I am planning to buy a Tom Anderson Hollow drop Top - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
zom

I am planning to buy a Tom Anderson Hollow drop Top

Hi,

I am planning to buy a brand new Tom Anderson Hollow drop Top, or order one.
I want to know if there is people who owned or played one ??
What do you think of this guitar ??
If you have any comment (about all you want : sound, pickup, reliability, finish ....), it will be great.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 03:31 PM

Re: I am planning to buy a Tom Anderson Hollow drop Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zom
Hi,

I am planning to buy a brand new Tom Anderson Hollow drop Top, or order one.
I want to know if there is people who owned or played one ??
What do you think of this guitar ??
If you have any comment (about all you want : sound, pickup, reliability, finish ....), it will be great.

Thanks.
Good choice, they're fantastic guitars. I really like the TA's.

Too bad they don't make the Drop Top 7 anymore.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 04:10 PM

Tom makes great stuff. I have two of his guitars, a Pro Am T (which is actually one of the first ones made,) and a Cobra with Fishman piezo bridge. I love his stuff, but I prefer the Cobra serious for most applications. My next Anderson will probably be a CobraS unless, I pickup an old school drop top. If you are ordering one, I would recommend that you go to a dealer of Andersons that has an extensive collection and try out a lot of them. This way you can get an idea of the difference in neck shape, size, frets, woods, pickups, etc. My two are totally different beasts. My proam t is similiar to a drop top minus the top. It is also Tele shaped, but has all of the same contours, pickups, and mine has a Floyd. highly recommended. Tom cares about the quality of his product....and he has been known to answer the phone himself when you call.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
zom

I am planning to buy a Tom Anderson with the piezo bridge, DLHelfand what you think of your Fishman piezo bridge ??
I heard many different things about the piezo, some people said Parker and Musicman guitar have a better sound than a Tom Anderson; some others said that the piezo who feature Tom Anderson guitars are the best sounding in the market.
Tell me what you think of your your Fishman piezo bridge with the cobra, and if you have the opportunity to compare the sound with other guitar (Musicman, carvin ...)

Thanks.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 05:14 PM

As beautiful as i think Tom Anderson guitars are, i think they're outrageously priced, as are most "boutique" Strats like Schecter custom shop jobs, Suhrs, Pensas, etc.

Considering most of those boutique guitars look like they came off the same CNC mill (you could probably buy identical bodies and necks from Warmoth), i think they represent really poor value for the money.

But hey, if i had the cash, a hollow DropTop with piezo might be on my list. They sure are purty.

Polaris20: Have you seen the Schecter USA custom 7's? They look almost identical to Anderson's Drop Top 7... even the Schecter pickups look identical to the Anderson models. I often wonder if there's still some sort of relationship there... a lot of their work looks really similar.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
As beautiful as i think Tom Anderson guitars are, i think they're outrageously priced, as are most "boutique" Strats like Schecter custom shop jobs, Suhrs, Pensas, etc.

Considering most of those boutique guitars look like they came off the same CNC mill (you could probably buy identical bodies and necks from Warmoth), i think they represent really poor value for the money.

But hey, if i had the cash, a hollow DropTop with piezo might be on my list. They sure are purty.

Polaris20: Have you seen the Schecter USA custom 7's? They look almost identical to Anderson's Drop Top 7... even the Schecter pickups look identical to the Anderson models. I often wonder if there's still some sort of relationship there... a lot of their work looks really similar.
No, I really haven't. Everytime I think Schecter these days I think Diamond series (which ain't all bad, but not my cup o tea).

I'll check it out.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 09:23 PM

(off topic)
The top one and the bottom two on this page of Schecter USA custom shop models look sweet.

By the way... are you the same Polaris20 as on the Digidesign boards?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:12 PM

Darren,

No offense but your statement clearly shows your lack of knowledge of these guitars. Anderson, Suhr, Pensa are basically hand made. Sure there are machines involved, but the attention to detail is ridiculous. A Jem that cost $3000, can not touch the quality of ANY of these guitars. The fit and finish is world class. Anderson also include the feiten system which some feel is very important. Vai's Jems are feitened, but the production models aren't. That alone is a $300-$500 feature, should you want it done. When I purchased my first anderson, it was missing the neck. The guitar is from November '86 which is when Anderson started production. Tom agreed to build me a neck to my spec and then reassembled the entire guitar and feitened it. He did this only because he remembered building my guitar back then and because it is a special model. That in itself is amazing, but this is better. The original neck eventually showed up. The neck was in awesome shape, but the original owner ruined the fretboard by scalloping it. He then brought it to a luthier to have it fixed. A new fretboard was glued on, and that was it. That is how I got it. I called Tom and asked if he would fix this one instead of building me a new one for the same price. He would not. The reason was that even though the rest of the neck was near mint, he will not put out a product that he and his team haven't worked on from start to finish. He has this policy because he can't ensure proper quality control otherwise. These small, boutique builders provide excellent value for their products. You can buy a new Anderson Drop Top for not a whole lot more than some new Jems. How can you say that the ANDERSON is overpriced?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:25 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
good commentary, but i'm also of the opinion that these boutique guitars are WAY overpriced. Just as the DNAs and many ibanez and other brand sig models are today. I have no problem admitting that. I just don't see the bang for the buck from a player perspective (who knows the tech setup angle too).

Feiton is a 5 minute mod (if that)... zero extra cost (aside from licensing) for any guitar being built. Just a perspective.

But having a differing opinion is no crime... as there are buyers for these axes.... glad people enjoy them! ...glen
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:36 PM

Glen,

I agree with your view. It is all relative. Price is clearly determined by market. All equip could be cheaper. My problem is when people compare Andersons and Pensas and such to imported, production guitars, that are really made of inferior materials, and call the boutique guitars overpriced. There simply isn't that much of a difference in price, but there is in quality. you are also right about the Feiten, but for many people it will still COST $300-$500 to have it professionally installed on the guitar. Ibanez won't use it because it will cost them to much and dig into its profits. If you know what you are doing, them it would be a cheap mod, but not to have it pro installed.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:47 PM
Vendor

I gotta get into the Feiton mod thing, sounds like about $75 worth of work to me [and I'd be way overpaid at that, but that's alright with me, it'll even out the underpaid jobs I've had]. I'll bet you gotta pay Buzz at least $100 royalty if the "pro" jobs are that expensive. I'll stick with intonating to the last fret, the whole board sounds balanced to me. Now if I could only patent that.....
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:19 PM

Hmm. Not to bust in on your technique rich, but this sounds a little more interesting. Why intonate to the first octave, when you have a two octave neck. makes sense to me. Ive noticed that if I do harmonies in the second octave on different guitars they all sound different. Would that help clear it up a little? I intonate with a korg rack tuner to the 12th fret. Hmmm. ANy insight on this rich?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:51 PM
Vendor

Dude, just try it once, that's all I have to say. If you're going to play harmonics all day no sweat, but if you're actually going to phisically fret the upper registers then the hight of the action isn't acouinted for when you're setting the intonation. Set it so a solid attck is at pitch and let the decay go flat, that way your attack is never sharp unless you want it to be, and the decay can be corrected with vibrato anyway
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 12:02 AM

Harmonies rich not harmonics. LOL. Ive noticed different necks always sound a certain way. but thats an obvious statement I guess. LOL. I was just wondering if this would make the second octave sound better. Thanks Ill try this tommorrow me thinks
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 12:06 AM
Vendor

You typically set intonation using 12trh fret harmonics correct? So if you just play harmonics no problems, the problem comes when you actually have to fret the note

Tags
custom shop , darren wilson , feiten system , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , neck joint , neck shape , piezo bridge , production model , usa custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode