hypothetical... RG at a pawn shop... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

hypothetical... RG at a pawn shop...

so lets say hypothetically i found an RG 470. MIJ looks to be a 99. the color is like charcoal gray with some sparkles. players condition. Neck has the cracks at the nut. but it does have the bubinga stripe. original edge in cosmo chrome. would it be worth it to buy it for 150 dollars? i would be looking to part it out to help pay for my other guitar....

no pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:14 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: hypothetical... RG at a pawn shop...

yes... and why would you part out a 470 with an OE??? Its worth more as a whole than in parts. There's a LOT of loyal 470 players out there that would KILL to get their hands on an EXTREMELY difficult to find MIJ 470 with an OE. just my two cents

Ryc
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Are you sure it's a 470? Sounds like a 570. I thought the only MIJ 470s were from around 93, and I've never seen a 470 with the bubinga stripe--only the 570s from the late 90s. And certainly no OE on a 99 470 unless the previous owner swapped out the LoTRS. The shop owner might not know what he has.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Are you sure it's a 470? Sounds like a 570. I thought the only MIJ 470s were from around 93, and I've never seen a 470 with the bubinga stripe--only the 570s from the late 90s. And certainly no OE on a 99 470 unless the previous owner swapped out the LoTRS. The shop owner might not know what he has.
Your right... it has to be a 570.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 01:29 AM

rg570
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

SN starts with F99. cosmo chrome hardware. doubt it is an 89, so i assumed it was a 99. forgot about the lo trs. I thought some of the 470's were MIJ and some were MIK, i just assumed this one was one of the MIJ ones. i think the shop doesnt know what exactly it is they are probably just low pricing it due to the neck crack..... i might try to low ball them and see if they bite.....
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Reviews: 21

RG570. Iron Pewter I'm betting.
I know it might not be a big deal to some, but the crack at the neck behind the nut would be a deal breaker for me. You might make your money or tiny profit if the OE is in good shape and you sell the body, but you describe it as a player which means you might not make your money back. If you wanted one as a player yourself you could get one in better shape for $200 I think. $200-300 seems to be market rate these days. $300 if you're very lucky. This is the hangover of Ibanez offering such bland finishes in the early 2000's, I think.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 AM

I think half the jemsite population just jumped into their cars and are running towards KC

Yeah, check it out well before dropping any cash. Sounds like an interesting project at worst though.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
RG570. Iron Pewter I'm betting.
I know it might not be a big deal to some, but the crack at the neck behind the nut would be a deal breaker for me. You might make your money or tiny profit if the OE is in good shape and you sell the body, but you describe it as a player which means you might not make your money back. If you wanted one as a player yourself you could get one in better shape for $200 I think. $200-300 seems to be market rate these days. $300 if you're very lucky. This is the hangover of Ibanez offering such bland finishes in the early 2000's, I think.
i worry about this as well.... I know it would take about 40 bucks to get the luthier to glue and press it for me. the edge is not in perfect condition with some minor pitting. i am pretty sure that i could get my money out of it. but at 150 it would be tight and would probably not be worth the time. i am thinking if i can get it for one bill, i might do it. still contemplating....
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

i am also hesitant due to the fact that i am already working on a RG 550/ 570 project guitar.....
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottop1972 View Post
i worry about this as well.... I know it would take about 40 bucks to get the luthier to glue and press it for me. the edge is not in perfect condition with some minor pitting. i am pretty sure that i could get my money out of it. but at 150 it would be tight and would probably not be worth the time. i am thinking if i can get it for one bill, i might do it. still contemplating....
It will cost even less to fix it yourself. Titebond, sandpaper, a few toothpicks and a scrap piece of thin plastic from the box that came with something from Walmart.....

Project Guitar has a nice tutorial, as well as Rich.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:23 PM

Reviews: 21

I'm lazy. I'd look for one in better condition. I'm betting you can. For $50 or so more you won't have to deal with the BS of a bad neck.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

Cracks at the locknut bolts don't = bad neck. Common issue with Wizard necks, and easy to fix, just not for lazy people. Depending on the severity of crack, it only takes about 30 minutes to prep and glue. Let harden overnight, and another 30-45 minutes of sanding and finishing.
You've got to love this new Spoon-Fed generation----they'll pass up a killer deal to avoid any kind of minor work.

http://projectguitar.com/tut/crack.htm

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

the luthier that i take my guitars to also waters down the glue a bit to allow it to work into the cracks then clamps it. the one of mine he fixed is really nice. you can still see the crack but it is smooth and sealed tight.

like i said i may go and try to low ball him. if i decide to part it out i will put the parts up and see if anyone here wants them first. maybe i will take some pics today and post them up so we can clear this up once and for all....
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottop1972 View Post
the luthier that i take my guitars to also waters down the glue a bit to allow it to work into the cracks then clamps it. the one of mine he fixed is really nice. you can still see the crack but it is smooth and sealed tight.

like i said i may go and try to low ball him. if i decide to part it out i will put the parts up and see if anyone here wants them first. maybe i will take some pics today and post them up so we can clear this up once and for all....
sounds like a great idea man

Tags
mij , rg470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode