I am thinking of either going piezo bridge or Lace acoustic PU in electric - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

I am thinking of either going piezo bridge or Lace acoustic PU in electric

Don't worry, I am not carving up an Ibanez but an ESP/LTD Viper. It originally came with two passive EMG humbuckers, volume, tone, and three way switch. It now has the two humbuckers with single volume push/pull pot and tone pot has been removed.

I want to either add piezo tune o matic bridge and use free space where there is no longer a tone pot to put in volume control OR put in a Lace Sensor thinline acoustic pickup which looks like a nickel covered humbucker and put a volume control in empty spot.

1) The piezo tune o matic bridge can replace the current tune o matic bridge and I can wire in a volume and maybe tone.

or

2) The Lace Sensor thinline acoustic pickup is the same basic size as a humbucker and I could put into the spot where the regular neck humbucker is right now. I will drill out cavity for the included long shaft acoustic guitar output jack. I suppose the three way switch won't work with two wildly different outputted pickups though but that's OK.

Do either of these proposed projects sound like anything you have ever heard of?
Neither sound too difficult to pull off. I know the only electric solidbody out there with a passable acoustic sound is the Shadow Nanomag and Epiphone has pulled this off in the Ultra Series which also has additional wiring allowing for blending, output control, and USB capability. I don't know if I want to rip up fretboard's last fret which the Shadow requires to put it in.

I don't like too many guitars around and I can only tolerate my main ESP and Ibanez as a backup for occasional use. While I love acoustic guitar sounds with piezo like Takamine or Ovations or Martins all of which I have owned, I don't want to clutter up small house with another guitar nor do I want to get used to super heavy bronze strings again.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Re: I am thinking of either going piezo bridge or Lace acoustic PU in electric

Here's an LR Baggs piezo and Fishman piezo in electric archtop guitar, then in solidbodies. It sounds almost the same as a common Takamine 360 or Ovation roundback with bronze strings.

I have also read any attempts to record with a piezo tune o matic on electric guitar/non-flattop doesn't work for the task, but this is great for playing live and using just one electric guitar which can cross over somewhat convincingly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8cUuMUkAHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zhXIWdba_4

The flat top, spruce top acoustic does get a woodier sound with sharp attack and less sustain where as a dedicated electric guitar with electric guitar strings and piezo sounds kind of like a cross between electric and acoustic.

The piezo in non-dreadnaught is almost good enough for me to pull the trigger but I can get the more authentic tones I want in a $300 dollar dreadnaught with piezo.

But I am still against collecting guitars and clutter and like the one guitar fits all idea.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 01:14 PM

The acoustic pickup on an electric usually doesn't sound very convincing. I recommend you try an epiphone les paul ultra II or ultra III before committing to installing a pickup.

As for a piezo system. They are used a lot but to me a piezo system tends to sound shrill and boomy. Again you just need to check out a peizo equip guitar to see if it is what you want.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
The acoustic pickup on an electric usually doesn't sound very convincing. I recommend you try an epiphone les paul ultra II or ultra III before committing to installing a pickup.

As for a piezo system. They are used a lot but to me a piezo system tends to sound shrill and boomy. Again you just need to check out a peizo equip guitar to see if it is what you want.
Thanks for the comments. I have thought about getting the LP Ultra for that very reason.

I figure if Epi can put a Shadow Nanomag in a solidbody guitar between the neck humbucker and the fretboard and get that pretty good sound, I can do the same with an SG.

I think besides the Shadow Nanomag, Epi put in extra electronics to make the pickup sound even more like an acoustic. Side by side, it's not an Ovation but it does change the way an electric solidbody guitar can approach the attack of an acoustic without having to change guitars. Also the Boss acoustic simulator (link below) is as good as any acoustic pickup in an electric. I tried it out and it's pretty darn good for what it shoots for. The attack is brought from the typical midrangey sustaining electric guitar to a more sharp, less sustaining sound of a piezo on an Ovation. It does lack the woodiness of the Ovation so there's nothing short of the Ovation or Takamine with piezo and onboard EQ. And if you couple that Ovation through a PA with a condenser mic capturing the guitar and then blend the two, then you have the closest thing to just the guitar unplugged in a small, intimate room.

At the end of the day, no amplification of any acoustic instrument is as pure as that instrument unplugged. That woody warmth of a vibrating spruce top is lost when put through even the best mics out there. Maybe one day digital technology will make something warm and acoustic but not shrill but such a product does not exist. Sit down and play a 30+ year old acoustic unplugged and you'll get an experience that is so personal that it is yet to be captured on a CD with any mic and/or digital processing.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...?ProductId=752

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode