I Can't Turn My Volume Potentiometer - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Question I Can't Turn My Volume Potentiometer

I own an Ibanez Prestige w/a Piezo System. Last week I tried to tighten the volume potentiometer of the "normal" guitar but I just can't figure it out. I seems to be unturnable to me... No matter how loose or tight the screw on the pot is, I can't move it...
Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:29 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: I Can't Turn My Volume Potentiometer

get a new pot??

my friend had a UV777 with a stuck volume knob. he just brought it in to gutiar center, and they installed a new one( the one we went to had a pro luthier(i think thats what their called)). it wasnt free, but it was like 20 bucks. not too much. and he got it back working perfectly.

so yea, just get a knew volume pot
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:06 PM

It happened the same to me in my RG2550 Prestige!!! The pot got stuck (luckily at full volume) and i had to replace it, i even opened the old pot... aparently some dirt got stuck between the "pole and the hole", i still have, never could fix it :S

I took it back to the guitar shop where i bought it, but they said they didn't have the technical support to do it... i finally gave up after 3 months and sent the guitar for a complete setup on a great luthier.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:07 PM

Yet another.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:47 PM

let's start a riot
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Dee

Hello. This is "normal". There are thousands of RG's, Prestige's, JEM's, etc, and lots of them have broken pots. There are threads on here about it, and also on the Ibanez forum. I was the one who started the thread on the Ibanez forum where I listed every person's complaint in the hope of a reply from an official Ibanez staff worker, but it went ignored. They don't care.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:09 AM

get everybody you can who has had the problem to start a new thread on ibanez forum about it. new threads, not replys. that'll get noticed..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:51 AM

Great guitars - crap electronic hardware - always been the case. Whenever I buy a Japanese guitar I just automatically assume that I'll be throwing away the pickup switch and output socket some time soon .........
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman View Post
get everybody you can who has had the problem to start a new thread on ibanez forum about it. new threads, not replys. that'll get noticed..
What are they going to do? send a pot. to everyone who complains? all they can do is apologize everyone... and keep making them as they were anyways cos' they don't give a crap :P
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korvus View Post
What are they going to do? send a pot. to everyone who complains?
they already do don't they? it's called a warranty...

nah i meant public acknowledgement of the problem on the ibanez forum. that'd be a start. then if it leads to an eventual change in new models, cool!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Hello. This is "normal". There are thousands of RG's, Prestige's, JEM's, etc, and lots of them have broken pots. There are threads on here about it, and also on the Ibanez forum. I was the one who started the thread on the Ibanez forum where I listed every person's complaint in the hope of a reply from an official Ibanez staff worker, but it went ignored. They don't care.
yes, I in fact had an RG with a broken pot as well.
My Ibanez dealer sent it in to get fixed, and bam, it was done. if done through a dealer, it'll get fixed pretty quick.

you also have to consider, an Ibanez Staff worker has better things to do than to go online and reply to every 562984723804729 threads that exists.
it's tough enough an Ibanez staff worker is answering calls ever second and listing down shipping numbers and such, and so forth, they have lives like we do you know, a family, weekends, and so forth. you wouldn't like to go online after an 8-12 hour shift of answering phone calls, working in the factory, etc, etc now would you?

have respect for Ibanez.
They're doing the best they can.
lets see you open a guitar company, and see if you could do better.

if you have problems with an Ibanez Guitar, take it to an authorized dealer you bought it from. they get needed repairs done. I bought my Ibanez JEM7V-SBL from my local Ibanez dealer, and had no problems with the serivice. if you bought an ibanez used from a friend or ****, you're $hit out of luck, and you have to pay to get it fixed because it doesn't have a warrenty in effect anymore.

besides, it's 20 bucks to fix a broken pot.
no big deal. every pot goes bad at some point.

it doesn't last forever ya know.
dirt, oil, natural wear and tear will occur.

the ibanez company does care, and they helped me with all my Ibanez guitars. (2 JEMs and an RG prestige)
they're service is pretty good through a local dealer.
The guitars i received when I ordered from my dealer came in pristine condition, and no one else played them for sure because it wasn't in guitar center, where a bunch of people play them, and mess up the trem, and strings get old, pickstraches, etc.

when I bought my dad bought my first JEM from GC a while back ago, I was horridly disappointed on how poorly it was setup, so I had my local dealer set it up with new strings.

I didn't like the fact that GC said I would have to pay $50 for a complete setup of a guitar I paid over 2 grand for a few days earlier.

I returned the JEM I bought from GC, and went to my local dealer.

To my surprise he had a JEM7V SBL hanging on the wall.
he didn't have a tag on it yet.

it was used, but almost new, the guy who bought it had it for a few months disliked the trem and traded it for the paisly strat my dealer had on his wall.

the guitar itself and the case was in great condition.
not a single stratch, or dent no nothing, and the guitar was cleaner and shinier than a baby's bottom.

he gave it to me for a grand.
Below half the price of GC.
and it was limited edition run.

and he said, if I had any problems, just bring it in, because he was the one who ordered it, and was still under warrenty.

sorry for the long story.

-James
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 04:53 AM

Reviews: 6

Get a new pot for about $3-$10 not sure how much one costs exactly, and install it yourself, if you get a good quality pot now, you will have no more problems with broken pots.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman View Post
they already do don't they? it's called a warranty...

nah i meant public acknowledgement of the problem on the ibanez forum. that'd be a start. then if it leads to an eventual change in new models, cool!
Yeah, but even if it's still covered by warranty, that will not solve anything, the only thing they should do is apologize, that's all. Oh and yes, they should try to fix that on the next models... but i doubt it will be that easy...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 AM

how hard can changing volume pot model supply be?

Apologizing would be acknowledgement, we're saying the same thing, that and fixing it on future models is the most anyone could expect..

jemma's man- i think you totally missed the point, nobody's flaming ibanez and ibanez do comment often in their forum. but they ignore this issue so far... is it unfair of people to expect a working guitar that won't lock up on them mid concert/recording?
these things happen, it's not intentional on ibanez's part but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Great guitars - crap electronic hardware - always been the case. Whenever I buy a Japanese guitar I just automatically assume that I'll be throwing away the pickup switch and output socket some time soon .........
They didn't used to be crap, and actually I don't think the newer ones are crap either, this is just a dodgy batch of pots. I have 20 year old Ibanez electronics that are still functioning perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemma_Ann's_man View Post
you also have to consider, an Ibanez Staff worker has better things to do than to go online and reply to every 562984723804729 threads that exists.
it's tough enough an Ibanez staff worker is answering calls ever second and listing down shipping numbers and such, and so forth, they have lives like we do you know, a family, weekends, and so forth. you wouldn't like to go online after an 8-12 hour shift of answering phone calls, working in the factory, etc, etc now would you?
Well, nope. I wouldn't. What I would expect though, is an answer from one of the official forum staff to the ONE thread I started. There wasn't 562984723804729 of them. You think I was seriously expecting an answer from a luthier that just finished buffing 200 RG bodies? LOL!

Quote:
have respect for Ibanez.
They're doing the best they can.
lets see you open a guitar company, and see if you could do better.
Oh my days...

I DO have respect for Ibanez -- why the hell do you think I've been playing them for the last 20 years? Honestly dude, maybe you need to know a little more about me and the pot thread situation before you start moralising over here? All I (and most other people) wanted from Ibanez was acknowledgement that there was a huge batch of dodgy pots being fitted to high-end guitars and I wanted to make the problem known so that people knew what to expect. Is there something wrong with that? I voiced my opinion and posted all the details at THE OFFICIAL IBANEZ FORUM. The forum they set up to get feedback from their customers. Is there something wrong with that?

Quote:
if you have problems with an Ibanez Guitar, take it to an authorized dealer you bought it from. they get needed repairs done. I bought my Ibanez JEM7V-SBL from my local Ibanez dealer, and had no problems with the serivice. if you bought an ibanez used from a friend or ****, you're $hit out of luck, and you have to pay to get it fixed because it doesn't have a warrenty in effect anymore.
I bought my last Ibanez from Rich Harris. He lives several thousand miles away. If I could have dropped my guitar off at his house, I would have. Meanwhile, I don't have an official dealer, I get my guitars imported because in my country the prices SUCK. Big time.

Quote:
besides, it's 20 bucks to fix a broken pot.
no big deal. every pot goes bad at some point.

it doesn't last forever ya know.
dirt, oil, natural wear and tear will occur.
After 3 days of owning a brand new guitar? Dream on. That wasn't dirt, oil, etc. That was a dodgy batch of pots, and the problem still isn't fixed. There is no way my pot should have broken on a brand new limited edition instrument that was 3 days old.

So, again, please understand the situation before you try to lecture me in respect for Ibanez. I ain't some disrespectful kid who broke his guitar, I'm an Ibanez user for the last 20 years, and, for the benefit of the customers, I simply tried to highlight a problem which Ibanez won't acknowledge.

Tags
david mccarroll , guitar shop , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , pickup switch , piezo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode