it's clockwise or counterclockwise. Just give it a quarter/half turn in 1 direction and see which way the neck moves, if it's the wrong way, go the other way
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:52 PM

How to Set Up a USRG10

Rich is absolutely right, as usual BUT!! Whatever you do, don't monkey around with that little hole in the side of the neck!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

How to Set Up a USRG10

Hmm...thanks for all your suggestions, guys ! I'll just give you all a more specific version of my problem, that might help. My low E string rattles HORRIBLY when i hit it open. I have slid two little pieces of paper under the string where it passes over the nut to act as a shim.This little trick actually works { no rattle ! }. I tried raising the action by raising the bridge saddle, but by the time i eliminated the rattle, the action was in range for playing slide...The action on the upper frets is a little high, but i could live with it if i could get rid of that darn rattle. Hope this helps...hey Rich, could i send it to you for a setup for a fee ? Thanks, Ben
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 10:06 PM
Vendor

How to Set Up a USRG10

Sounds like you've either got some backbow happening, or the nut is just too low. Unfortunately I have little practical experience with these models.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

How to Set Up a USRG10

Hey * *Rich, just read your post! Backbow, eh ? Do you mean the neck doesn't have enough releif in it ? This would mean LOOSENING the truss rod, right ? Like i've * * said before, i'm not exactly an expert on tech terminology...To me, my guess would be that the nut is too low. But with the *brass nut running all the way through the neck, there doesn't seem to be a logical way to raise it. Or is there ? Thanks for all your help everybody, you guys are great, keep it coming! -+Ben-+
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 10:43 AM
Vendor

How to Set Up a USRG10

Yes, try adding more relief first.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

How to Set Up a USRG10

Just thought i'd mention, i raised the pickups a bit tonight. This really improved the tone ; the Tone Zone was sounding really weak, but now it absolutely screams ! The Paf just has a lot rounder *tone to it now. Love those Tone Zone harmonics...still haven't gotten around to the neck adjustment, though. I was going to do it tonight, but i couldn't find the right allen wrench for the job. By the way, when i do finally adjust it, should i tune down a bit to loosen up the tension ? I'm hoping then i can lower the action a bit...thanks, ben
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

How to Set Up a USRG10

Just thought i'd mention, i raised the pickups a bit tonight. This really improved the tone ; the Tone Zone was sounding really weak, but now it absolutely screams ! The Paf just has a lot rounder *tone to it now. Love those Tone Zone harmonics...still haven't gotten around to the neck adjustment, though. I was going to do it tonight, but i couldn't find the right allen wrench for the job. By the way, when i do finally adjust it, should i tune down a bit to loosen up the tension ? I'm hoping then i can lower the action a bit...thanks, ben
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

How to Set Up a USRG10

Hmm...i just got done tinkering with it a little...i loosened the strings, then turned the rod in a counter-clockwise direction about 1/4, then 1/2 turn...this seemed to make the open string rattle worse...so i put the rod back to where i had it..then moved it clockwise about 1/2 turn. This semed to help a little. It made the neck bow, um...towards me { assuming i'm holding it like i'm playing }, if that makes sense. I finally moved it about 3/4 of a turn, then tuned back up. By the way, there was quite a bit of resistance while tunring it..hope that's normal! Anyway, the bow seems to have merely affected frets 24 { or so } to about 4 or 5, thus not affecting my open string action : (...now my A string is buzzing, too.Hmm. Yeah, help would be much appreciated, especially from Jimi D, as he had one of these guitars...oh well, i'm gonna try again, wish me luck...-+Ben+--
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 07:14 PM

How to Set Up a USRG10

Hi Jupiter ~ I got your email but promptly lost it in my series of hard drive failures and ISP changes I've been putting myself through as I upgrade my PC and go high speed all at the same time... Anyway, there's not much I can tell you, except maybe to go out and buy a good book on setting up guitars. Otherwise, turn counter-clockwise to loosen the truss rod and increase the amount of relief (this should actually only be noticable between maybe the third and twelfth or maybe fourteenth frets), clockwise to tighten and decrease relief. Problems with open strings ringing are usually attributable to having the nut cut too low or the bridge down too low for the neck angle ime, but it's virtually impossible for an amateur like me to talk somebody through something like this. You have to get some good research material, bone up on all the elements of a good set up, and then start to evaluate the problem by a process of trial and error. It's a steep learning curve, but worth it, imho....

I would suggest one of Dan Erlewine's books. I have the "Guitar Player Repair Guide, 2nd Ed." and it's my setup and fixit bible. Probably the best $30 I ever spent in my life...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 07:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
How to Set Up a USRG10

i dont own a USRG but the same setup principles apply as with any other RG. The USRGs only difference is the trussrod allows more adjustability in theory than the std RG/JEM neck. You can read my methodology in the GUITAR TECH/SETUP area... glen

Tags
allen wrench , dan erlewine , guitar tech , jem neck , neck angle , neck bow , neck relief , tone zone , truss rod , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

ihow to build a simple bridge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode