how's your RG 1527?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

how's your RG 1527??

I'm a college student (Berklee college of music) and they pretty much milk me for every penny I have...

anyways I'm not bringing my jem7v there as Id like to keep her as mint as possible while still playing her every day ( why do I refer to my guitars as girls?) so I bought an RG1527... its right in my price range and I've always wanted a 7 string. I thought about getting a used UV but for that price it'd be semi-beat up and I like prefect looking instruments.

aside from the pickups (I also got a tone zone 7 and an air norton 7 for the guitar) how do you think this guitar ranks? Is it clear when you play it that it's a prestige? granted the 2027 has a double edge, but other than that isn't the nect the same? And because it's a prestige doesn't that mean that it gets the same tone wood and same craftsmanship as lets say a 3120? possibly even a UV?

it hasn't come in yet so I'm hoping it really is a steal for the price. I love the fact that it has an edge pro 7 trem...

anyways what do you think? how does it compare? how does the tone Zone 7 sound in a basswood guitar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:38 PM

Well, I'm extremely happy with mine. Everything on it seems pretty solid, and I haven't had any trouble with mine yet. The neck is wonderful. I haven't played a 2027 so I can't comment there, but I can say that it's comfortable and playable even for someone like me with moderately small hands. I haven't actually played a guitar with Tone Zone in it, but from what everybody says, and the samples I've heard it sounds GREAT. Actually, I think I'm going to try to get ahold of another RG 7 and put a Tone Zone in it. Personally, I think you've made a GREAT choice. The pickups sound great, and the guitar is one of the best values I've ever seen. If you just showed it to me, and I didn't know what it was, I would think that it would retail for $900 to $1000. At the price you pay for it, you can afford to put new pickups in it and do some custom work on it and turn it into a really nice guitar for less than you'd pay for a new UV.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:44 PM

thing is that, flat and thin necks are good for small hands
but for people with rather normal/long fingers, like me, they can be a pain in the arse! especially the edges, they seriously hurt my hand, especially when playing with the "rock hand position" with thumb over the neck you know.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:52 PM

im realy happy with mine (im in the u.k so its pear black with an ultra 7 neck)

its realy good, very solid and a stunningly priced guitar for how good it is, ive had no probs with it.

i ushaly dont take well to 7strings but this was perfect right away.

im gona put a TZ7 in brdge and an AN7 in neck, they are on there way and i ahve used this guitar with them in and i can say it was very impressive with the combo.

its def the only 7string ive used (ive tryed alot) that ive realy liked i have pretty much no complaints and im pretty particular about my guitars so....................
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

wow thanks for the quick response!!!

actually I have normal sized fingers (length wise) but I typically don't play with the "rock hand position" more of a classical guitar players position, unless I'm doing some bluesy sounding things...

when I got my JEM 7 I had previously owned (and still do) a Les Paul standard so even with the jem7s "beefier" neck my hands hurt til I moved away from holding the guitar more in my palm.

I guess I'll just have to get used to the wider neck
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 05:31 PM

So far I love my RG1527. It is the only 7-string I've ever played. In fact, I ordered it without ever playing a 7-string. The neck took a little bit of getting used to. I have meaty palms and short stubby fingers, so a different hand position was needed. The price I paid was well below what I would expect to pay for such a fine instrument. The overall build quality is excellent for the price. I'm thinking about a Duncan Invader or Custom in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. If anyone has experience with these pickups, I would like to hear about it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

actually before I put EMGs in my les paul I had duncans in there, invader in the bridge and a pearly gates in the neck, they're great pickups...

...but I'm a loyalist to Dimarzio I just think they sound better. Most duncans sound like slight variations of the classic PAF design, where as Dimarzio seems to be more experimental in getting awesome pickup tones
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 05:52 AM

i just setup a friend's 1527, and all i can say is: i can NOT believe it!
and i'm used to Ibanez quality standards, as an Ibanez collector, so...

trust me, if you ever think to get one, well, you'll never regret.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:22 AM

I'm still drooling over the Japan Only RG15271 hardtail.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:16 AM

i'm myself drooling on those XL neck RGs
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez should start using string throughs instead of hardtails...

but I love whammy work so a stringthrough double locking bridge like the edge pro is a drem come true...

side not: has any body noticed better sustain or improved tone than a lo pro edge?

p.s. are the XL necks the baritones?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 01:51 PM

yeah, they are 27"
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemLegacy
has any body noticed better sustain or improved tone than a lo pro edge?
i have noticed it.
but maybe it was just my impression, who knows...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 06:40 AM

just an impression
i've played a 1570, 2570, 2077, didnt notice anything

Tags
air norton , basswood guitar , duncan invader , guitar players , les paul , les paul standard , locking bridge , pro edge , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode