how would you rate the new prestiges RG to the Original RG's - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
how would you rate the new prestiges RG to the Original RG's

since most of the Prestige's are modeled after the Original RG series . which you guys think is better the Original or the new RG's ? Myself I'm on the Original side . I played a RG1570 and I own a Original RG570 and my 570 walks on IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: how would you rate the new prestiges RG to the Original RG's

I have to say that I think the older guitars have it. The modern guitars have better fit and finish, but I have serious issues with the choice of hardware and lack of vision with regards to the overall aesthetics of the guitars.

the Edge Zero isn't as good as the Edge trem. The headstocks don't match on guitars that used to match on the older equivalent models. Lots of little niggles that mean that the guitars aren't what they could be, or should be.

I'm sure Ibanez has the marketing figures to show they know best, but I can't help but think they're missing the focus on getting it "right" that they used to have.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I have to say that I think the older guitars have it. The modern guitars have better fit and finish, but I have serious issues with the choice of hardware and lack of vision with regards to the overall aesthetics of the guitars.

the Edge Zero isn't as good as the Edge trem. The headstocks don't match on guitars that used to match on the older equivalent models. Lots of little niggles that mean that the guitars aren't what they could be, or should be.

I'm sure Ibanez has the marketing figures to show they know best, but I can't help but think they're missing the focus on getting it "right" that they used to have.
I 100% agree with that .But i didn't even like the way it felt . my 570 is totally stock too and it just smoked the 1570. thinking about buying another Rg and The old square heel is the way I'm going to go
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

like to find a 565 or a 765 but I won't be buying till after the first of year til taxmas lol
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 AM

I got rid of most of my Prestige models for old 80's Ibanezes. Only ones I kept were my 2620 lava swirl and a first year 3120 with a Lo Pro on it. Prestiges today simply cannot compare to the older RG's.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 06:54 AM

I sold all my Prestige guitars too after getting an '87 RG550 and J Custom. The Prestige guitars are good, much better than what the competition offers, but there's something about the old Ibanez guitars that make you want to play better.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

hell I might even put one together or get a USA Custom RG
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 AM

What's the word on the RG750's? Just recently I decided to look at getting an Ibanez and I hear lotsa talk on the RG550, 560 & 570, but not much on the 750's. Opinions on these?
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djem View Post
What's the word on the RG750's? Just recently I decided to look at getting an Ibanez and I hear lotsa talk on the RG550, 560 & 570, but not much on the 750's. Opinions on these?
Awesome guitars 750 is basically a 550 with better components like pickups and with lightning sharktooth inlays .I'm not too crazy about front routed guitars Thats why I like 565 560,570 ,765 ,760 & 770 with no pick guard
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Original RGs all the way. But I'll also say that I find a BIG difference between the Prestige guitars of recent years, and the Prestige guitars from 1998 to around 2003. I do have a lot of love for my RG3120s and my SC1620 but the newer Prestige don't even compare to them.

For the price point that Prestige guitars sell for these days, they should have:

1) Better finishing on the necks - anyone here noticed how sticky the necks on the new Prestige guitars are?

2) Better fret finishing

3) Better quality control on finishing overall -I bought an RG2610 at closeout recently that had flaws in the clearcoat that should have warranted it being labeled a factory second.

4) Out of box setup on Ibanez guitars ain't what it used to be.

5) Nicer top selections for guitars with figured tops - The tops on any newer Prestige I own or have seen leave me ambivalent about them, whereas the tops on my RG3120s are droolworthy.

6) Matching headstock overlays - esp. for the brighter color and figured top guitars. Heck up to 2006 they were at least doing the walnut headstock overlays on the higher end Prestige, which was at least TRYING.

7) An ebony fretboard OPTION - Come on Ibanez, at least make it an OPTION!

And last but not least:

6) A set of pickups that are in line with the price of the guitar - This one drives me batty. How can they seriously sell $1000+ instruments with their Dimarzio/IBZs when most of their competition is including Seymour Duncans or EMGs in even their LOW END guitars?

Ibanez clearly used to get it: My 3120s all had real Dimarzios, my USA Customs all had real DiMarzios, but my nigh $2000 retail price RGA321 and even the LIMITED EDITION puzzle guitars had crap stock pickups! Come on Ibanez: You put out a limited edition guitar, and then cheapen the experience by not putting a real set of Dimarzios in it? Unfathomable to me

Don't get me wrong, I own an RGA321fbx, two RGA121s and I do enjoy playing them, but I bought them used and would have a hard time purchasing a Prestige at full retail price.

With the Prestige line these days, I guess I feel overall that Ibanez has made a calculated decision to maintain, or even increase their price point, while taking away the value added bells and whistles that they used to give us.

I still like my newer Prestige guitars better than pretty much anything any other mass manufacturer makes right now, but I've gotta say, I recently bought my second Charvel USA So-Cal NEW for less than $1000.

They look awesome, sound fantastic, and come stock with real Dimarzio pickups. The necks feel so buttery smooth I want to rub it all over myself, and the quality of the finishing work and setup takes a great big steaming poop all over anything Ibanez (or any other makers guitar at this price point) has put out in nearly a decade, and you can get them for less than a grand.

What originally made me an Ibanez supporter back in the day was that they gave you by far the most bang for the buck, which I'm sorry to say, is far from the case these days.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djem View Post
The RG 700 series guitars are fantastic guitars. I own a 760 and a 750FM, and they're simply wonderful.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 AM

The last prestige I ever had was RG 2610Z, and I just had it for less than 1 month, everything in there just felt wrong to me.

I'm one of those guys out there who thinks some ibanez guitars should remain unchanged.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightDies View Post
Original RGs all the way. But I'll also say that I find a BIG difference between the Prestige guitars of recent years, and the Prestige guitars from 1998 to around 2003. I do have a lot of love for my RG3120s and my SC1620 but the newer Prestige don't even compare to them.

For the price point that Prestige guitars sell for these days, they should have:

1) Better finishing on the necks - anyone here noticed how sticky the necks on the new Prestige guitars are?

2) Better fret finishing

3) Better quality control on finishing overall -I bought an RG2610 at closeout recently that had flaws in the clearcoat that should have warranted it being labeled a factory second.

4) Out of box setup on Ibanez guitars ain't what it used to be.

5) Nicer top selections for guitars with figured tops - The tops on any newer Prestige I own or have seen leave me ambivalent about them, whereas the tops on my RG3120s are droolworthy.

6) Matching headstock overlays - esp. for the brighter color and figured top guitars. Heck up to 2006 they were at least doing the walnut headstock overlays on the higher end Prestige, which was at least TRYING.

7) An ebony fretboard OPTION - Come on Ibanez, at least make it an OPTION!

And last but not least:

6) A set of pickups that are in line with the price of the guitar - This one drives me batty. How can they seriously sell $1000+ instruments with their Dimarzio/IBZs when most of their competition is including Seymour Duncans or EMGs in even their LOW END guitars?

Ibanez clearly used to get it: My 3120s all had real Dimarzios, my USA Customs all had real DiMarzios, but my nigh $2000 retail price RGA321 and even the LIMITED EDITION puzzle guitars had crap stock pickups! Come on Ibanez: You put out a limited edition guitar, and then cheapen the experience by not putting a real set of Dimarzios in it? Unfathomable to me

Don't get me wrong, I own an RGA321fbx, two RGA121s and I do enjoy playing them, but I bought them used and would have a hard time purchasing a Prestige at full retail price.

With the Prestige line these days, I guess I feel overall that Ibanez has made a calculated decision to maintain, or even increase their price point, while taking away the value added bells and whistles that they used to give us.

I still like my newer Prestige guitars better than pretty much anything any other mass manufacturer makes right now, but I've gotta say, I recently bought my second Charvel USA So-Cal NEW for less than $1000.

They look awesome, sound fantastic, and come stock with real Dimarzio pickups. The necks feel so buttery smooth I want to rub it all over myself, and the quality of the finishing work and setup takes a great big steaming poop all over anything Ibanez (or any other makers guitar at this price point) has put out in nearly a decade, and you can get them for less than a grand.

What originally made me an Ibanez supporter back in the day was that they gave you by far the most bang for the buck, which I'm sorry to say, is far from the case these days.
Why should Ebony be an option? and are you taking the proverbial with regards to the "real DiMarzios" comments
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 05:02 PM

I have an RGT320QRBB which is by all accounts an amazing guitar. It has DiMarzio/IBZ pickups in it. They are just awful. I played it the other day and immediately thought something was wrong. I tried all the pickup positions and finally unplugged the guitar and plugged my '91 77FP in. Immediately 100X better. Since some people think vintage pups sound better, I next plugged in an RG2005-1 with brand new FRED/Air Norton pickups in it. Sounded great. A bit different from the Jem, but nice and tight.

It made me sad because it made me realize that I never play the RGT because the pups are so bad. I need to get some replacements in it ASAP.

Back on topic, my RG2005-1, which has a Prestige RG2550E neck, is a great guitar with the DiMarzios in it. It actually has a Jem neck on it now, but when it had the stock neck, it was the best-playing guitar I had. To be fair, it had Rich's pro setup on it, but it was still awesome.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Why should Ebony be an option? and are you taking the proverbial with regards to the "real DiMarzios" comments
To me, it's more a question of why shouldn't ebony be an option. I like the way ebony fretboards look, play, and sound. Also, I've always considered Jackson and ESP Ibanez' primary competitors, and both offer stock models with ebony as a fretboard option.

As for the "real Dimarzio" comment, I simply mean an actual set of aftermarket pickups that you would buy and not Dimarzio IBZ. Some people argue that they don't hear a difference, but I do and think the IBZ DiMarzios aren't the worst thing I ever heard, but they also don't do anything particularly well.

I guess what I'm saying overall, is that I personally think a reverse headstock, mahogany bodied RGA with an ebony fretboard, a nice figured top with matching headstock overlay, and a crunchlab/air norton stock pickup combo, and an awesome our of box set up would be sweet.

Tags
prestige guitar , rg570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode