How to tell if a neck is made in Japan? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

How to tell if a neck is made in Japan?

Hey guys, I just bought an Ibanez RG neck from a guy here on the forum. The back of the neck is sanded down, along with the back of the headstock, so I don't know where it was made(cause I can't see the serial number). It was made in '97. Only way I know that is cause its stamped on the back of back of the neck(the part that connects to the body).

The reason I ask is because I know many of the RG series back then were made in Japan. Was this one? Also, I dont know what model it was.

FYI: It has grey shark tooth inlays. Rosewood fingerboard. Black headstock, says "RG series" on logo(obviously)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:21 PM

Re: How to tell if a neck is made in Japan?

does it feel like a wizard 1 or 2? since your thinking its a 97 and with sharksteeth on an rg, i would venture to say that it's a korean neck from a lower end dx model.

rich
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM

Another tell is what holes are there for tuners. If each has 2 un-threaded holes and no offset screw hole, likely it had screw-less tuners which makes it probably Korean. If each tuner has a single offset screw hole, that means Gotoh tuners and probably Japanese. This is not 100% proof but applies to most RG's.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Another tell is what holes are there for tuners. If each has 2 un-threaded holes and no offset screw hole, likely it had screw-less tuners which makes it probably Korean. If each tuner has a single offset screw hole, that means Gotoh tuners and probably Japanese. This is not 100% proof but applies to most RG's.
good point!!

rich
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 AM

If it's date stamped on the back of the neck heel, it's probably NOT Japanese. I've seen a lot of Korean W2's stamped like that, but no original Wizards.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:28 AM

See what truss rod adjustment nut it has. I've never seen a Japanese model that didn't have the brass hex nut. All the others, korean, Indo, Chino, etc, I've worked on seem to have the allen head hex socket you use an allen wrench to adjust. --Jason
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 AM

I think the tuner holes are the quickest way to tell, although possibly quicker is if the headstock logo is mirrored or not. From what I've seen, until the last couple of years, the Jap ones always had mirrored logos with "RG Series" and the Korean and Indo ones didn't. I think so anyway.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Reviews: 18

How about a picture of the neck?

Jimmy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
How about a picture of the neck?

Jimmy
Sure, make it easy on everyone...

Tags
allen wrench , black headstock , gotoh tuners , rod adjustment , rosewood fingerboard , shark tooth inlays , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode