Hypothetical question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Hypothetical question

If someone was playing shows in different countries other than Japan using a J.custom guitar, would this become a problem with an endorsement with Ibanez being that the guitars are not supposed to be sold outside of Japan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Re: Hypothetical question

Maybe said guitar WAS purchased in Japan. How would Ibanez know?

Ibanez knows that a lot of the J custom guitars end up outside of Japan. I seriously doubt they would mind at all to have an endorsee showing off one of their top-of-the-line models. But then, you could always check with Ibanez. Or send a message to Tak.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:43 AM

It's not that they are not supposed to be sold outside of Japan, it's just that Ibanez doesn't send them to other markets. A couple of the authorized Japanese Ibanez dealers sell to people in the U.S.; all you have to do is call them and make the arrangements. Rich at Ibanezrules also sells them here. (although he's not an authorized dealer) Some fleabay sellers sell them here as well.

:: 2 cents warning ::

I would figure that if you are an Ibanez endorsee, the endorsement deal just wants to insure that you play a guitar that is made by Ibanez.

:: 2 cents warning off ::
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:50 AM

I would figure they wouldn't want you playing a guitar that can't be bought wherever you are playing it.

How many endorsees play JC's in a US tour?

~Bones
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
It's not that they are not supposed to be sold outside of Japan, it's just that Ibanez doesn't send them to other markets. A couple of the authorized Japanese Ibanez dealers sell to people in the U.S.; all you have to do is call them and make the arrangements. Rich at Ibanezrules also sells them here. (although he's not an authorized dealer) Some fleabay sellers sell them here as well.

:: 2 cents warning ::

I would figure that if you are an Ibanez endorsee, the endorsement deal just wants to insure that you play a guitar that is made by Ibanez.

:: 2 cents warning off ::
i agree, i think its mostly a market....to bring it inot the us, theyd probably have to drop millions on just exposure of the new market.....i dunno if i went to jap and got one, then became a famous rocker, and played it on stage, nah, nobody would get between me and my axe
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 AM
GAZ

Exclamation Re: Hypothetical question

The UK and Europe (sic) have officially sold JC 's in the past (up to 2005/6) so it's not true to say they are not supposed to be sold outside of Japan.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Hypothetical question

I don't think that would be a problem for anyone.

Lots of guys play guitars (custom made-custom painted) that you can't get, but would still make someone want to buy from the company.

Steve Cropper had his signature guitar with Peavey a few years ago, but the ones he played had an arched top. Peavey wouldn't make one for anyone else. I tried to get the reps to help me out to no avail.

Schecter-Jackson-ESP all make custom pieces for anyone as well as their endorsees.

So long as the headstock said Ibanez, I don't think they would have a problem, as they would still be endorsing their product...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post

Schecter-Jackson-ESP all make custom pieces for anyone as well as their endorsees.

So long as the headstock said Ibanez, I don't think they would have a problem, as they would still be endorsing their product...

Schecter, Jackson and ESP also have custom shops open to the public while Ibanez does not.

Back to sales and marketing, that's why people are endorsed, to bring in revenue and sell guitars/gear. If people can't buy what they see their favorite artist playing then what good is it for the company? I'm sure it does bring interest to the brand which is still positive for the company.

The one hole I do see in my thought is with the LACS shop since that isn't open to the public and most of us have seen the amazing stuff coming out of there that we rarely get a chance to buy them if you're not endorsed (only on the used market otherwise). There are a few endorsees playing LACS that are members on this forum that proudly show their LACS guitars and start MAJOR GAS attacks worldwide (Yes Buzz YOU!! and soon to be Rikk). They do give us ideas on making custom/modified versions thru outside sources, we just can't get them thru Ibanez.

This is an interesting thread.

~Bones
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 05:04 AM

I can't see any reason at all that Ibanez would be put out if an endorsee was using a J-Custom outside of Japan. I'm sure they know that people export them out of Japan, and that people import them into other countries.

Would they care if an endorsee purchased a European model while on tour and played it in the US, or vice versa? I doubt it.

Do we have any endorsed members living outside of Japan who play J-Customs?

Theres one way to fix this confusion, and thats for Ibanez to start making J-Customs available outside of Japan. Maybe one day it will happen...

Rock on!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Hypothetical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
Schecter, Jackson and ESP also have custom shops open to the public while Ibanez does not.
At this point I can't see them ever offering it, the demand would be ridiculous. I would be one of the first in line for it, however...I can always hope
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:43 AM

I can only speculate that JC's can't be produced in high enough numbers to have them readily available for sale in all markets without sacrificing the end quality and they definitely wouldn't be putting out smaller runs of special JC's.

~Bones
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
I can only speculate that JC's can't be produced in high enough numbers to have them readily available for sale in all markets without sacrificing the end quality and they definitely wouldn't be putting out smaller runs of special JC's.

~Bones
The trick is not to have them readily available, per se, but to let the dealers order them on demand. The total number of worldwide sales probably wouldn't really increase that much. It would just give customers an easier route than ordering from Japan.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 AM

Reviews: 1

My friendís friend who is the Ibanez endorsee and play J-custom on stage but he was told that once he got his signature Ibanez, he canít play J-custom on stage.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 AM

but that makes sense because Hoshino would want to recoup what they spent putting together his signature model! If he continues playing a JC, that basically means that "I like JC more than my sig, custom made by Ibanez"
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 AM

Yeah, there's definately a difference between being an endorsee and having your own signature model.

IMHO there's also a difference between a signature model and a custom model. Steve Vai and Joe Satriani have signature models. If you have the dollars you can walk into a guitar store and buy one.

Chris Broderick has a custom model, and if you want it you will have to convince him to sell it to you. His guitar is a one off custom, not a signature model.

Just my 2 cents.

Rock on!

Tags
chris broderick , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , ibanez dealer , joe satriani , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode