how tight is too tight? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

how tight is too tight?

The subject heading is referring to strings - the issue, breaking/warping/damaging the neck.

I have an RG7620 (which is basswood), Japanese made..

I've got 10-60's on it, and am wondering how sharp I could go, whilst being still safe from doing any damage to the guitar

After reading around on this forum, I have noted some guys who play with very fat strings in high tunings, such as standard etc...

I like the idea of that, and i would like to try it. But, I am worried that I might put too much tension of the neck.

Comments? suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 07:14 AM

...hehehe... Didn't realize this was a guitar question...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

what did you think it was?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshka
Why, a sexual double entendre, of course!
(in foghorn leghorn voice) "it's a joke, son, a joke"...

There is no definite amount you can safely sharpen pitch, because wood is not homogenous; some pieces will take more than others. Plus, other factors like neck thickness, action height, etc. come into play. If the strings pull too much relief into the neck where the truss rod is cranked tight and you can't reduce relief then you need to back off.

As for examples of how high others have gone (which may not be a great indicator of what your neck will do), others will have to post.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshka
Why, a sexual double entendre, of course!
(in foghorn leghorn voice) "it's a joke, son, a joke"...
Priceless!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 02:16 PM

On my 7421XL (27 inch scale length), I used .011-.047 in standard tuning for my 6 basic strings and a .072 for my 7 string tuned to a low A. It handled it with no problem.

On the guitars that I make, I use the same strings for the basic 6 but I've switched to a .060 for the low A.

On a 25.5 inch scale length I use .012 to .050 for the basic 6 strings and never had a problem with them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 02:44 PM

right now on my 7421xl i use 10-46 with a 60 for the low b in standard tuning, and it has been fine so far. i am going to try 11-52 strings wth a 60 for the low b here soon though and see how i like that!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

ok, because on my GR7620, i've got 10-52 for the six, and a 60 for the B string.

And then I have detuned half step, making it A#D#G#C#F#A#D#

I had to add significant tension on the springs in order for maintain the right trem angle

I was originally one step down, and was unhappy with my sound, so I tuned up half a step in order to simulate what it would be like if I go fatter guage strings and left it a whole step down.

(the potential issue, the string tension not enough)

I found that it sounded a bit better, and fell a lot better, and got less fret buzz. But my ultimate problem didn't go away, and that's when i let the A# string ring out, the tone sounds bad.. it kinda seems like its changing pitch a little bit..

I have noticed that my guitar sounds really great with clean sounds. I am addicted to tons of gain.. I love the fat sound I can get with my 6 string in dropped D.

I love it, its so easy to get a fat sound.

How do you change the action? do you alter it at both ends? (i might need to raise the action a tiny bit to get ris of fret buzz)

Tags
fret buzz , guage strings , string tension , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode